EmbryOklahoma 16-Oct-19
Nick Muche 16-Oct-19
Treeline 17-Oct-19
Smtn10PT 17-Oct-19
Ambush 18-Oct-19
Bou'bound 18-Oct-19
15-Oct-19

Cazador's embedded Photo
This was BT from second goat. Was like that the whole way.
Cazador's embedded Photo
This was BT from second goat. Was like that the whole way.
I don't want to derail the other thread, but lets hear your goat to arrow ratio stories.

I've shot two Billies (small sample) and neither made it 50 yards. On both goats the blood trails were profuse the whole way. Both shots were very close, sub 20 yds.

Friend of mine shot a big Nannie, it died in seconds as well. He did hit another one low, that did survive but that was bad placement. Are they tougher than say a WT or Elk? Or just tougher on marginal shots?

15-Oct-19
Second one, BT like that the whole way.

15-Oct-19
I have killed 2 (one arrow each) and both were close 10-15 yards both died within 60 yards I would guess. First one died in sight and second one just out of sight behind a rock. Did not look at either one to see what I hit but assume they were both double lung shots.

Also did lose one with a high hit in the spur that comes up from the top of the spine. Chased him for a day and a half before losing him.

15-Oct-19
I’ve only shot one goat. Shot was close 25-30 yards. 1st shot was a little back. Goat ran about 10 yards and stopped.

I snuck around and shot it again. Slight quartering to me. Arrow went in from quarter and blew thru goat (vitals). The goat went a couple more yards just standing there. So I shot it again. This time quartering away (thru the vitals again.). After that I gave the goat a few minutes and it expired. Probably didn’t need 3 shots, but Goat was near some insane cliffs and I was worried about it getting into them.

I’ve been apart of some rifles kills on goats and most have taken multiple shots to anchor them.

Buddy killed a goat this year. 25 yard shot quartering to him. He said it went down and barley made it a few yards.

15-Oct-19
I think they are tougher on marginal shots, like most animals.

15-Oct-19
I've taken two goats. On was shot at 23yds the other 8. They didn't go far. IMO there a tough animal. If you make marginal shot they'll climb to a nasty spot to making it hard get a follow-up.

15-Oct-19
My experience with the one goat I bow killed is the same as many reported on the other thread. Toughest, least willing to die of any animal I've shot. First shot right behind the front leg as planned. Second shot severe downhill angle broke it's back and it still used it's front legs to squirm away enough to roll 2,000 feet down the mountain.

I've read where mtn goats have the ability to heal puncture wounds to the lungs. Makes sense, since they fight with those dagger like horns.

15-Oct-19
40 yards, hit him high and back after my string got tangled in my rain gear hood. Shot him at 330 yards with the guides rifle as he crested the mountain. Crappy first shot...

15-Oct-19

huntinelk's Link
Here's my story...several arrows involved...

15-Oct-19
Arrowed two, both bedded and from steep-above angles, but both at close range, less than 25 yards. Heart-shot the first one, which died before he could fully stand up, and then rolled down the mountain. Lung-shot the second one, which then trotted off 200 yards, bedded for a while, tried to get up, staggered and rolled down the mountain. Would've shot him again if I'd gotten there in time. Nice thing about Mt Goats and where they live, they're a lot easier to keep track of after the shot than deer & elk.

16-Oct-19

BULELK1's Link
Link to my Utah hunt.....

I have my G-7 Colo Billy on the TR wall it was featured in an article in The Bighorn RMBS mag-------->

Good luck, Robb

16-Oct-19
Shot one. 16 yards. He was basically trying to decide what we were as I let the arrow fly. 95% sure I double lunged him, but he hightailed it out of there. We tracked him to a cliffy spot about 150 yards from where I shot him, which I'm guessing took him about 20-30 seconds to get to. At that point, based on the bloodtrail and the big smear of blood on the rocks, he seemed to fall off the mountain never to be seen again. Even when you make a good shot, they can find some tough country that makes recovery difficult or impossible.

16-Oct-19
Have shot one goat and hope for a repeat this week or next :-)

My first goat was a 15 yard shot. She ran about 30 yards, locked up and tipped over.

My equipment back then was a 65# longbow with a cedar arrow and tipped with a 125 grain 2-blade broadhead. Arrow mass was right around 525 grains.

Kind of torn about my bow of choice this go. Will be taking a very special self bow and my home made longbow. Broadheads will be 2-blade - Cutthroats, old Bear’s, or Zwicky’s...

Leaving tomorrow for round 2!

16-Oct-19
Good Luck Travis and be careful.

16-Oct-19
Thanks, Ron! Will do!

16-Oct-19

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
This guy took 3 arrows and I still had to finish it with my Havalon. First was a frontal that went the length of one lung on one side. Second was broadside from below and got one lung. 3rd was broadside from below and got both lungs.

When all was said and done, one lung was pierced once and the other 3 times.

4 hours later, he was still alive and out of arrows, I finished it with a stab to the throat, visible on his left in the picture. He still managed to stand again and fall 20 feet, stand again, stagger a few feet, then finally died.

I’ve never seen anything like it.

16-Oct-19
Wowzer! That’s crazy Ike!

16-Oct-19
Here's one that must not have been marginal. Fast forward to the 18:30 time frame if you don't want to watch it all. Pretty cool hunt too! Down in seconds.

16-Oct-19
That would be some incredible terrain to hunt goats in!

17-Oct-19
Great video!

Loading up this morning and heading out today! Finally!!!

17-Oct-19
Good luck Tavis! Im sure you'll have a great story to tell!

18-Oct-19
The guy in the video above lives and hunts in the same place Bowjangles just came back from. He's also a heck of a hunter and seems to be in just the right place at just the right time. A lot!!

Just back from the second goat hunt this year. So far, just a lot of scenery pics. Might get out again in A few weeks. Let them suffer a bit of winter to soften them up :)

18-Oct-19
Idyl - none of us has ever seen anything like it Either. There is less blood spilled on a B grade slasher movie.

But in the end you got it done.

• Sitka Gear