GF 24-Oct-19
drycreek 24-Oct-19
8point 25-Oct-19
EmbryOklahoma 25-Oct-19
8point 26-Oct-19
24-Oct-19

8point's embedded Photo
8point's embedded Photo
What's worse than having the wind change and your # 2 buck bust you and leave? That would be watching him bedded in the goldenrod 60 yards away for 3 hours. He got up 2 hours in, came to within 40 yards, ate, peed, then went back and laid down. Thought I had him for sure. Made for a great day in the stand.

24-Oct-19
Nothing really bad about any of that, what a blessing to witness and be out in the woods... I am stuck in my office! :)

24-Oct-19
I would say having the buck bust you would be worse. Because then you might not have an opportunity again, but if you just watched him for hours and he didn't spook, there might be a better chance that he comes back to that area.

24-Oct-19
Not seeing a deer would be worse

24-Oct-19
Sounds like you need to brush up on your stalking skills. If he is sleeping go kill him.

24-Oct-19
You should have done what they do on TV, just launch an arrow at him and hope for the best

24-Oct-19

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Making a bad shot on your #2 and finding him 2 days later seams worse to me.

24-Oct-19
Both seem pretty good to me. Close encounters are what it’s all about in my book

24-Oct-19
When wind changes directions it doesn’t just happen because the App says so. If you have SW winds and 6 hours later it is calling for NW winds you can expect to have some NW winds mixed in with your SW winds. You really need to look well beyond the timeframe you will be in the stand and see what the weather was, what is will be, and what is is changing to.

24-Oct-19
Not having a number two, in-fact not having a number one. I am not seeing enough deer to have targeted any, non, nada, zilch, I'm not seeing deer right now. I am hoping the advent of rifle season this weekend pushes some into deeper cover where I will find them. Or at least changes patterns so I can lay eyes on a couple.

oz

24-Oct-19
RIT, Weather called for a steady SW wind all day. The wind swirled for about a minute before he had enough.

24-Oct-19
Link x2

24-Oct-19
So, he winded you and only went 60 yards and bedded down? Or he bedded 60 yards away and then winded you? I'm just trying to get this straight for my memory bank, not questioning you or anything you are doing. Also, what was his body language when he did wind you?

24-Oct-19
I think Link made a pretty compelling argument.

24-Oct-19

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
Yep, Link, that would suck !

Not my deer, but it is my dog.

25-Oct-19
EmbryOklahoma The buck came out into the goldenrod and bedded about 60 yards away. After 2 hours, he got up and came to within 40 yards , then returned to the bed at 60 yards and laid down, after an hour, the wind turned and he split. At no time was there a shot opportunity because 1, there were branches between me and him, and 2, because of shoulder surgery I am using a 40# bow with an effective range of 20 to 25 yards.

25-Oct-19
Got ya. I thought you had meant be winded you and then bedded down. Thought that was odd... now I know. Thanks. Hope you get another crack at him!

26-Oct-19
Just to spice it up, an hour before the buck showed up, my stand just dropped out from under me. The ratchet strap just came loose. My best guess is that when I mounted the stand, I drew up the slack to much and didn't get a good wrap when I tightened it. My safety worked to a T. I was able to remount the stand and climb back in to finish the hunt. That's the second time in different stands. I can't believe the risk we use to take 30 years ago.

• Sitka Gear