ohiohunter 27-Jul-20
Tater 27-Jul-20
Bob H in NH 27-Jul-20
Pyrannah 27-Jul-20
Jaquomo 27-Jul-20
21-Oct-19

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
Rocky Mountain Labs here in western Montana recently completed the first study of its kind to determine the effectiveness of sterilizing knives and saws against CWD Prions. A 40% bleach solution soak for 5 minutes will kill surface prions. However, tissue prions are unbelievably tough. They tested infected pieces of brain tissue and soaked them in 100% bleach solution for 30 minutes and it didn't stop Prion activity.

I didn't realize how tough the Prions are. The problem is the bleach doesn't penetrate the tissue apparently.

21-Oct-19
So we need to spray the entire deer habitat with bleach. Sounds like a great plan

21-Oct-19
There is concern with the processing of wild game in commercial food processing facilities. Liability?

21-Oct-19
One local butcher featured in Montana Outdoors could potentially double his profits as he said he'd charge double to process individually instead of "batch" processing. But, the liability risk could run anyone out of business.

21-Oct-19
Ya, not a good situation.

21-Oct-19
The biggest threat to humans from CWD is getting in a wreck with a texting/drunk driver while driving to or from the testing facility.

21-Oct-19
So far there is no evidence that processing or eating CWD carrying critters poses a health risk to humans.

21-Oct-19
Not even on my radar lol

21-Oct-19
Rough county- I would prefer to pay double and get my own clean meat back rather then some killed by some idiot that doesn’t know how to field dress without popping the guts

21-Oct-19
Hold on a minute.....wasn`t there a thread awhile ago where the butchers claimed there was no such thing as "batch processing"...lol

Bleach is one of the greatest inventions in history....from CWD to addict`s syringes.

23-Jul-20
By the way, a lot of similar research has been done on this topic. The students I studied with used https://writix.co.uk/lab-reports-writing-service for help with similar project. And prions turned out to be incredibly resistant to the external environment.

23-Jul-20
Prion is a protein (misfolded) not a living organism like a bacteria or virus. There is nothing to "kill". The goal is to denature the protein so it has no effect on normal proteins.

23-Jul-20
Wonder if you wanted to "clean" you own knives and equipment where you would source 40% bleach? Most of the store bottles fall some where between 5% and 7% active. I have seen some at 12.5% labeled concentrate. I am sure it could be ordered or maybe made from dried pool shock but probably not readily available off the shelf for the average person.

23-Jul-20
Lou,

Not concerned about it being a threat to us, I am not convinced it is a threat to the herd. Are there any documented reports of massive localized die-offs from CWD like we see with EHD?

23-Jul-20
The trouble is, prions can and will mutate. They have tests that show they can be transferable to rats now. I'm planning on paying the $50 to have my deer tested before I let my kids eat the meat.

23-Jul-20
I don’t think most processors grind up different peoples meat together so that you get someone else’s meat

However most will process yours, then right after that process someone else’s without throughly cleaning and sterilizing their equipment.

So if a processor is ethical, under current practices you should get YOUR meat back. But it could be contaminated with prions from the deer right before you. I think that is what they mean by batch processing.

23-Jul-20

23-Jul-20
Community grind isn't uncommon, more common summer sausage (and other specialties) will come from community pot.

Lost Arra.. I've heard the prions are terribly hard to destroy, to the extent they could survive severe heat. I don't know the truth to that, but understand there is nothing to kill so bleach causing lysis isn't the action of elimination its more likely due to sustained ph changes? Am I in the right direction or off the rez?

23-Jul-20
Maybe so but giving you back any meat other than yours is unethical. Would never go back to one that did that.

I have seen the process of mine and he keeps it all separate.

That said, I process all my whitetail myself. I do take elk to a processor

23-Jul-20
ohiohunter: agree. Ultra high heat and/or strong acids break down the bonds of amino acid building blocks of proteins (prions) which also destroys their shape and so how they interact with their environment. Not all proteins are as tough to denature as prions.

26-Jul-20
sivart that sucks you got to pay tp have your deer tested. Up here in alberta you can drop the head at any drop off location and get results back for free.

I've never had one test positive, but its just starting to make headway into my area. If one ever did it would fed to the dog. No need to take the risk when I got 7 deer tags between me and my wife.

27-Jul-20
Tater, is look into canine contraction of cwd before I fed it to mans best friend.

27-Jul-20
As far as I know there is no known cases of it happening and if it did he'd get it anyway considering it's spread through feces and dogs are dogs lol. Never seen him able to pass up a good sniff of some fresh coyote poop lmao.

27-Jul-20
If all you take out of the field is the meat and don't break into the spinal fluid, internal organs, head, aren't you a bit safer?

Bugle has a recent article on it and that was the impression I got. It's in the nervous system and lymph nodes so they were recommending the gutless method.

27-Jul-20
Prions are in the meat as well

27-Jul-20
In one of the studies here in the core endemic area in NoCo, biologists tried to infect predators with CWD. Couldn't do it.

• Sitka Gear