Adak Caribou 15-Oct-19
TREESTANDWOLF 20-Feb-20
Pop-r 21-Feb-20
kota-man 21-Feb-20
JL 21-Feb-20
gobbler 21-Feb-20
Fuzzy 21-Feb-20
13-Oct-19
I haven't to date used trip insurance for my hunts, however I have a Yukon Moose hunt booked for next September and Mt. Caribou the following.

I can definitely 'Google" it but the resources here are much, much better.

All tips and resources are greatly appreciated! Thx in advance!

13-Oct-19
Travel guard. Often used to cover deposits in long lead time hunts never needed it though

13-Oct-19
Are you looking to protect your deposits or are you looking for emergency medical extraction type insurance? Or both?

I’ll be interested in some responses, I have often thought I should protect my adventures but have not to this point.

—Jim

13-Oct-19
Most have restrictions on how soon after the trip is booked. And what they will cover. Sooner the better after paying the deposit.

Check to make sure they will send medical professionals to evacuate you.

Then send you to the hospital of your choice. Then get you back home or to the best hospital available.

Some just reimburse you after you pay up front.

There are many good ones. I use Ripcord

13-Oct-19
Have used Travel Guard for the last 11 yrs for hunts, vacations, and convention attendance.

Good reputable operation.

13-Oct-19
My own personal view is that I can take the “hit” of a cancelled hunting trip, but I don’t want to pay for a med e vac from the back country. I buy either Global Rescue or Ripcord for all of my back country adventures and skip the trip insurance. I usually just buy the annual policy...

13-Oct-19
Kota, that was basically my point, just might not have asked correctly.

I feel basically the same, I’ll take the hit on the trips, but I really don’t want to take the hit on the evac part. I though I would probably buy the annual policy as you stated.

—Jim

13-Oct-19
What is the approximate cost for the annual policy, or does it vary alot depending on the locations, number of hunts that you do per year, etc?

13-Oct-19

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
I have coverage through my employer but it covers me and my dependents should we require emergency flight or extraction. Nice to have up here in Alaska, you never know when you might need it.

13-Oct-19
T-Roy...They’re about $300-329 a year with no limit on number of trips. Go to each company website and it only takes a minute to get prices.

Does Ak include some “search and rescue” in your tag fees?

13-Oct-19
No. Residents don’t really have tag fees except for Muskox at $500 and Brown Bear $25. Residents have a $69 hunting and fishing license then $5 application fee for draws per code but the harvest tags are free.

14-Oct-19
Willie says in his post above: “ There are many options. All of them are expensive and have fine print that almost eliminates any chance the insurance company will ever have to payoff.“ Really? So Willie, you’ve read all those “expensive” policies and understood all that “fine print” and what you are saying is they don’t cover anything? Do I have that right Willie? Or are you just talking out your ass again?

Rich, I’ve actually spent the last 35 plus years reading and enforcing insurance policies, so if you find a policy that you are considering to insure your trip and you’d like some useful advice I’d be happy to read the fine print for you. I’d also highly recommend emergency evac insurance for any wilderness hunt, but be sure they’re extracting you from the point of the incident to your hospital of choice, as not all of those services provide the same transportation options.

14-Oct-19
If you already contract Inreach services for your communications on the trip, look into the GEOS Sar and Medevac plans they have available through the subscription. For about $150 total you can cover all of your medical and evac needs anywhere in the world with what appears to be a pretty comprehensive plan....thankfully haven't had to find out first hand. Good Luck!

14-Oct-19
Thank you very, very much guys.

Mrs. requested I turn to Bowsite for her concerns and again no disappointment.

Busta, I certainly will and again, thank you all.

14-Oct-19
I have used both Ripcord and Global Rescue. Been very happy with both for yearly plan and trip coverage. Had to cancel a NWT moose hunt last minute due to ruptured disc and they covered me. There was some paperwork but they were reasonable and very sharp professionals. I am a fan or both companies but you MUST read the small print. For instance , if you are in the Yukon and a Cat 5 hurricane is headed for your home in Florida you aren’t covered. If the storm prevents you from leaving Florida to GO to your hunt you are covered. Just one example. I will always buy trip coverage for big boy adventure hunts, I have annual policy to cover evac year round Good luck on your hunt!

15-Oct-19
I have used Global Rescue. I am not sure how it compares to Ripcord. Has anybody on here ever been evacuated by one of these services?

15-Oct-19
I have used allianz with no complaints. I generally get 25k medical coverage and 500k med evacuation. The med evacuation is my biggest concern if it would happen to arise.Plus it comes with all the typical cancelation coverages, lost/damaged bags, missed connections etc.

I had a flight cancelled in DC once coming home when a ATC fire shut down all DC air traffic for several hours. I kept receipts for everything, food, uber to the airport they got me flight home out of. Hotels were all full because of the shutdown so I had to sleep in the airport(sucked).

Got home and filed a claim online. Sent the screen shot of the txt saying my flight was cancelled, scanned the receipts and they paid me for the incurred costs.

15-Oct-19
The difference I usually see with Ripcord/Global Rescue vs. a travel insurance EVac program is that the latter only transports you to the nearest facility where Ripcord/Global will take you where you want to go. (like Busta eluded to )

15-Oct-19
That's true Kota.

Mine will take me to the nearest appropriate facility for treatment/stabilization, and then home. But I don't get to pick a specific hospital.

15-Oct-19
What would Fred Bear do?

15-Oct-19
Fred Bear would pay the $50-$100k for the evac and hospitalization out his pocket. Or under a payment plan.

15-Oct-19
We highly recommend our clients get trip insurance. I personally have had to use it; on a New Zealand trip. It is not expensive, I guess that's all relative, but it can really be useful. Home insurance, auto insurance, ATV or boat insurance, and trip insurance; all a safety net against bad happenings. Just this week I was reminded about how easy it can be to have something happen that makes you miss your hunt or trip. My wife and I were scheduled to fly out to our boat in Adak for a hunting trip but the road was shut down due to a fatality accident. Something so simple as a road closure made us miss the plane and our hunt. Had I been a client and paid for this hunt and missed out, proper trip insurance would have covered my financial loss. We don't travel without trip insurance for our larger trips.

20-Feb-20
Great advice all the way around.

looking into them all.

Thank you ver much

21-Feb-20
Insurance companies are the biggest crooks there are. Be careful.

21-Feb-20
I don’t think insurance companies are “crooks”. Know what you’re buying and you’d be amazed at how good they are! The biggest misconception is that every policy covers everything. Not the case...With insurance, knowledge about what your policy covers and doesn’t cover goes a long ways towards whether you are happy or not at claim time.

21-Feb-20
I think I got my trip insurance thru my auto insurance company....USAA.

21-Feb-20
For the first time ever I purchased trip insurance for my Alaska Brown bear hunt this spring. Getting older and having a few health problems makes u think more about it. My outfitter recommended it after one of his hunters got sick and had to go to hospital on 2nd day of hunt last spring. Insurance is always a gamble, most of the time u never need it but if u do you’re glad u have it . I wouldn’t get it for a 5,000 dollar hunt but when you’re talking 23,000 thousand it’s probably worth it for peace of mind

21-Feb-20
I just contacted my independent insurance agent. I use them for auto, home, and scheduled items so for trip insurance was a natural choice. They shop all the underwriters for best price and best fit for my needs.

• Sitka Gear