Treeline 23-Mar-20
Fuzzy 23-Mar-20
Huntcell 23-Mar-20
Fuzzy 23-Mar-20
Whocares 08-Apr-20
Ambush 21-Jul-21
Ambush 21-Jul-21
09-Oct-19
I had a request for the recipie for my "better than Clif Bars" meal bars and cant find the thread. So I'm re posting the recipie:

09-Oct-19
Fuzzy Meal Bars: 1 cup each of: Honey (or molasses, maple syrup, agave syrup, your choice) Non fat buttermilk powder Flax Seed meal Uncooked steel cut oats (not oatmeal or rolled oats and NOT quick-cook) Shredded unsweetened coconut Finely Chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts , cashews, pine nuts, pepitas, sunflower seeds) Chopped dried fruit (dates, figs, prunes, raisins, currants, cranberries)

Heat the honey or syrup in a pot to anout 120 degrees (til it’s hot to the touch and very thin) Remove from heat With a wooden spoon Stir in the powdered milk, then the flax seed meal, then fold in the oats , then the shredded coconut

(It starts getting pretty thick about here, so it’s a bit of work), fold in the nuts, then the dried fruit. (The order you add things is important, because each ingredient thickens the mix, and you want the first three ingredients well mixed. The fruit and nuts should be distributed evenly but it’s not as critical.) Working quickly, lightly oil a 9” pyrex dish with olive oil, dump the warm mass in the dish, and press it out as flat as possible with th wooden spoon. Chill in the refrigerator a couple hours, then cut into 12 equal squares. I wrap mine in aluminum foil that I’ve oiled slightly with olive oil. They travel well in a pocket, backpack or lunchbox. They’ll soften a bit in heat but they don’t get runny or sticky.

The glycemic index is low, protein to carb ratio is high, each bar is about 315 calories. Calories from carb and from protein are about 50/50

09-Oct-19
I make mine with Agave, really tasty, and plenty of calories to get you through a morning of serious "running and gunning".

Thanks for sharing again, Fuzzy!

09-Oct-19
Can we name them something besides fuzzy?

09-Oct-19
Sounds great, but i'd agree, new name? Haha, I make a bar pretty similar, but instead of powdered milk I use a scoop of protein powder which helps the macros.

Great idea and will try them out!

09-Oct-19
Yep...A new name. So many bad things come to mind. :)

09-Oct-19
Sink bar ?

09-Oct-19
nope...Fuzzy ;)

09-Oct-19
Well hell brother ya got everything but in it . Fuzzy bar it is

09-Oct-19
Lol real men don't manscape

09-Oct-19
I feel sorry for you guys, if you've never eaten anything "fuzzy"...

09-Oct-19
Sounds like a granola bar with mold growing in it.

18-Oct-19
elkmtngear wins this one ;)

18-Oct-19
Thanks for the recipe. BGbasbhat: What do you mean when you say “a scoop of protein powder which helps the macros.”? What are macros?

18-Oct-19
Macros is the nutritional breakdown/proportions (carbs vs protein vs fat) of the ingredients. So he is saying you can increase your protein content in the bar by subbing protein powder for milk powder.

18-Oct-19
Thanks woodguy65. MA-Bowhunter, depending upon your nutritional needs/wants, macros are the building blocks behind calories. 1000 calories of ice cream is different than 1000 calories of elk loin...and subsequently the desired impact on energy/body is different too.

18-Oct-19
Sorry if I am hi-jacking here... but does anybody have a good suggestion on protein powder- No Nuts or Peanuts!!! And a good substitute for nuts in these bars?

Yes I have a nut and peanut allergy!

Thanks!

18-Oct-19
BGbasbha, having just finished a cup of ice cream, that comparison hit home!

Thank you.

21-Oct-19
Scar Finga, I've used sunflower seeds and roasted pumpkin seeds with great results.

21-Oct-19
Thanks Fuzzy, I am looking at some other options as well... Thanks for the PM's Guys!

21-Oct-19
Scar Finga, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey is just that, pretty much the gold standard, and has no peanuts. I've used MusclePharm Combat also, but that is made in a factory that processes peanuts.

Both are at Costco, just MusclePharm is cheaper.

21-Oct-19
Excellent, Thank You Sir. That may be the one I go with.

21-Oct-19
You bet. They are all pretty much the same from a protein perspective. They will bump up the price if they have other fillers/additives, but most of that stuff is BS anyway.

07-Mar-20

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Bars, cut, wrap
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Bars, cut, wrap
Finally located all the ingredients and made a batch today.

Thanks for the recipe, went together nicely.

Taste great.

08-Mar-20
Based on Huntcell's photos, it kinda resembles some bear scat I've seen. Only rectangular. Maybe add some Cacao to the recipe... the branding options are unlimited.

08-Mar-20
I found some fuzzy dehydrated lasagna in the back of fridge you can try...?

08-Mar-20
Hmmm note to self, roll into a big long cylinder and slice into sections for snacking at campfire next bear camp.

08-Mar-20
This looks like a winner to me

10-Mar-20
I made a batch last week with almond flour substituted for the coconut. They are great.

btw I've started dusting them well with coconut (or almond) flour, and bagging them in Ziploc sandwich bags instead of the oiled foil.

14-Mar-20
Made a batch last night and had a bar for breakfast this morning. Awesome recipe, thanks for sharing. I used chocolate iso-whey protein powder in place of the buttermilk powder, yummy. Also used agave syrup, slivered almonds and prunes for my fruit.

19-Mar-20
I've made the last three batches with agave, it works great, makes a bit softer bar. I put coconut chips and dark chocolate covered espresso beans in the last batch

19-Mar-20
Does the agave replace something else or just added?

20-Mar-20
it replaces the honey, (or molasses or maple syrup)

22-Mar-20
Hey Fuzzy thanks for the recipe. Like the others, I finally rounded up the ingredients which was a tall task with wack-O-mania in full swing, and made the bars two days ago. There are two grocery stores in this small town where I live, and for some stupid reason, powdered buttermilk, as it turns out, is as important as toilet paper when fighting off zombies or the boogie man. So I made them with plain ol powdered milk. Yumeeeeee Now I'm gonna have to start farmin some bees cause I'm gonna be burnin through the honey! Anyhow, thanks again. I'll be using this recipe alot, especially before elk season rolls around.

23-Mar-20
WyoBadger I'm sorry I didn't post the substitution, yes I use powdered milk and powdered buttermilk interchangeably, buttermilk is a little lower in carbs and is better for lactose intolerant folks. Oddly, in my area I can get all the powdered buttermilk I want but can't get powdered milk! This stuff is nuts.

23-Mar-20
Your allowed in the store? WTH! I'm being met with armed response anytime I get near one lol

23-Mar-20
lol....Dave let me know what ya need (besides beer) and I'll ship it to ya

23-Mar-20
I use my "Health Inspector" badge and they gotta let me in ;)

23-Mar-20
And another one added to the favorites list from Fuzzy!

Will have to make up a batch of these for backpack and hunting trips.

Thanks Fuzzy!

23-Mar-20
I'm glad y'all could use the recipie fellas.

23-Mar-20
Great recipe, easy to make. Versatile with substituting different ingredients . Has anyone tried substituting something else for the uncooked steel cut oats? Like uncooked old fashion rolled oats or some other grain?

23-Mar-20
Huntcell I tried rolled oats and didn't like the texture. Might try oat flour next batch

08-Apr-20
Made a batch tonight. Heavy duty and good. Question, how do you keep them, how long. I put mine in the frig for now. Can they be frozen? Or just left out??

21-Jul-21
So I made a batch of Fuzzy bars last night to try out for an upcoming hot weather hunt. I substituted in almond flavored whey powder, but otherwise as per recipe. The taste and texture is a winner! And being a patriotic Canadian, I bought the bottle labeled “Maple Syrup, eh”.

Next is cnelk's bagged granola breakfasts.

21-Jul-21

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
“Infernal Error” message wouldn’t let me attach pics to the previous post.

• Sitka Gear