Chasewild 29-Oct-19
PECO 29-Oct-19
GF 29-Oct-19
LKH 29-Oct-19
GF 29-Oct-19
Trophyhill 30-Oct-19
Grey Ghost 30-Oct-19
24-Oct-19
A couple of posts on here got me thinking. Who has arrowed a bedded deer, and how did that work out?

24-Oct-19
I have and have watched them drop in sight.

24-Oct-19
It only works if you wear a Gold Tip visor.

24-Oct-19
I have, dead within 40 yards.

24-Oct-19
A WT, but not MD. Worked out like any other deer I shot/killed. In my belly!

24-Oct-19
I killed an elk that was bedded. Watched him fall asleep actually. I shot him through the heart. He stood up for a few seconds, sat down like a dog, and rolled over sideways off the shelf he was on and ended up at the bottom of the drainage.

Not really any difference between a bedded animal and any other, just have to be sure you aiming in the right spot.

24-Oct-19
I am personal not a fan of bedded shots. Each to their own . But I have had bad luck. I wait for them to stand myself. Hunt

25-Oct-19
It is a tough shot for me unless I can get a clear spine shot as a follow up on a hit bedded deer. I normally would not take a shot at a bedded animal because of seemingly poor access to the vitals.

25-Oct-19
We were pheasant hunting In South Dakota and bow hunting deer in the late 90s. Our annual trip hunting with relatives.

I was in a field with the dogs pheasant hunting and my dad and uncle drive up yelling they just saw a good buck cross a 2 track and go into a corn field. And so they went back and got my dads bow and his arrows. For me to go after it.

I’m thinking, OK, you saw a deer :45 ago, go into a typical 600 acre SD cornfield.

I start out on the track and am talking to myself, saying, Self, this is a huge waste of time.

I’m going row to row looking into the next row, then step. Then repeat. About :30 in and there he is bedded. His butt towards me and is front legs head and neck forming and L shape and his head is in the middle of the corn stalks.

I back out sneak down closer and pop back out just under 30 yds. (No range finder then)

With his butt facing me I need to thread the arrow just in front of the rear Ham.

I draw slowly step out and shoot.

I blood trail and track this deer out of the field and the tracks lead into nothing but a mile of dirt field. So not seeing the deer laying there I regroup and get help.

We take up the trail. Now with my own bow setup. Track the deer to a Swail that is approx 50 yds across. The grass is only 18” tall so he can’t hide in there. We find a bed on the edge with blood in in but no deer.

The tracks go in and don’t come out.

We are all scratching our heads talking for approx :10 And the deer jumps up with grass and mud in his antlers and runs across the dirt field into another corn field.

I stay on the track. No blood now.

After a long track into a huge corn field I find him bedded again in the corn. And make a better shot. Killing the deer.

The first arrow had apparently glanced off the rear lower leg and skipped up and grazed his muzzle.

So the initial blood trail was a lower leg and nose wound. not a fatal hit at all. He bled less than most people’s bloody nose.

25-Oct-19
3 of us were hunting elk in NM unit 15. our first time drawing it.

My friend stalks in on a bedded herd. With a bull below him on a steep grade. The bull is on a narrow bench.

He waits and waits for the bull to stand. then starts getting nervous when the wind starts to get sketchy.

He figured he can angle the arrow into the pocket and shoots.

The bull jumps to his feet and stands there with his head down. Nose almost to the ground.

My friend is waiting for him to tip over.

So he puts his Binos on him and discovers the bull is standing there sniffing his arrow.

Then the bull walks off out of his life.

He put the arrow right at the bottom of the pocket and missed the bull completely.

25-Oct-19

badguybuster's embedded Photo
badguybuster's embedded Photo
I killed this one bedded down in the rain after a 60 yard stalk. It was an 8 yard shot. He only went 12 yards.

25-Oct-19
I’m not a fan of bedded shots. If given the right opportunity I’d do it but I prefer them to stand.

25-Oct-19

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
I cannot recall ever shooting anything while bedded. I remember going home for lunch one day and stalking up in a small buck wearing dress shoes and slacks to about 12 yards- here is a photo. Miss the deer watching from our old house in Colorado.

25-Oct-19
Shot a sleeping coyote. Never had a chance at a deer, depending on the angle I guess. -Jeff

25-Oct-19
Have done it but would rather wait for a standing shot.

26-Oct-19
I shot a red hartebeast bull at 12 yards walk and stalk while bedded and got a complete pass through while braking the opposite leg as well. I geared myself to be able to take any possible shot at any animal I may encounter. I shoot a 650gr arrow from a 84 pound 32inch draw bow.

As long as I know where the vitals are, I should be fine.

26-Oct-19
I've done it but prefer they stand.

26-Oct-19
I’m not a fan of bedded shots. If given the right opportunity I’d do it but I prefer them to stand.

26-Oct-19
Prefer not to take a shot at a bedded animal. Have had poor results when trying to finish off several. Got them but would not if they were not already shot. Need to hit lower and unless it is positioned just right it is hard to double lung tem.

26-Oct-19
I've shot at least a half a dozen... never lost one. 3 years ago on Kodiak I shot 3 arrows at 3 different bedded deer and watched them all fall in sight. I will say that at least 90% of the time the shot presentation is not good and I wait for them to stand. Ed F

26-Oct-19
Never had the opportunity (except, to "finish" an animal that was down).

I believe I'd take the shot, if my angle was correct (20 yards or less)...use my "X-Ray Vision" to see the vitals, and place the arrow accordingly.

28-Oct-19
I learned 25 yrs ago the hard way it’s a tough angle. Also The vitals can be at odd angles.

Read my little tale above.

I’ve done it successfully since that tale. But they have to be laying just right and the wind and terrain have to be just right.

I will say it’s much easier to wait out an animal to stand from firearm range.

Crawling into bow range and waiting for an animal to stand usually doesn’t pan out.

My luck is the wind swirls, they stand up facing the wrong way, or walk the wrong way. It’s hard to be patient when all those thing that can go wrong start going through your head. Making you want to shoot too soon.

I have gotten much better at letting animals go. Instead of pushing a marginal opportunity that I worked hard to get into.

I think it’s due to getting through the (must kill) years and progressing to the (hunt quality) period in life.

28-Oct-19
If you've shot enough 3-D you've faced the bedded doe, ram and buck targets. How'd you do?

28-Oct-19
A few deer, a couple mouflon and a bull elk. The bull was a passthough into a tree he was kinda leaning up against and stuck in the tree. Hit him perfect, he struggled a bit getting up, ran maybe 15-20 yards and plowed head on into a tree and down.... was a wild few seconds.

Like stated above.... most times you won't have a clean clear shot, often not a great angle. Like any other shot I try not to force it. But given the right circumstances I'll take it like any other. I'd say 3/4 of them have been uphill shots as most times bedded in the shade under a tree or bush and dropping an arrow in on them is tough. Like any other shot.... you need the lane, the angles to vitals..... and need to make the shot.

These axis bucks are funny in that they will bed with each buck facing a different direction. One buck will stand and shift his position after a while and one by one the others will stand and shift their position until they are all facing different directions again. Kinda cool to watch it. Hard to get in on them bedded unless you've got a good wind moving things around. Or you see one close his eyes..... =D

28-Oct-19
“If you've shot enough 3-D you've faced the bedded doe, ram and buck targets. How'd you do?”

I was out on Saturday and ‘twarn’t purty!

Most times, those targets are less forgiving of any range estimation errors, and vitals are protected by the spine & backstraps if you’re behind them.

Bedded Elk target is easier, but the way it’s positioned, it’s easy to whack a leg if you’re a bit low. That would really suck on a live animal.

28-Oct-19
The first deer I ever arrowed was a bedded doe. She jumped up and ran off and I went to her bed to look for my arrow thinking I had missed. Couldn’t find it, but I looked in the direction she ran and saw something white moving and it was her. I couldn’t see where she ran from the place I shot from. Died 40/50 yards from her bed. I was glad to get her !

28-Oct-19
It really depends on the angle of the shot and the angle of the deer. Being above them is really different than being below them. I've only shot two bedded deer and I got both. One was a stalk and one was a buck that bedded at 45 yards after I shot him out of a tree stand. I've seen one go bad from a hunting partner who was below the deer.

I've waited several out only to have the wind give me up and waited a couple out that I blew once they stood because I drew at the wrong time once they stood. Live and learn.

29-Oct-19
Just repeat to yourself -- what would ulmer do? He'd get to 40, wait for the stand up, and make it count.....every year.....sometimes twice.

29-Oct-19
Well I got to 40 yards. The small buck busted me, the large buck did not offer a shot and they booked, fast. I could of got a shot off at the large buck while he was bedded but it did not look/feel right. I did ask myself, would Ulmer have pulled this off and killed this deer?

29-Oct-19
Doesn’t matter what Ulmer would do.....

Unless you shoot like Ulmer.

29-Oct-19
11 yards. Longbow, but it had stood up.

29-Oct-19
Now you’re talkin’!

30-Oct-19
It's like an 80 yard shot. Too many things could go wrong. The deer (or elk) could take a breath, or roll over in his sleep before the arrow gets there making for a poor shot angle ;)

30-Oct-19
I've stalked many bedded Mule deer. In fact, it's my favorite way to hunt them. In my experience, they often stand because they've been alerted to my presence. Then, they either bolt immediately, or they are like a loaded spring ready to explode at the slightest confirmation of danger. Both scenarios make executing a shot almost impossible.

I'd much prefer shooting them out their bed, if I have a clear shot at a relaxed animal. If not, I'll wait them out, and hope for the best. I don't think there's any right or wrong answer, here, and every scenario is a little different.

Matt

• Sitka Gear