COHOYTHUNTER 19-Oct-19
JL 19-Oct-19
ElkNut1 20-Oct-19
Franklin 20-Oct-19
ElkNut1 20-Oct-19
GF 20-Oct-19
ElkNut1 20-Oct-19
13-Oct-19
I'm looking to lighten my setup for next year. At present my 35" bow weighs in at 6.4# -- I'd like to be closer to a finish weight of around 5# ---

I have a 5 arrow Tight Spot quiver, MGB Ascent 3 pin Sight & a Qad Hdx rest, no stabilizer. What bow may fit my needs? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

13-Oct-19
If you can find a 2014 Carbon Spyder Turbo there pretty light. I use a hip quiver so that weight isn't added. I'd recommend any carbon bow with a B-stinger hex Stablizer.

13-Oct-19
Bowtech makes a 3.2lb Carbon bow. It’s not the fastest bow out there. Pse carbon stealth ec is fast and ridiculously light. I really liked it but I wasn’t spending 1500 dollars on a bow. That’s probably the route to go. Especially now that they are a couple years old and you can pick them up used.

13-Oct-19
The new PSE Carbon Mach 1 might fit

13-Oct-19
@ Paul, not derail the thread, how did you and you son do this year?

13-Oct-19
Go full traditional, or just drop the sights, stay with no stabilizer, leave the drop-away rest and release. Go barebow with fingers, MAYBE a finger tab.... be very light and mobile, less than 4.8lbs... Of course those 100 yard shots are out... but then again none of us are Tim Wells! :} Just find what you enjoy and then stay with it! An extra pound on a bow is nothing if you are confident and accurate at your max range. Find other ways to lighten your load.

Just my thoughts, but I struggle with the heavy bows as well, and have decided to change my entire setup! It may limit me, but that's what I really enjoy... close and personal!

Hope you find what you are looking for!

13-Oct-19
Take quiver off and carry to the side or back. Use composite whisker biscuit rest. Use composite housing front sight.

13-Oct-19
Huh, I thought ElkNut hunted with a longbow. When I haul my treestand and sticks to the elk woods I always carry my recurve or r/d longbow to save some weight.

13-Oct-19
2x on the Bowtec's, I have the Diamond Deploy SB, same carbon knight riser as Bowtec bow's, bow alone is 3.2#, mine with all accessories comes in at 4.8#. 29" draw, 58#, 510gr arrow shoots 267fps, 470gr arrow @ 282fps. Went to the lighter set up due to shoulder issues of holding anything heavier with my bowarm.

13-Oct-19
Thanks a bunch guys!

Dennis, that sounds what I'm looking for, man I really appreciate it! I will certainly check it out! Thank You!

Chad, no bulls down this year for my Son or I. I called it several for my Son & a friend, missed 3 shots & ended in no elk! First time in 30 years my Son or I didn't tag out, heh that's elk hunting, the bulls gotta win some I guess! (grin) I hope you did great bud!

Bob, yes we've hunted with longbows & have taken some nice bulls. (9) With time restraints being tough these days we've had a tough time putting in the needed time trad gear requires! Good luck to you!

ElkNut/Paul

14-Oct-19
Those 2014 Carbon Spyder Turbos are like unicorns, hard to find. I suspect because their owners love them and don't sell them. Even the regular Carbon Spyder 34s aren't real available. I would love to find a 50# 2014 CST in 29" draw.

14-Oct-19
Mark, I hear ya! I need something to tinker with plus I don't like the 35" bow that much, it shoots awesome & only has 50 arrows through it since brand new! It's a mind thing, I want a lighter bow for grins! -- Honestly, I don't have the time to shoot Longbows any longer, they require daily use for me, thanks!

Kyle. Steve, I think that's the bow I'm looking for, of course it will be hard to find! (big grin) I'll start the search, thanks all!

ElkNut/Paul

14-Oct-19
The best place is Archertalk for used bows. Like stated the Carbon Spyder a Turbo are hard to find. I have a LH and it's 55-65lbs. I'm not sure I'll ever part with it's just a great bow.

14-Oct-19
Thank Paul. firsts for everything. Next year they will all be big 6 points.

Good luck on the bow selection.

14-Oct-19
You might get a bad skin reaction on your hand, but a Mathews Heli'm is exactly what you're looking for. Light and compact, shoots good and decent speed. My favourite backpacking bow. I chipped a limb on mine so put on new limbs, string and cable. Brand new seven year old bow.

14-Oct-19
Craig, thanks! Just saw one on Ebay in a 33" model. Do they come in a 32" or is 33" the shortest?

Chad, not a big deal. For some reason this year I just didn't have the killing mentality for myself. I only carried a bow a handful of days out of 23 days hunted. Had enough close encounters for tags to be punched, shots were just missed, one at 17 & one at 20 yards, go figure, both 6 points. I also called in 4-5 others. All in all it was a lot of fun & over 150 miles of boot leather burned. All OTC stuff. Gotta love the challenge! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

14-Oct-19
Bow tech Carbon Icon is 32 inches I think. Very light bow.

14-Oct-19
Not a carbon bow, but still very light and 32" A to A is the Xpedition Xcursion 6 or 7 3.9 lbs and smoking fast.

19-Oct-19
Hoyt carbon spider 30 is another good option.. I liked that better that the turbo

19-Oct-19

JL's Link
FWIW....the new APA Mamba 28 XR might fit the bill and it's not over the top expensive. Plus like all the APA bows, it has some great, useful features the other bows don't have.

Perfect for archers that like to hike in light and pack out heavy. A Smooth, Lightweight, Extreme-Performance, Compact Bow.

IBO/ATA – up to 350fps Brace Height – 7 1/8” Axle to Axle – 28? Let Off – 80% Physical Weight – 3.6lbs Draw Weights – 40, 50, 60, 70 Draw Lengths – 25?- 30? Kinetic Energy – 95.23@70

Their Mamba 33 is 3.8 lbs however you can get it up to 90lbs draw and a 31.5 DL.

20-Oct-19
Thanks guys! Lots of food for thought!

JL, sweet looking bows!

ElkNut/Paul

20-Oct-19
I see guys buy a superlight bow then put 2 stabilizers on them because they can`t hold it steady....lol. Kind of defeats the purpose....I have a superlight bow and not a fan of it.

20-Oct-19
Well, in over 30 years I've not used a single stabilizer & have hunted plenty of years with 32" bows. I think I'll be OK! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

20-Oct-19
Sorry, Bud..... With the number of days you hunt, the range on the shots you missed, and the miles that you put in, I am NOT buying your bit about not feeling like you can be up to snuff with a Longbow.

And with the miles you put in, I can’t imagine dragging a Compound around... I’d rather carry my GPR than a wheelbow.

20-Oct-19
Being confident with a Longbow requires everyday shooting for myself out to 35-40 yards. I prefer the compound these days, personal decision.

I did not miss an elk this year, it was others that I called bulls in for that did. Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear