Nellidog 14-Oct-19
Nellidog 14-Oct-19
cnelk 14-Oct-19
Mertyman 14-Oct-19
altitude sick 14-Oct-19
Ermine 15-Oct-19
BGbasbhat 15-Oct-19
13-Oct-19
Scheels had a good sale on the jacket, I bought it knowing I could just return it if I needed to. My question is has anyone worn this jacket in colder temps? It has wind stopper, but I’m curious on how it performs in cold temperatures, any input would help, thanks

13-Oct-19
There is NO insulation in that jacket. Basically just a windbreaker on steroids. It alone will not keep you warm in cold temps. I used to use mine as a soft shell on late season mountain hunts while hiking. The jacket has little to no value as an insulation piece in cold weather. It will keep the wind off you...that’s it.

14-Oct-19
I use the mountain jacket (same as Timberline just no hood) because it is so thin it works well with layers since it blocks any breeze so you are able to use less bulky layers and still stay warm. I use it all year long but there are times during the warmer months that I don't want to block the breeze and I pack it away but I still want it for cool mornings, evenings or storms so it is always in my pack. I often use the Kelvin light jacket under the the Mountain jacket and it is good for some very cold temps and when I put the regular Kelvin jacket under it I have never been cold, you just need to size the Mountain jacket/Timberline to allow layers.

14-Oct-19
I hated it. Didnt do anything for me at all.

14-Oct-19
It's not that I hate it, but it has a very specific use and usually is the first to go/not make the cut out of my mountain packing pile. When space/weight isn't at a premium, I'll take it but that is it.

14-Oct-19
Take it back and get a jet stream. The jet stream is the Swiss Army knife of jackets, without the fork...

14-Oct-19
Thanks for the replies everyone. The jet stream is the late season coat I want, but having already spent my hunting budget, the wife said no way, but I talked her into the jacket because of how much it was on sale, so the jet stream will have to wait until next year. Scheels had the timberline on sale for $199, which is the same price as the traverse cold weather hoody, I picked the timberline because of the wind-stop, I have a winter coat but it’s bulky, so I was hoping I could layer under the timberline and be ok. My upcoming hunt will hit a low of around 20 degrees, which is cold, but not extreme cold. Thanks again for the replies

14-Oct-19
Thanks for the replies everyone. The jet stream is the late season coat I want, but having already spent my hunting budget, the wife said no way, but I talked her into the jacket because of how much it was on sale, so the jet stream will have to wait until next year. Scheels had the timberline on sale for $199, which is the same price as the traverse cold weather hoody, I picked the timberline because of the wind-stop, I have a winter coat but it’s bulky, so I was hoping I could layer under the timberline and be ok. My upcoming hunt will hit a low of around 20 degrees, which is cold, but not extreme cold. Thanks again for the replies

14-Oct-19
I got mine for half price. No way would I pay full price for that jacket

14-Oct-19
Scheels must blow that jacket out every year; I got the same one 3 years ago on one of their big sales. Kota gave me the same advice then, it's nothing more than a windbreaker. I know I've worn mine more for fishing than anything else.

14-Oct-19
I have one and I have never used it. As other jackets play more utility player roles if I want a noisy windbreaker I might as well take a hard shell raincoat with a hood for dual purpose

15-Oct-19
I have one and I take it in my pack if I don’t bring my rain jacket. It’s quiet and cuts the wind.

15-Oct-19
Hahaha, well played cnelk

• Sitka Gear