Tony 24-Oct-19
Quinn @work 24-Oct-19
wildwilderness 24-Oct-19
Tony 24-Oct-19
Backwater chaters 24-Oct-19
19-Oct-19

Tony 's embedded Photo
Tony 's embedded Photo
Do you guys find it common for mulies to duck when u release an arrow. I've arrowed a few that haven't, but for the last 2 years I've sent an arrow just over this guy from 30 and 38yds. Not sure if it's just him, or if I should always be aiming a bit low and have just been lucky my other bucks haven't dropped.

19-Oct-19
I don’t think it’s too common with Mulies but it can happen. They will do it. Quiet arrows. Heavier arrows. And quiet bow setup might make the difference

19-Oct-19
I have had a few do it, and I spined on of them at 15 yards. So yes they do it, just not as common as WT deer.

19-Oct-19
I've never had one personally do it. I'm sure they do. Agree with Justin have a quiet set-up and I don't think you'll have them jumping the string.

I've shot some at less than 15yds.

19-Oct-19
Most of them take it like a man, especially compared to their whitetail cousins.

19-Oct-19
I’ve had several duck an arrow over the years.

19-Oct-19
I think that buck is too big to "jump the string"...lol

19-Oct-19
Brotsky: So true:)

20-Oct-19
I have had it happen a few times. Even one times stinks because of the effort to get the shot. Heavy arrow I think helps

20-Oct-19
Never had to allow for mule deer but some guys shooting 90 yards or more deduct 1 yard to allow for string jump.

20-Oct-19
Haven't seen a muley duck the string. I have watched them stand and take the arrow though.

21-Oct-19
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like this guy is just super edgy, but i probably should be going for heart shots as a precaution for those that do drop.

21-Oct-19
I think that the closer the shot, the less likely/time for them to move.

Good luck, Robb

21-Oct-19
I haven't shot enough mule deer to know. But, Brian Barney (Eastman's podcast) says that 25% of high country bucks will duck/jump the string. That seems like more than I would have guessed.

21-Oct-19
I have only had one, but my friend had one the same season, in the same spot. Both were mature bucks and the area has a lot of mountain lions. Both shots were at close range, which I think could be part of the problem. I think they have a range where they are less cautions and therefore less likely to jump the string.

21-Oct-19
I have not had one jump the string. My farthest mule deer shot was 35 yards.

21-Oct-19
At one point the Wensel brothers calculated a distance that was when a whitetail was most likely to duck the arrow, Seems to me it was 17 yards. Is there a chance Mule deer have a similar 30 -35 yard range where they are most likely to duck an arrow?

oz

21-Oct-19
Very few mule deer react to an arrow release, but some will.

23-Oct-19

eBike John's Link
A recent article in American Hunter discussed the 'ducking' for cover when deer hear a noise they are not familiar with. It's a good read. here's a link:

23-Oct-19
Coming from a very small sample size, about a dozen. I have yet to see a mule deer react to my bowshoot or arrow..

23-Oct-19
Yes they can and do duck an arrow. I've seen it several times. They aren't wired as tight as whitetails, but a nervous and alert muley can certainly react to the sound or sight of a bow shot.

Matt

23-Oct-19
GG, while I haven't seen this, I have seen the exact opposite on non "alert" (depending on your definition of alert) deer. I've killed some very "curious" deer that were looking right at me when I thought for sure I had no chance. I mean I've pulled out my range finder, put it back, nocked an arrow, turned and drawn back all while these deer are looking right at me. I think reading the deers demeanor is huge. Oft times I think we have more time than we think. I believe too many times "we" as hunters rush the "moment of truth" when there is no need to. And that's when bad things or misses happen.

23-Oct-19
I've shot at muley bucks that were looking right at me, missed, put another arrow on the string and shot them with the second try while they stood there. But I hunt during the rut and it seems like early season bucks are quite a bit more jumpy. I also wear the deer hat quite a bit and can get away with a LOT more movement and activity.

23-Oct-19
Out of a hundred I’d say about 20 ducked.....20%??? ??

23-Oct-19
Out of a hundred I’d say about 20 ducked.....20%??? ??

23-Oct-19
I, too, have had muleys inexplicably stand still for a second shot, but that's an anomaly in my experience. I've also had muleys literally launch from their beds at the sound of my nock attaching to the string. If I've learned anything from the dozens that I've shot, it's that there is nothing predicable about them.

When I say "nervous and alert", I'm talking about a deer that has you basically pegged, either by sight, sound, or smell, and is just waiting for the slightest additional warning sign to make their exit. It also depends on how heavily hunted the deer is, and if he's been shot at before. The bigger bucks in my area get educated quickly, so they're higher strung than in other areas.

Interestingly, I've never had a whitetail jump the string on me. But I have a smaller sample size with them.

Matt

23-Oct-19
I think Lou has something there too. Hunting them in the rut is when I'm hunting them too. You talk about a fun hunt!

24-Oct-19
Interesting to hear all your different experiences. This deer has very little pressure all year as it's on a huge piece of land with very few hunters. Last year at 30yds he didn't have a clue I was there when I shot and he dropped. This year he was nervous and knew something was up but wasn't locked onto me yet. If I get another chance on him I'll go for the heart.

24-Oct-19
To make it simple:

They rarely jump the string so always aim where you want the arrow to go and never compensate for a string jump that may or may not happen.

I personally have never had one drop like an antelope does.

24-Oct-19
Is that a big mule deer to you? It looks awesome to me! I bet the problem is a bit of buck fever! I always shoot high when I get excited. I need to talk myself through it, pick a spot and follow through.

24-Oct-19
Wildwilderness. It's not huge as far as score goes cuz of the missing front but he's a legend to me. I've watched him grow since 2015 and have hunted him since 2017. That year I ended up getting one of his really big buddies and then 2018 and 2019 I missed him. I really was pretty composed on the shot. I literally could see him drop though

24-Oct-19
Statistics say that 7 out of 10 white tail will duck 9 to 10 inches I assume similar for mullies.i always aim for a heart shot if I'm within 50 yards that way even if they duck I'm still double lung all day long.

• Sitka Gear