wyobullshooter 16-Oct-19
ElkNut1 16-Oct-19
COHOYTHUNTER 16-Oct-19
ElkNut1 16-Oct-19
wyobullshooter 16-Oct-19
stringgunner 16-Oct-19
ElkNut1 16-Oct-19
15-Oct-19
Done with my hard, noisy, whifle ball bat style grunt tube. Pretty sure I have spooked elk several times the last few years when I accidentally brushed something against the side of the bugle. If I can here the "clunk" it's not a good sign. Any recommendations? I saw Big Dan using one like the old vacuum cleaner hose, looked like a softer, more flexible option. Thought I might start with it if anyone knows the brand?

15-Oct-19
They all make noise when they bump things ;)

15-Oct-19
I make my own. I like a big chamber but also like it flexible so I use a giant shampoo bottle mated to a piece of vacuum tube and and wrapped with stretchy camo wrap

15-Oct-19
There are a bunch of different ones and all work. Its what goes into it that matters. If it doesnt already have a soft sleeve, sew one out of camo material to keep it quiet.

15-Oct-19
The long brown corrugated tube from Carlson will be quiet.

15-Oct-19
In my experience elk don’t care about noise. If you’re spoiling them because your bugle tube rubs on the brush you might be riding them!

15-Oct-19
ˆˆˆˆNow that's funny!!!

16-Oct-19
My buddy used an E.L.K. Power Bugle that is what you are describing. Sounded awesome and was a couple feet long and looked like a fancy upper radiator hose.

16-Oct-19
My elknut tube, a bat with cloth on it is noisy. My buddies and brothers Rocky Mountain hunting calls tubes that began their life as a bugle not a bat are not near as noisy... Thicker plastic that doesn’t seam to make the noise of a $40 bat. ;)

16-Oct-19
Tim, you most likely haven't spooked any elk with your bugle tube touching limbs or brush. If this were to happen you'd be right on top of elk & most likely would have been seen or winded by then if you didn't kill them first. I seriously wouldn't give it a second thought. Stay with the bugle you have confidence in, the rest will take care of itself!

ElkNut/Paul

16-Oct-19
I disagree Paul. Had a guy turn when a bull was coming in, and a tree branch hit the tube, causing the bull to turn inside out getting outa there. Elk don't care about noise? Make a noise that is unnatural and see what happends. Clank an arrow off a bow riser, scuff a boot on a tree root when you're within range of a bull or cow and see what happens. It's the unnatural noises that they worry about. Abe Meline used to wear football cleats, said it sounded like hooves when he stepped on things.

16-Oct-19
Like Lou, my tube has a soft camo sleeve. I zip-tied the sleeve at both ends, so it wouldn't slip around on the tube. It makes very little noise.

Matt

16-Oct-19

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
I use sump pump tubing, works great

16-Oct-19
Anthony, I hear ya. Yes elk can become aware of something by an odd noise but generally not a big deal. I guess what I'm saying is worrying about my bugle being noisy would be the least of my concerns! (grin)

Now a creaky or squeaky bow while drawing on a 20 yard bull is another story, it happened to my Son this year & it froze the bull leaving him with no clear shot! Go figure! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

16-Oct-19
Thanks for the help. I'm going to try a few new tubes as were mentioned. Paul, you are right I think its rare my bugle has spooked elk, but it's been bugging me damn it! lol. Besides I lost (accidentally left) mine it the woods this season, so gotta get a new one anyway.

16-Oct-19
Ive heard a lot of excuses when it comes to elk hunting, but a creaky bow?

16-Oct-19

wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
This little dude's in it's 4th decade of calling in bulls. It's never spooked one, but it's sure helped fool a bunch! ;-)

16-Oct-19
Tim, now I see, ha ha, you lost your bugle & now looking for a replacement! -- Last year my Son & I went to the Phelps Unleashed Bugle & the Renegade bugle, both from Phelps!

They were nice & have great sound, I'd recommend them for sure if you were looking for something like he offers!

I've called in 100's of bulls in years past with the bugles Carcus & Wyobull shows as well. Choose wisely! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

16-Oct-19
I've spooked elk with squeaky boots.... now I wear moccasins... (smirk)

16-Oct-19
My Son & I were hunting a known drainage, it's a very heavily timbered area, you hunt it by sound mostly as you cannot see more than 50 yards in most places there. We were in aprox 1-1/2 miles & we hear two bulls bugling every 30 seconds a bit over a 1/4 mile away. We covered the ground with them bugling enough to give us a direction.

As we get closer they tone it down a bit, pretty normal for around noon. We knew they were in their bedding areas so they shouldn't be going anywhere. We figured we had a good idea where the closest one was but were wrong, we ended up bumping into him & I see him move off through the timber a 100 yards out. I quickly give a single grunt/bark & bugle a low challenge as if another bull shows on the scene & pushing him out of there & taking his place.

We make a quick plan, my Son moves up 30 yards to a small rise & I stay below & go into action. After 4-5 minutes of coaxing/raking & trading bugles I can tell the bull has edged closer from 125 yards to 75 yards. My Son now leaves his position & moves to his left & forward, I'm assuming to get a better spot from where he feels the bull would show, it works perfect! The bull is coming towards me & right by my Son, as soon as the bull enters this small group of 4'-5' pine trees with his head in them he draws, the bow gives the slightest squeak & the bull stops raising his head in his direction & stares but does not move. After a one minute stare-down the bull decides he doesn't like what he sees & goes back the way he came, Game Over!

Yep, it was a first but that squeak cost him a 6 point that day! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

16-Oct-19
Unfortunately, it happened to me as well. Many years ago, back when bows had cable guards, I had to follow a vehicle until I reached my turn-off. I was on my 4-wheeler. It was dusty as heck, but I didn’t think much about it...until. Called a decent 5 point satellite away from the herd, and when he was a couple steps from clearing the timber at less than 25yds, I came to full draw. SQUEAK!!! Just like the bull in Elknut’s story, he froze and we had a staring match for what seemed like hours. Never got a shot. I wiped the cable guard off. No more squeak. That clear cut is known to this day as “The Squeak”. :-(

As Buglmin mentioned, any unnatural sound is a problem.

16-Oct-19
The same squeak ruined a shot for Swede a couple years ago from his tree stand. As I remember the story, an elk was standing under him, less than 20 yards, when he pulled back, the bow squeaked from the cable guard. Elk ran off immediately.

I had a similar situation last year with the clothing I was wearing, cold morning, had a down vest on that was loud when my arms brushed against it. Stood to get ready to draw back on a bull, and made the loud rustling noise. Bull heard it and got real nervous.

16-Oct-19
Tim, bottom line, don't buy a Squeaky Bugle! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear