Teeton 11-Oct-19
WI Shedhead 11-Oct-19
PECO 11-Oct-19
Jaquomo 11-Oct-19
SixLomaz 11-Oct-19
Twinetickler 11-Oct-19
FORESTBOWS 11-Oct-19
10-Oct-19
While we all wait for the conclusion of Cnelk and Deerticks elk hunt I have been going through my backpacking gear. One thing I need to upgrade is a decent pack tent. I like a tent over a hammock etc, but need to upgrade from an el cheapo to decent 2 man. This has probably been kicked around before, but what are you all running or suggest? A couple I have looked at that looked decent for a good price is the Kelty Salida, or maybe jumping up to a Big Agnes....Sell me on one! Thanks!

10-Oct-19
I personally like the Big Agnes Copper Spur. Reasonably priced. Reasonably light, and reasonably good quality. It’s not top of the line any any category IMO, but a pretty decent choice for mid priced options. Worth a look at least.

—Jim

10-Oct-19
I used to really like one of the Sierra Designs tents as a 3-season. It worked out great for my brother because it had 2 BIG vestibules and he and his wife had 2 big dogs keeping them company. Then the damn bear stomped it.

They’re not especially light, but REI tents have always been a lot of bang for the buck...

10-Oct-19
Those Sierra Designs look intriguing, they haven't been on my radar. Thanks for the input!

10-Oct-19
I concur with Jtreeman for a “mid price” option. Used one for years and it served me well.

10-Oct-19
Nemo Dagger 2p. Awesome tent, lots of room, and not terribly heavy. If you want a lighter one go with the Nemo Hornet 2p. Another awesome choice.

10-Oct-19
MSR NX Hubba Bubba

10-Oct-19
I like big agnes. I have both the Fly Creek 2p and Copper Spur 3p. Both have their uses and are high quality and light weight

10-Oct-19
What is your definition of "Mid-priced"? Not sure how these 2 are set up but a 2+ person definitely needs to be side load (dbl doors) with dual vestibules. IMHO, the number of people you plan on sleeping in a tent dictates a 1-up tent size., i.e., to be comfortable, 2 people really need a 3P tent, etc....

10-Oct-19
I would like to stay at or below $200. It will just be for me and my gear so two person seems to make sense. I would like to stay under 5lbs, but a couple oz isn't going to kill me.

10-Oct-19
Definitely agree get a two person tent even if your hunting solo. Usually on Black Friday there are some killer deals on tents.

10-Oct-19
Couple thoughts on some above suggestions. The MSR mentioned above is roomy with the steep walls, but to me it’s a no go because the vestibules suck.

The Nemo that Brotsky mentioned looks nice, but the pics I see look like the rain fly sits pretty high. I personally don’t like that, I prefer the fly pretty tight to the ground.

I do like the Sierra Design stuff. I certainly agree that you should upsize by 1 person over what you expect to have in there. One guy in a one man is doable, but 2 in a 2 man is brutal IMO!

I would also look at Kuiu. They seem pretty competitive and are a “hunting oriented” company. Which is important to me when comparing with some other outdoor companies these days.

—Jim

10-Oct-19
Oh, just saw the $200 price point. That is gonna make things a little harder. I’m a buy better, buy once guy. Maybe save a couple months and bump the budget just a bit. Good luck.

—Jim

10-Oct-19
Buy used for sure. $200 should get you a very nice 2P tent and 2P is a minimum for one person. Check Rokslide, and the usual classifieds.

10-Oct-19
Man I just jumped on Ebay and there was a Big Agnes Blacktail 2 that was just about to end. I pid on it and picked it up for $160. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the input fellas!

11-Oct-19
I have the BA 2 man copper spur....I can't imagine being in there with two people though....and I wouldn't exactly call it mid price, but I spent 12 hours hiding from 5 inches of rain that fell overnight earlier this summer and was dry as a bone. It packs small and light.

11-Oct-19

Teeton's Link
I've had mostly high end 2 man tents $250 and up price range.. This year I got a new one from Hyke & Byke and I really liked it It was the Yosemite 2 it has a liter fly Pu 2000 over their Zion 2 with the Pu 5000 fly.. They both come with a PU5000 foot print that clips to the tent, gear loft, 4 side pockets, 2 doors, nice stakes and a stake driver. The Yosemite (the one I got for weight) is only like 5.5 lbs with foot print. I also liked the the Yosemite had a higher tub to keep water and snow out. They have a life time warranty The cost of theses is great.. First time buyers can get 15.00 off there first purchase.. Ed

Heres a link to them. https://www.hykeandbyke.com/collections

11-Oct-19
X2 on the big Agnes tents. Have had mine for 8 years and it’s been one of the best pieces of gear I own

11-Oct-19
I have an old, 2 man Northface that is a great tent. My wife and I and one husky were cozy in it. I have a Mountain Hardware 3 person with the side entry that is also a great tent. My wife and I and 2 huskies were cozy in it.

11-Oct-19
I have more tents than sense. My favorite for what the OP described is a BA Copper Spur HV UL. A little roomier than the standard model, weighs 3 pounds, well made. Bought it new at a great price when REI was shedding the previous year's models.

IMO, tents are one item where you pretty much get what you pay for.

11-Oct-19

SixLomaz's Link
Look at Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person 3 Season Tent for $135 + tax. You will not regret the purchase. I used one in 2018 for 3 weeks in CO elk hunting and ever since twice a year camping here and there. I am a happy camper, pun intended. At 5 lbs 9oz complete is a solid backpacking tent with plenty space at 35 sq feet. The Big Agnes Blacktail you got is only 29 sq feet.

11-Oct-19
Six that looks like a pretty solid buy. I'm going to try this Big Agnes one out and go from there. It's very similar in setup with two doors and two vestibules, keep my gear in one and use the other for entry and exit. Looks like there are a lot of options out there.

11-Oct-19
My 2 man Eureka is awesome

• Sitka Gear