WapitiBob 13-Oct-19
patience2spare 14-Oct-19
Jason Stafford 14-Oct-19
YZF-88 14-Oct-19
Jims 14-Oct-19
13-Oct-19

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Didn’t want to derail the landlocked thread. Thinking about cashing in my 8 Wyoming antelope points next year. I have never hunted them. Starting research now. Also, I have never dealt with checkerboard land before. To hunt parcels like this, do you just have to hope a road goes through the area of interest?

13-Oct-19
"To hunt parcels like this, do you just have to hope a road goes through the area of interest?"

Pretty much. That's classic checkerboard right there. Some say you can jump, others say you can't in WY. Me, I'm not going to jump even though I could get to the corner within plus or minus 6 inches.

13-Oct-19

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
The problem you will have in the area you show is that few roads will have easements across the private.

Regarding corner crossing, I always suggest calling the chief game warden, tell him where you're hunting and you're going to corner cross, then ask if he's going to write you a ticket. In 2018 I called the previous Chief, who is now the Director, then I asked the local warden while we looked at the map draped over the hood of his truck.

You will not be cited for trespass via corner crossing by any veteran warden in Wyoming. A fresh recruit may write but it'll be in the trash before the end of the day. Corner crossing with no intent to hunt private does not violate Title 23 statutes per opinion from former AG Pat Crank.

A deputy may cite but no County DA will prosecute. I know locals trying to get cited by a deputy and prosecuted so it can go to court and they have been unable to get it done. In the end, base your decisions on your research. I don't see much happening to change the status quo in my lifetime.

14-Oct-19
With 8 points, there are lots of GREAT units that you will have 100% draw odds for and never have to worry about the checker board public/private land! We drew a mid to upper unit with 5points in 2018 and had an amazing hunt. 8points will get you miles on miles of public land and big goats to hunt. Have fun! Pete

14-Oct-19
Pete is right on the money. With 8 points you have a lot of options on the table. Many of those options will offer quality bucks with lots of public land.

14-Oct-19
Thanks for the feedback! Looking forward to trying something different.

14-Oct-19
Unfortunately if there isn't a public road through checkard-board the only access is hiking. That in itself limits a hunter dramatically. Do you plan on spot and stalk or hunting from a waterhole? Depending upon the terrain it may be next to impossible to spot and stalk if limited to 1 square mile sections at a time. When trophy hunting antelope I generally try to scope out hundreds of bucks in literally miles and miles of country before I find keeper. If waterhole hunting, it may be a challenge locating a water source and packing in and out for any distance without spooking antelope in small sections? 1 square mile areas may seem giant but for antelope hunting it could be slim pickings. It may take an incredible amount of time and boot leather hiking from 1 section to the next to find decent locations?

There are a lot of possibilities where you don't need to worry about corner hopping with your 8 pts! If you are interested in discussing units and options send me a pm.

• Sitka Gear