Bou'bound 23-Oct-19
Shug 23-Oct-19
Mertyman 23-Oct-19
StickFlicker 23-Oct-19
Mertyman 23-Oct-19
BOWUNTR 25-Oct-19
Greenland Frank 15-Jul-20
22-Oct-19
Seeing the other thread regarding costs of getting trophies home from Greenland, for those that have already been there and done it, how were the capes prepared? Did you have them just fleshed and salted/dipped and packed, and had to be tanned once they arrived here in the US? Or did you have all of the tanning done in Denmark so they were ready for mounting when they arrived here? Is it even an option to have them tanned here? I'm assuming that would be cheaper than having it done in Denmark.

Curious to know how you guys did it and if there are options or not.

Thanks!

22-Oct-19
As much money as it already costs to freeze, ship, flesh, export, import the cape, might as well have them do the tanning in Denmark. Plus, that way it comes to your US taxidermist ready to place on the form. I used First Class Trophy in Aalborg, Denmark for my Ox, and they did a beautiful job. Cost was 550 Euros to tan a full body muskox cape.

22-Oct-19
Tanning done there is fine when working with a quality company. But also make sure you taxidermist is OK with it. I have done it both ways and both worked with no issue from Denmark

22-Oct-19
This is good to know, needing a central Barren ground bull I need to book this hunt in the near future.

On a side note does Pope and young count Greenland Caribou as central barren ground for their records?

22-Oct-19
sticksender, 550 Euros is about half what I paid to tan full hides here in the states. So if the tanning is good then that is a great deal.

22-Oct-19
James, P&Y does accept the Greenland Central Barren Ground caribou and the Greenland Muskox in the record books.

22-Oct-19
I went there to just kill a caribou and it turned out to be a very expensive trip. I was afraid to add it up but just to get antlers home was more than 2000.00.

22-Oct-19
Damn Greg, that isn’t Encouraging. Bad enough we can’t get any of the meat home

22-Oct-19
Digital photos are free.

22-Oct-19
I agree with bou. Save your money and aggravation! I wish I never had mine mounted and took more pictures. If you were dead set on it I would contact First Class Taxidermy in Denmark (the company Frank uses) and ask the costs associated with them taking on the mounting and shipping

23-Oct-19
I need to get a handle on this a decide between GL and and Canada. Needing, or wanting both central barren ground and an Muskox Greenland looked like the place to maybe arrow both in one trip.

23-Oct-19
OUCH!!!! That makes the combo hunt at Canada North look much better!

23-Oct-19
I went to Greenland a few years ago. The all in cost of getting my Ox skull and dried/salted hide back to the US was slightly north of 2k.

It seem anywhere you go outside of North America, expect around 2k.

These were my costs (including taxi prep).

Greenland(2016) was around 2k for the ox (skull and dried hide).

South Africa(2018) was around 2.8k for a box of 7 animals(skulls and dries hides).

Argentina(2019)- around 2.4k for 2 stag euros(complete with plaque) and a blackbuck skull and dried hide.

The costs are getting tiring and I may start not bringing as much stuff back.

23-Oct-19
As far as the decision between Greenland or Nunavut, it might come down to whether or not you want to experience Greenland. Even though cost is higher due to travel expense and trophy import logistics, I'd probably choose Greenland again. Mainly for the stunning unique environment which would've been a shame to miss. Arrowing a muskox is nearly a 100% proposition if you can shoot straight. The CCGBC on the other hand, seems to carry a lower success rate. None of the 3 bowhunters in our camp last year arrowed a caribou. But partly due to losing the first two hunting days from weather delays that prevented boating to camp.

23-Oct-19
Coming back from Canada with a Muskox and Caribou I just put the Muskox horns and Cape and Caribou cape in a big duffle bag, Caribou horns as an extra piece of luggage and got on the plane. Sounds much easier and much cheaper than the Greenland experience. Of course if you want to experience Greenland, than you have to go to Greenland to do it.

23-Oct-19
I am not a big one for going crazy on stuffing every animal that falls to one of my arrows, but I know that many people are. I would just say to forego the Greenland experience/adventure over the need to have a mount or the cost of said mount would be a huge missed opportunity. There is no price that can be put on memories and experiences that are unique. stuff on the walls are a dime a dozen and will be thrown out in the future by someone anyway.

23-Oct-19

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I don’t know if it’s an option

Just got mine back... Two Ox... 1 European 1- capped to mount 1 flat entire ox 1 cape

Pretty steep by the time it’s home... I’m fortunate to have a bad memory .

One thing I try to never do is keep track of costs...otherwise I’d never go anywhere

23-Oct-19
Thanks to the few that have answered my question about getting the tanning done in Denmark or back here. Looks like there is no consensus as to where it should be done.

23-Oct-19
"Looks like there is no consensus as to where it should be done."

Let me get this. You came on BOWSITE and asked a question hoping to receive a consensus answer!? Ha! Good one!

23-Oct-19
"Looks like there is no consensus as to where it should be done." Let me get this. You came on BOWSITE and asked a question hoping to receive a consensus answer!? Ha! Good one!

Yeah, I guess I should've known better. Was just hoping for more that have actually been there and brought trophies back to reply.

25-Oct-19

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
I brought 2 home and had them tanned in Denmark. I never asked about any other options. I'm just like Shug, once the money is spent I forget about it. Was pleased with the tanning. I mounted one and sold the other cape to recover most of the costs. Too unique of an animal not to mount. Ed F

15-Jul-20
P&Y classifies Greenland Muskox, and Greenland Caribou as Central Barren Ground Canadian Caribou.

• Sitka Gear