HUNT MAN 11-Oct-19
Mule Power 11-Oct-19
WV Mountaineer 11-Oct-19
HDE 11-Oct-19
Whocares 11-Oct-19
Cazador 11-Oct-19
DEMO-Bowhunter 14-Oct-19
09-Oct-19
Booked an Ontario moose hunt. What kind of backpack do I want for packing out meat? Do I want an external frame pack? Any recommendations? Sick of dragging whitetails over a mile so might start boning my deer out at home too. Thanks

09-Oct-19
I’ve used both a Kifaru frame with lashing kit and a grab it along with a Stone Glacier once. Both worked well. I also like the Barney’s frame for heavy loads but I’d never use it for an entire hunt as a pack.

09-Oct-19
My son and I both did well packing moose in our kifaru packs this year, any one of the big 3 kifaru exo or stone glacier would probably do you well.

09-Oct-19

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I think for just packing meat then a pack frame like A Barney’s or similar type frame is the way to go. Whatever you choose a couple 6 foot cam straps and some bunjees straps are invaluable !!

09-Oct-19
I recommend a horse for any moose you have to pack! Packing out moose is always a chore

09-Oct-19
I wouldn’t trade my Exo for anything...

09-Oct-19
Just for packing heavy loads of meat - Barneys frame or a Kelty Cache Hauler will do just fine

09-Oct-19
Badlands Ox Frame

09-Oct-19
Kifaru with a duplex frame has served me well on a few moose hunts. Also used a MR Marshall that worked great as well. I’m a “meat in the pack” guy, so I like a big bag with a stout frame for moose. I do not care for external frames, though the Barney’s could haul a Volkswagen I think.

10-Oct-19

standswittaknife's embedded Photo
standswittaknife's embedded Photo
I’ve owned or had experience with Kuiu, kifaru (reckoning), exo k1&2, and for me the exo is king.. i just bought a K2 frame to try but my k1 original frame has packed out Alaskan moose, shirus, and many elk (including two bulls this year) how the meat straps to the frame then the pack comes over is key. Absolutely love them. I also like the attach the kifaru grab it to my exo.. like that feature.

10-Oct-19
Barney’s and the badlands Ox are my two favorite straight weight systems. I wouldn’t choose those for a long term backpack hunt though

10-Oct-19

10-Oct-19

BigSkyHntr's embedded Photo
BigSkyHntr's embedded Photo
I love my Eberlestock mainframe! Has a lot of options and served me very well. Used it on a moose hunt in AK 2 yrs ago

10-Oct-19
Nice Bulls

10-Oct-19
Meat alone, get a framed pack. But, for what you described as your primary use, any of the brands making hunting packs that attached to a frame would serve your purpose best. I use them for the same here. Kifaru is what I prefer. But, a mile of deer meat ain’t going to break you in cheaper offerings either.

10-Oct-19
I've hauled out a dozen or so elk and a moose or two with my tatonka LASTENKRAXE pack with the packsack, great pack, I love that it stands up alone so I get into it and stand up

10-Oct-19
For straight up meat and whole skull packing I like an external frame pack. I use a Barneys freighter. It’ll pack anything you can lift.

10-Oct-19

DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo
What kind of backpack do I want for packing out meat? This one!!
DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo
What kind of backpack do I want for packing out meat? This one!!
On a serious note, I have used the Cabela's metal external framed packs and the Kifaru external and would take the Kifaru's from now on. For just meat hauling, get a quarter panel and some straps and you can haul anything you want on the Kifaru frame.

10-Oct-19
I just packed my first 2 moose. I tried a buddy's frame and used my kifaru. The kifaru with 140# was like taking a day off compared to the pack frame with 100#. Neither was very difficult but the frame was definitely uncomfortable in comparison. I'll stick with an internal frame myself.

10-Oct-19

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I’m a fan of Kifaru packs! I really like that you can cinch them down for day hunts, yet load them up with heavy loads and they are comfy

10-Oct-19
Thanks guys, I'll definitely check out the suggestions. I have a couple years yet so I have time to shop around. I'll be driving to the hunting area every day so my hope is I also might be able to use the same sled and cart I use on whitetails if conditions are right.

10-Oct-19
How are you guys washing your bags after packing meat. My pack smells like death after washing it in baking soda and peroxide many times. Is there a better way?

10-Oct-19
Might be able to get rid of the smell with one of those little ionized air units for scent elimination. We bought a 60$ unit off Amazon that looks exactly likes the ones they sell for hunting. Did a good job on pet smells.

10-Oct-19
I usually double bag mine Hunt, but when I have an issue, I spray with scent eliminator, wash with baking soda, hose down and repeat. Eventually it goes away... ;)

10-Oct-19
I carry meat in between the bag and frame. In fact, don't even need the bag if you don't want to use it and still carry a load easily. Don't have to worry about scent elemination if there is a leak...

11-Oct-19
After a hunt if I get blood in mine. I soak my bag in cold water. Usually that’s all I do. Or I can wash it in a washing machine.

11-Oct-19
Another Kifaru Fan Boy here too! My Nomad can do it all from whitetail to moose so far!

11-Oct-19
I started using construction grade garbage bags to line my pack, huge difference, keeps the pack clean, no more death smell

11-Oct-19
I put my bloody pack in the bathtub with gentle detergent and let it soak for awhile. Rinse and hose off - hang outside to dry

11-Oct-19
I always bring a construction grade trash bag from now on. Makes a ton of difference. I also never carry meat in the pack, but between the frame and pack.

11-Oct-19
Thanks guys.

11-Oct-19
Thanks guys.

11-Oct-19
Water with 10% bleach.

11-Oct-19
I just soak mine in the bath tub for a bit, get a wash cloth and scrub the spots, air dry it and re use. I pack between the bag and the frame too.

11-Oct-19
^^^ Heavy duty plastic bags inside durable canvas type game bags do wonders to prevent leaks.

11-Oct-19
Been using the Cabellas Alaskan for many years. External frame. Use it when I pack my camp in and have packed meat in the pack. Just soak in cold water and a little bleach and its clean. Prefer to just put elk quarter in a game bag and tie to the frame. Has a shelf. Hindquarters ride like 20#'s! A good waist belt that rides well on the hips is a key for all of them.

11-Oct-19
@ hunt

Step 1 empty successful cooler of meat to freezer.

Step 2 Spay out cooler with hose.

Step 2a. Open beer.

Step 3 put car wash soap (might not have that in MT) in bottom of cooler and spay it with hose to foam up until cooler fills up.

Step 4 cooler half or 3/4 full of soapy water throw pack in there and watch blood pour out. Let sit for a couple minutes or days if needed.

Step 5 pull out hang on nail forget about it until next hunt.

14-Oct-19
I just throw mine in the washer machine and they've cleaned up pretty well so far.

• Sitka Gear