midwest 17-Oct-19
wyobullshooter 17-Oct-19
elkstabber 17-Oct-19
Cazador 17-Oct-19
YZF-88 17-Oct-19
jax2009r 18-Oct-19
Saphead 18-Oct-19
16-Oct-19
So here is my deal. I am needing to use my NR points next year for WY. I am sitting at one under max. If I split with just my wife we had 9 for our average next year. If I go all in with my daughter we will have 6.5 for our average.

Also I will not be resident for the draw, but will be a resident by the hunt. Thus I can hunt the wilderness areas. However I am not set up for wilderness hunts very well and prefer to hunt with my family as more of a weekend warrior.

Also not interested in general simply because I will be able to hunt it every year. Want to avoid Type 9 tags as I will not have much time off next fall, so need a type 1 tag with archery option (even 1/2 of September).

I kind of prefer open sage and pinon juniper, but not opposed to a forest hunt with decent access... So here are my list I compiled:

Units I will draw solo with hunt type and notes: Unit 1 - Small Unit a long ways away from my home lots of public lands. Unit 24 - Larger Unit good size and good access. Really close to home (in fact could hunt after work in evening for 3 hours before dark)

Unit 38 Type 9 - Long ways from home. Could Hunt weekends and likely only get a couple 4 day weekends in... No later season tag option

Unit 53 type 9 - Good Distance from home, Bears, Can hunt Wilderness, but seems like a unit that would need horses

UNit 54 Type 9 - Same as 53

UNit 61 type 1 - Closer to home, good access wilderness option and longer season Unit 63 type 1 - THis is closer to home and seems to be a good unit. The season dates for rifle are during my fall break thus I would have 17 days straight to hunt. Wilderness area might need horses?

Unit 118 - Wide open desert. Have access to 2 ranches if needed (possibly 3) and can pay tress pass on 4th. Not impressed with bull quality but there would be almost no other hunters at all and some elk to hunt. Unit 120 - Nothing known about this unit other than it is all checker board...

Any others to consider?

So with my wife we can combine and have 9 point average Unit 7 Type 1- Tricky access and away from home no real extra time off work Unit 11 Type 1 - Smaller unit not too far from home. Would have 2 weeks off to hunt rifle season UNit 19 - Right out of Casper, tricky access not to far from home but really chunked up, 2 weeks off to hunt

UNit 23 - Still pretty chunked up, not too far from home, 2 weeks off in October, also has late cow season

Unit 40 type 9 - Not sure we can give a full hunt as we should

Unit 45 type 1 - Archery season but no extra time off hunt from Oct 15- Nov 4th

UNit 51 type 1 - No archery option but would have 2 weeks off in October early. Rifle hunt in the rut?

Unit 78 type 1 - Not sure I want to be around Jackson area???

So if we applied my daughter wife and i together we would have 6.5 Unit 11 (30% odds)

Unit 25/27 - Really close to home hunt after school and work. Has everything from wilderness to desert. 2 whole months with archery and any elk

Unit 33 type 1

Unit 34 tpye 1

UNit 35 tpye 1

UNit 40 Type 1

Unit 48 Type 1

Unit 93 Type 1

I could do my daughter solo in unit 98 type 1 and have a nice long season close to home

The list is huge and overwhelming. Anyone have any ideas on the top 2-3 options? What would you scratch off the list immediately? I am going to be a resident so not interested in spliting points for a general tag, but if you have points that will not adjust us down and we can pick you up we can talk.

16-Oct-19
Since you have to use them or lose them, I'd rank any of the hunts that you'll have a higher likelihood of drawing AGAIN once you're a resident higher. Positioning yourself to have boots on the ground experience in future hunts is always a good investment.

16-Oct-19
I know where I’d go but you need to decide what’s happening with the wife and daughter first.

16-Oct-19
Im confused. You said you want to avoid Type 9 tags but then listed four Type 9 hunt options?

16-Oct-19
Used to be some type 9units , one could draw the oct rifle tag and still be able to hunt the last two weeks of archery. Crazy but was that way at one time for units. And rifle tag can be easier to draw in some cases. Go figure. Need check current regs for specifics that are applicable.

16-Oct-19
Doubt you would be guaranteed a unit 38 type 9 tag with 9 points. If I’m wrong I’ll have that tag with you

16-Oct-19
A lot of those units you listed you have almost zero chance of drawing in the PP draw as reg or even special... You may get lucky and pull a random tag but if I were in your position (will be a WY resident in future seasons) you want to make sure u burn the points this year as they don’t do u any good next year so I’d focus on units that you can make sure u can draw with a 6.5 average. If I were you I would cross reference all the units you are willing to hunt with the difficulty of a resident to draw and then give serious consideration to the unit that you know u should be able to draw and is the hardest for residents to draw.... it sounds like u have a fair amount of time to hunt so another consideration would be to do two separate hunts... you use the majority of you points on a tougher to draw unit and then take the people with lower points general for a week...

16-Oct-19
Are you living in Wyoming now? They require 12 months .

17-Oct-19
PM sent

Good luck, Robb

17-Oct-19
Yes I am in WY now. The way it will work, I will not be a resident for the draw, but will be a resident by the hunt. Thus I can hunt Wilderness. As for other responses...

I know type 9 is the archery tag, I am opening to archery, but am hoping to find a hunt that would allow us to hunt the last week of archery then got rifle Oct 1-15. Ultimately I have the first 2 weeks of October off but almost no extra time off for September. Thus my want to avoid type 9, but if the type 9 is the best option let me know.

As for my chances to draw. Some are a bit of a scratch. however the majority of the list is pretty solid.

My wife and daughter could also point split and have 3.5... But not sure that get them a whole lot.

I am leaning towards 63 type 1 for me and just letting wife and daughter hunter general or a 64 type 4???

Also leaning to wards 25/27 type 1 for all 3.

I am also short listing 45 type one shared wife and I and using my daughters points to get a cow tag?

The list is huge but with some help I am narrowing it down...

17-Oct-19
I know one I wouldn't do with long weekends only, 38/9

17-Oct-19
Rob, some of the units you listed jumped a lot in points in 2019 so you would likely need all of your points to draw. Personally I would use your points on a quality unit and then I would have my wife draw a decent tag with her points (some okay options with 7 points). Then maybe get a reduced price cow tag for your daughter?

17-Oct-19
Any reason you don't like 62?

17-Oct-19
Don’t know much about WY but the comments above about making sure you draw cannot be overlooked.

A friend of mine was in your place last year, ton of points, point creep got him and didn’t draw. Don’t be that guy.

17-Oct-19
Unit 62 took 12.5 points last year in the regular draw. 37% with 12 points in the Special draw.

17-Oct-19
You have to prioritize. Based on your last thread on CO 2, I would guess your best course of action is to split with your wife and hunt together. It seems you like to hunt with her and you do better with her there. Focus on those options. (plus killing 3 bulls on a hunt is a lot in any unit)

I would not worry about your daughter. She has her whole life ahead of her and will be a WY resident etc. I would get her a cow tag that didn't interfere with anything else.

17-Oct-19
I dunno coelker... You're going to apply as a NR, But will be a Res at the time of hunting. Will Wyoming change your NR license to a Res? If not, I know I wouldnt want to be in a Wilderness Area with a NR license, claiming to be a Resident.

But you have a few months to figure out those details. The WGF would be the first place Id ask those questions

17-Oct-19
Wild, that is where I am heading. Thinking i can get her a cow tag that overlapped our bulls tags that way we can hunt together, etc. I am also leaning towards a hunt split with my wife since we like hunting together. I really wished I never missed a point the 1st year.

Sigh it is not an easy decision. Once we become residents I know exactly what we will be doing. Just hate to waste all the points. Good news we already know what we are doing with antelope points. And we do not have deer points because we like the general deer.

17-Oct-19
I won't recommend any specific areas...you need to decide how you want to combine points and go from there. However, I do have a few general comments:

1.) Since this is the last year your PP's will be of any value, as others have mentioned, I'd only apply for an area that I knew my odds of drawing were 100%.

2.) As cnelk points out, if you decide to go into a wilderness area, you'll be a resident with a NR license. Once you become a resident (for hunting purposes), I'd go to the closest G&F office with the documentation proving you are indeed a legal resident. I'd get a dated and signed statement from them saying as much. Could save you time and headaches later.

3.) Check season dates before you decide. You say you only have the first 2 weeks of October off, but a few of the areas you listed don't open till the 9th, and many don't open till the 15th.

4.) Now for the really important one...since you're going to be a resident, ya gotta learn the lingo. Wyoming doesn't have units, we have areas! ;-)

17-Oct-19
"Wyoming doesn't have units, we have areas!"

I learned something new today!

17-Oct-19
There’s still hope for you, Nick! Ha!

MANY years ago when I moved back to Wyoming, I went into the G&F office and referred to them as Wyoming Fish & Game. The clerk gruffly told me it was Wyoming Game & Fish, thank you very much!!!

I learned something new that day as well! lol!

17-Oct-19
Me too. Every other state has units. WY has areas.

17-Oct-19
WY has huge Guide Subsistence AREAS

17-Oct-19
I'll correct all of you. It's actually Wyoming Game & Fish & Outfitters & Guides Association. Check the regulations and policies for proof!

18-Oct-19
take the best area you can draw 100 percent with the points you have....Put the wife and daughter on cow tags...

get them a bull as a resident.

18-Oct-19

• Sitka Gear