Boatman71 18-Oct-19
PGA Pro 18-Oct-19
brantman 18-Oct-19
bobbinhood 18-Oct-19
Splitbrow 19-Oct-19
JL 19-Oct-19
ahunter76 19-Oct-19
17-Oct-19
A couple friends and I are potentially planning a trip to western NE next fall to try our luck on antelope. Neither of the three of us have ever hunted them. We are looking into the Chadron/Crawford area to do some archery spot and stalk or blind hunting. We plan on doing quite a bit of homework and research obviously prior to making the trip, but since this is a friendly bunch on here, I thought I would ask if anyone could tell us what to expect? Any advice to some greenhorns. Note: We are not in anyway greenhorn hunters, just green when it comes to antelope!

Is there a healthy population of pronghorn in the area of Crawford?

Not looking for secret spots, just looking to wrap my mind around what to expect.

Thank you!

17-Oct-19
Have not spent a ton of time in the area, but enough that I would not think of it as a top place to do a out state antelope hunt. Why are you looking there instead of WY, SD or other places?

17-Oct-19
Go a few miles farther and hunt Wyoming.

17-Oct-19
I would think if you are set on hunting them in NE it might be a little better around Samuel R. McKelvie National Forest or Valentine. I have done some fishing in the area. I know I see them up there but not in the number you can find in WY.

17-Oct-19
"Have not spent a ton of time in the area, but enough that I would not think of it as a top place to do a out state antelope hunt. Why are you looking there instead of WY, SD or other places?"

To be honest we just kind of settled on that area. One of the guys went out to that area years ago after a mule deer and said he saw a lot of antelope as well. Maybe WY would be a better choice? The other thing was the over the counter tags in NE, I have not looked to see if any other state (WY) offers OTC Archery tags.

This is exactly why I asked you all! Thanks and keep them coming please.

17-Oct-19
Keep driving and go to Wyoming.

17-Oct-19
I have hunted the Chadron area for whitetail a few years back. I was hunting on private property. That area was increasing in mule deer due to wildfire relocating the milieu. . I did see antelope but they were sparse.

I too would recommend driving to Wyoming to do antelope hunting.

17-Oct-19
You have until October 31 to buy bonus points in Wyoming (I believe). I strongly suggest each of the party buy one now and you guys should be able to pull decent tags in Wyoming. And decent tags in WY is way better than OTC tags in NE!

—Jim

17-Oct-19
Don’t know how accurate this is but I recall reading somewhere that you can draw a circle within a 150 mike radius of Gillette Wyoming. Half of the Pronghorn Antelope in the world live inside that circle and the rest live outside it. Even if that’s not 100% accurate, you get the point, Wyoming’s got the numbers, hands down.

18-Oct-19
Thanks a bunch guys!! I will speak with the other two and tell them what I have been hearing. You guys are a huge help.

18-Oct-19
Definitely buy a preference point for Wyoming before the 31st

18-Oct-19
(+) for Nebraska: Unlimited archery tags, low hunting pressure

(-) for Nebraska: You'll need local intel and private land access.

18-Oct-19
You sure about low pressure in NE? I been told you have a lot of NE residents that head to Western NE to bowhunt goats. Since they can get a in state OTC antelope tag and pressure can be high on the limited amount of area they can be hunted on.

If you do in up in NE take a fishing rod. If you tag out early there is some great fishing in the sandhills.

18-Oct-19
"If you do in up in NE take a fishing rod. If you tag out early there is some great fishing in the sandhills."

Absolutely had planned on it. We discussed that the other night when this possible venture was generated. The guy that is going with us that has been out there said he wished he would have taken the fishing poles on his first trip.

18-Oct-19
Hunted that area the first week of September this year for three days. A lot of guys hunting.

18-Oct-19
was in Samuel mckelvie two years ago for mulys no antelope did see them in valentine go to Wyoming buy your pref point by the end of October its 31.00

18-Oct-19
You'd had best go to Wyoming, S. Dakota or someplace else! I''ve hunted the NW area(Sioux co, Dawe's co) since 1980 and each year the numbers seem to go down due to the fire arms season!

19-Oct-19
Hunted that area for last seven years... increase hunting pressure for sure, however, you can still get plenty of stalks in and get quality opportunity at average bucks.

19-Oct-19
I just got back from a SE Montana antelope hunt (rifle) yesterday. There are alot of public land goats to be had there and quite a few water holes on these lands. I believe the 900 series tags (bow) are pretty easy to get there. OnX will be your friend to locate the public land that has the waterholes if that will part of your approach. Seen a ton of public land muleys there too.

19-Oct-19
preference point for Wy.. S.D. made some changes & "I think" residents get a month b/4 a non-res can hunt. I've been to Wy 4 times & area can make a difference along with rain. My waterhole hunting this year was a bust (water everywhere) My son & 2 buddies did get nice Bucks spot & stalk BUT they definitley earned them. Scored on 3rd 4th & 5th days. A ton of stalks. Son shot his at 39 yds buddy at 50 & other at almost 60.. Not easy & they were just starting to rut. 50 yarder was decoyed. I would take N.W. corner of S.D. over Neb.. Good luck.

• Sitka Gear