Spiral Horn 19-Oct-19
Scar Finga 19-Oct-19
Spiral Horn 19-Oct-19
Spiral Horn 19-Oct-19
Trophyhill 20-Oct-19
Matt 20-Oct-19
17-Oct-19

SwiftShot's Link
Well, I live in Washington and for many years have hunted elk on public lands here using my Leupold Kenai 2 25-60x80 HD. We hike in a few miles every day and glass and stalk. Well next year I am doing Wyoming hopefully and that will be many miles in pack hunt so trying to cut down on the weight. That thing weighs over 3.5 pounds. Great scope and works well for short excursions but thinking I might get a smaller scope. Currently, my Binocs are VIPER® HD 12X50 and I love them but I think I need a scope as well on this hunt. I am thinking 60 power might be too much and I can save on the weight and go lighter. My thought was the Vortex Razor HD Spotting Scope 11-33X50 which weighs 1.5 pounds. I would like to save wieght but is it really saving weight if I spend 4 hours getting closer to something that is not a shooter. My real question is what would you guys use for a hike in hunt. I like my big glass for the truck and on short walks but this could be many many miles. Also recommendations on magnification power as well as which scopes you like. Trying not to go over a grand for the scope. Second recommendations on Bipods for the binocs and scopes as well.

17-Oct-19
You could go with the Vortex Diamondback 20x60x 80 and I think it’s 2.2 lbs although not an HD model. I use vanguard tripod that you can set up your binos or scope to.

17-Oct-19
Vortex Diamondback is 3 pounds and its not as good of glass as the one I have.

17-Oct-19
Vortex Diamondback is 3 pounds and its not as good of glass as the one I have.

17-Oct-19
I have the viper Hd binos and viper he spotting scope but thought the diamondback was lighter for some reason

18-Oct-19
You didn't mention budget, but the Kowa TSN-553/554 is probably the best 55mm scope on the market now.

18-Oct-19
I would not carry 12x50 binos and a spotting scope. Might consider those binos on a tripod. 12 powers are to much for me to hold steady free handed. But on tripod you should be able to get a good view from a long ways.

18-Oct-19
I have a Nikon ED 50 13X33 angled and I was able to find a 15X45 eyepiece for it. Combine that with a Vortex SS tripod and I have a lightweight, compact unit that goes everywhere I backpack. The Vortex is much the same size and weight, but I know nothing about the quality.

A X65 scope definitely has better definition, but you have to decide if the bulk and weight penalty is a good trade off. Bigger scope "requires" a bigger tripod as well.

I sold my bigger scope for lack of use. I still have a giant, bulky but super lightweight Alpen scope in a X80 that is great for the truck.

18-Oct-19
If I wanted to go light and fast, I'd mount HQ 10x bino's like Swaros and be done. If you KNOW your hunting where the views are long and have to have a scope then a light weight vortex might be in budget. IMO great 10x glass stabilized on a tripod is worth more than an entry level scope.

18-Oct-19
I run 12x50 binos. Sometimes I just take binos. But for huts above timberline I take a spotter. 65 mm spotter for evaluating animals.

18-Oct-19
I would agree with the binos….IMO archery elk isn`t really a "spotting scope" type of deal. Maybe rifle hunting.....but you can tell a shooter with binos.

19-Oct-19
I have the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 spotting scope. It is super nice to pack but I just never seem to use it. Since I got 15x56 Swarovskis I have not used it at all. I’m willing to sell it.

19-Oct-19
A side-by-side review o& the Kowa 553 against the Vortex HD will reveal a significant difference in optical quality.

19-Oct-19
I also have the 15X56 Swaros and prefer them over a spotter any day. Most of my buddies have either Kowa's or Swaro spotters and they are great, just not for me... Besides, I can always borrow theirs:) If I was going to buy one, I would buy the Kowa's.

19-Oct-19
A side-by-side review o& the Kowa 553 against the Vortex HD will reveal a significant difference in optical quality.

19-Oct-19
For an ultra-compact spotter with great optics the Kowa 553 is kind of in a class by itself: 15-45x 55mm - that’s a powerful glass in a tiny package with world class lens, prisms & eyepiece, and at only 29 oz its a great compromise as the ultimate “Carry everywhere” spotter. Here is a review on Rokslide: https://www.rokslide.com/kowa-tsn-553-prominar-review/

20-Oct-19
I'm switching to 15x56 binos with tripod mount for this year's muley hunt. Can't wait to start scouting for my January hunt

20-Oct-19
For those who are not familiar, in very few circumstances are 15's a spotter substitute.

• Sitka Gear