Matt 25-Oct-19
pirogue 25-Oct-19
huntinelk 12-Nov-19
hdaman 12-Nov-19
Trial153 12-Nov-19
hunterken 13-Nov-19
hunterken 13-Nov-19
22-Oct-19
Reading the TSA rules on flying with a pistol, it says if the pistol is in an approved and locked hard case that the case can then be put inside another piece of luggage. My question is, has anyone done this with the pistol case inside a Terraglide type bow case? Any issues? I know it should be the same as any suit case and ultimately it will be up to the agent that is checking me in, just looking for feedback.

What other ways have you flown with a pistol and bowhunting gear ?

22-Oct-19
Do it all the time. Just lock your case and declare it as a firearm. No issues on my end.

22-Oct-19
The way I read it, I didn't want to mess with getting screwed at the airport so I just leave the pistol case unlocked and used a lockable bow case. I think you're asking for trouble if you do it the way you mentioned. I have a feeling you'll do it 9 times without a problem and the 10th, you'll get some a-hole that says you can't do it and then you're at the airport and screwed.

22-Oct-19
Your pistol will have to be inside a locked case. It can certainly be placed into other baggage, yes.

22-Oct-19
What Nick said... never had a problem. Ed F

22-Oct-19
Iv been told many times that firearms get special treatment and putting a sidearm into your bow case and declaring the firearm is a good way of insuring your bow ect arrives safely. Not sure if I trust that BUT have been told that a bunch.

22-Oct-19
Never had any issue in fact I prefer it because now my bow case is locked and can not be open by the TSA.

22-Oct-19
Guns have always been the easiest part for me it’s the meat/cape that always gets me in trouble lol. Yes you can put a pistol case into a piece of luggage of course it has to be declared and checked and you will have to pick it up separate upon arriving at final destination, you should try double bow case I pack my clothes and everything including pistol into use my pack with some other clothes as carry on so I can fly the meat back.

22-Oct-19
I do it all the time too. As stated above TSA will ask you to lock it before the inspection. No agent digging through your bow case moving everything around. Like fubar said I have heard guns are a "must ride" with the passenger. Not sure if that true or not but I never remember my case not arriving with me with a pistol in there.

22-Oct-19
Tennhunter said that " Yes you can put a pistol case into a piece of luggage of course it has to be declared and checked and you will have to pick it up separate upon arriving at final destination."

I flew from Indianapolis to Denver and back in August with a declared pistol in my checked suitcase, and each time my bag rolled out onto the baggage carousel with all the other luggage. No picking it up separate for me.

I suppose this could vary depending on the airport and/or airline. I flew Frontier on the way to Denver, and United back to Indy. Other than flagging my bag with an orange tag and placing an orange marker inside my bag to identify the location of the firearm, I didn't see any other special handling by Frontier. In Denver, after tagging my bag I had to accompany a steward to a special room where my bag was scanned, but not opened, and then back to the check-in counter. But again, my bag was spit out on the carousel with everyone else's when I arrived in Indy.

22-Oct-19
I'm wondering if the OP is talking about not locking the bow case because everyone seems to be talking about locking the bow case. I read it as not locking the bow case, but having the pistol in a locked case inside of an unlocked bow case.

23-Oct-19
"Do it all the time. Just lock your case and declare it as a firearm. No issues on my end. "

Yup, and comes out on the same carousel as all the other luggage. My bow case will usually come out with the oversized bags, but not my main bag with sidearm.

23-Oct-19
Talking about putting the pistol in a small hard plastic case that is approx 10" x 7" x 3", locking that case with non tsa locks. At that point all tsa requirements would be met.

Then putting that case inside the Terraglide type rolling duffle with bows and other gear. The only way to lock the Terraglide or most soft sided regular suit cases is going to be with small lock through the zippers.

23-Oct-19
I also lock my bow case with TSA cable locks. they will go through the hole in the top of most zippers. No problems either way.

23-Oct-19
Like Nick and other, yes I've done it a number of times. It's not a big deal at all. In fact, I'm thinking about bringing a gun on more trips even when I don't need one.

For the additional $25 the TSA folks are required to have me present in order to go through the bag. This alleviates any mishandling of my hunting gear. It alleviates any concern about somebody possibly sabotaging my hunting gear (because that has happened and it sucks). So for only $25 my bow, arrows, and other equipment will be more carefully handled. That's why I'm doing it.

23-Oct-19
When they "tag" it as a firearm do they tag the pistol case and/or tag the luggage it went into? I've taken a shotgun in my bow case before but my aluminum bow case looks a lot like a rifle case.

In fact had to get my bow checked as a firearm once in the basement of the SF airport. The folks insisted a bow had to be checked just like a firearm. Here I'd left my lawyer at home..... Every other airport I've checked in a firearm the inspector came up to us at the check in. (one was looking down the open tubes of a broken down o/u and asking me if it was loaded.....) San Fran I had to go down into this dark scary basement dungeon. At the time I was thinking I really wanted to be armed..... looked like a pawnshop scene from Pulp Fiction, Gimp and all..... then had to argue with them about having my bow inspected as a firearm. They didn't want to do it..... said it was stupid and silly. I wholeheartedly agreed.... but nobody would come back up with me into the light and relay that message......

24-Oct-19
For years, I’ve put an old .22 revolver pistol in my bowcase, in order to declare firearm, lock it and keep it locked. If they want to look at anything, I’m going to be there to watch.

24-Oct-19
"For years, I’ve put an old .22 revolver pistol in my bowcase, in order to declare firearm, lock it and keep it locked. If they want to look at anything, I’m going to be there to watch."

Unless they ask for your keys and look at your gear in a secure area you are not allowed into as occurs at some airports (San Jose, CA is an example).

24-Oct-19
Agreed, no 2 airports are the same, and the same airport is sometimes different from year to year, but I’ve been through a bunch of them.

25-Oct-19
TD: When they "tag" it as a firearm do they tag the pistol case and/or tag the luggage it went into?

Yes, the bag gets a special red and black banded tag. That bag gets special handling. Like pirogue, I am starting to pack a firearm and pay $25 just in order to receive the special handling. My hope is that they make sure not to lose a piece of luggage with a gun in it.

Another good point is that every airport is different. Just one clueless airline person is all it takes to send your baggage for a special screening. Last fall an old lady working at the Frontier desk in Boise told me my bow was a firearm, so I had to comply, but only after I told her she was an idiot.

25-Oct-19
Always put a pistol in my SKB bowcase with TSA locks and check as a firearm. Figure the airline is less likely to lose a firearm than a bow. No issues to date. Hope I didn't just jinx myself!

25-Oct-19
I always fly with a firearm. Only once was my bag marked on the outside. Usually they put the declaration paper in my bag on top of the case. Bag comes out with all the other people's bags.

25-Oct-19
I dont think I've ever had my bag specially marked while carrying a pistol.

25-Oct-19
For clarification, my pistol is not separately cased. Lays inside the bow case, next to bow. I put private lock on bow case. If they need to look, they call me. Some airports, like PHX, inspect and swab it, while your present. Others say they will call you if they need to look. I would never put a TSA lock on it. Might as well put a sign on it and say, “Hey. Look what I got”. Never paid extra on Southwest.

12-Nov-19

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
Here is what I'm hoping works, this case locked like this inside a Terraglide type roller. I will also TSA lock the zippers on the Terraglide.

This meets the requirements the way they are written, but again all comes down to the agent at check in.

12-Nov-19
For those who travel with a handgun, how do you transport your ammo?

12-Nov-19
Make sure the ammo is in the original box then just place it in your bag separate from the case, never had any issue

13-Nov-19
In the Deer Lake airport, i had a large soft duffle bag with a takedown rifle in a locked hard case and everything i had packed for the trip and the ammo was in a plastic ammo case inside the duffle. They said the ammo had to be in a separate bag. I showed them the airline regulations that said the ammo had to be in a separate CASE. They wouldn’t buy it so i had to throw away the ammo. Thank god it didn’t happen on the way there or i would have been out of luck.

13-Nov-19
In the Deer Lake airport, i had a large soft duffle bag with a takedown rifle in a locked hard case and everything i had packed for the trip and the ammo was in a plastic ammo case inside the duffle. They said the ammo had to be in a separate bag. I showed them the airline regulations that said the ammo had to be in a separate CASE. They wouldn’t buy it so i had to throw away the ammo. Thank god it didn’t happen on the way there or i would have been out of luck.

• Sitka Gear