Quinn @work 12-Oct-19
BIG BEAR 14-Oct-19
Zim 14-Oct-19
Zim 14-Oct-19
RK 14-Oct-19
10-Oct-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
After a couple years of planning, my cousin, Rudy & his wife Ann, have arrived in the US from Chengdu, China for his first ever bow hunt of any kind. There is no real hunting in his country. We will be hunting some public and private land in NW Indiana. He is a member at the Chengdu Archery Club and has 5 traditional bows at home, but no take downs so I started by finding him a Fred Bear TD on Craig’s List. He arrived and shot this group from 15 yards his first time touching the bow. Looking forward to him just seeing his first legal game.

10-Oct-19
How does that work for him for buying a hunting license ?? In Michigan he would be required to attend hunters safety first before buying a license I believe.... Enjoy !!

10-Oct-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Day 1 - This whole hunt is going to be hang-n-hunt with LW Assault climbers because I just moved here from tax crippled Illinois. So I am not familiar with the Indiana public nor private we will be tackling. I am relying on aerial scouting and boots on the ground as we go. First day was more or less a practice run emphasizing tree stand safety. It was hot so there were no other hunters. Got to see where others had their stands set. Taught Rudy how to use safety harness and climber. He caught on fast. Took one practice shot as well. No game seen.

Big Bear - Rudy is exempt by 4 years. Indiana requires 1986 and he was born in 1982. Also I am a former hunter’s Ed instructor with 30 years experience hunting so he is good.

10-Oct-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Day 2 - Got out late for another evening hunt. Packed up and headed for the most remote corner of the public. Very few stands seen this time. Only two way back in there. But also zero active crop fields. All being rested for CRP. Not much deer sign but after 1.5 miles finally found some active trails do we quickly set up in two trees about 10 yards apart. At last light, Rudy saw the first legal game in his life. A doe with two fawns walked past within 30 yards of him. He was pretty amazed. A special day.

10-Oct-19

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Day 3 - We each left our climbers in our same trees for this morning’s hunt. I felt really good about this spot due to the cold morning and we had those deer walk past yesterday. Hiked in 1 1/2 miles uneventfully. No other hunters seen. We got in up in our trees quietly and at 9 am had our only two visitors. Two does cut into the timber right where I expected and came right under my tree. Rudy was wide eyed. Only negative was he screwed in his bow holder on the wrong side of his tree. He had to turn around to grab it. And had no arrow nocked. But he managed to grab it and load up. I sat there watching helplessly as he hesitated. The bigger doe walked in front of him wide open broadside at 7 yards, stood there and said shoot me. He froze, later telling me he thought the doe would see him draw. In fact both deer had their heads down. Finally after a few minutes of indecision the gig was up and they bounded off. Oh well I felt we did good getting him a shot opportunity on this heavily pressured public on only our third try.

JTV - Yes, Kingsbury.

10-Oct-19
Good luck! Hope he gets a shot at his first one. I’ll never forget my first arrow released.

10-Oct-19
Good luck! How exciting for him! Keep up the hard work it will happen

10-Oct-19
Good luck get it done Rudy!

10-Oct-19
This is fun!

10-Oct-19
Haha every time I call him his American name it reminds me of Rudy from the movie. Both our hunting properties are less than an hour from Touchdown Jesus. :)

10-Oct-19
That's awesome! Well done! Good luck Rudy - hope you see more deer, and get a chance at one!

10-Oct-19
Get em dead. We will be watching

10-Oct-19
Pretty cool! Good luck and I hope he is able to connect.

10-Oct-19
Took the day off to take wives to Outlet Mall then touch base with neighbor who manages nearby 75 acre berry farm. We were invited to deer & turkey hunt there when we met last March. He confirmed it’s a go. Property is not huge but great habitat, great surrounding habitat, and no other bow hunters. So with rain all day tomorrow we will drop by to scout. Great timing because big cold front blows through that night with 32 degree low and 20 mph winds. Deer should be hoppin. We have Sat-Mon to make it happen. The balance of their visit is devoted to Chicago tourist stuff.

This manager told me this property is loaded with wild turkey so hoping Rudy will see his first one close up Saturday. He saw just two so far while we were hunting. Both at very long distances across grassy fields.

11-Oct-19
Good on you for introducing a new hunter to bow hunting Ken

Good luck, Robb

11-Oct-19
Every time I see it, it cracks me up that there are two of us with the handle "Will" on here. (I was the first Will to post above). Good luck Rudy!

12-Oct-19
A pair of Zim's as well.

12-Oct-19
Yup, I'm the original. Bowsiter since 1996.

12-Oct-19
Good luck guys and enjoy your visit here Rudy!

12-Oct-19
I think the other Zim is “Zim1”

12-Oct-19
Which was the Zim-Zimmerman? That had all the mail Order wives?

That was some funny reads back in the day. Maybe Zim-1??

12-Oct-19
I really hope Rudy gets a good opportunity at one. It's awesome that he's here and can experience the freedoms we all have.

We as Americans should never not appreciate the right we have to sit in a tree with a bow in this country with a deer tag. We all should never forget the sacrifice that hundreds of thousands have made to keep our great country free to do it.

God bless America!

14-Oct-19
So how’s it going Zim ? Is this your last day to hunt with Rudy ?

14-Oct-19
Day 4 - Have been unable to meet up with land manager at the private site. Not sure why. So we are back to Kingsbury for now. Tried a new spot Sunday evening. Tree stands every 50 yards, but all empty. No deer seen. Ya conditions were great this morning but failed to get enough sleep last night so slept in. Heading back now to scout and hunt both this evening and tomorrow morning. Not excited about this public. Grossly over hunted.

14-Oct-19
I’ll likely go bow hunt Illinois when IN firearm season opens. I’m quite sure there will be a rump for every empty stand I’m seeing out there now.

14-Oct-19
JTV

WTF. All that going on with public. Time to move. Good lord way to much

• Sitka Gear