KSflatlander 27-Oct-19
SteveB 27-Oct-19
itshot 27-Oct-19
wildwilderness 27-Oct-19
LKH 27-Oct-19
Rupe 28-Oct-19
JTV 28-Oct-19
26-Oct-19
and I still have two vacations coming ... lol ... time to Doe hunt ... this was the 'hardest' deer hunt/extraction Ive ever had .....heres the story as I posted on another site ....

Killed a 205 lb FD 8 pt yesterday on State land (F&W area) (Oct. 25th)... he went down waaaay back in a marsh, took me 6 hours to get him out by myself, he destroyed my deer cart !! .... lol ... ... only went 150 yds, but about a half mile drag/cart to be able to get him loaded up on the SUV hitch carrier, the drag and cart was unbelieveable !! .. hit him at 5:44 CDT, got him loaded at 12:20 AM ...... Wac 'Em 4 blade, sheered off the top of the aorta, sprayed like crazy ... thank goodness I'm healthy and in shape ... very hard to get him out .... my worst drag/extraction ever !! ..... I hunted the AM (4.5 hrs) and then the PM (4.25 hrs) two different locations , I was awake for 25 hrs straight ... I worked 4-12 Thurs. night, only a 1.5 hr lay down prior to getting up and getting ready and hunting, it was 2Am by the time I got him hung in the garage... one heck of a DYI hunt ...

I'm gettin' to old for this crap ... lol ... ... it was worth it ... us dedicated deer hunters are a crazy bunch thats for sure .... now I have to get a new cart ... looking at the Hawk Crawler and a sled of some type for situations like this ... btw, thank goodness for Aleves .. ;0)

26-Oct-19
here's the story on the hit, sometimes luck comes into play .. there is no thing as a 'give me' shot either ... he came out of the marsh to my north, going to the west, my right to left.. I have a well worked scrape to my north 30 yd'ish away .. he looked like a bull walking to it, huge chest, swollen neck, etc ... he started pawing it, broadside, should be a 'give me' in a perfect world for me, I came to full draw, at the release he turned to face me to work the branch, all in a milli second as I released, the arrow on its way .... I hit him full frontal (great for elk at times) .. the 28" 427 gr Goldtip Velocity XT with a Wac Em 4 blade went in 3/4 way, the Nocturnal nock shining red ... he turned and ran towards north/NE to the marsh past the tree where I killed the 139" 8 pt in 2016 ... I lost site of him in the cattails/tall marsh grass .......... I'm thinking crap, crap crap !! ... since I hunt in a bow only area and you must take your stand in and out every hunt, I took my time taking the stand/sticks down/packing my outerwear, etc. and put it all on my back .... I walked over to the scrape, at 5 yds there was a HUGE spray of blood ... it was like that for the 150 yds he ran on a well used deer trail thru the marsh/water,etc.... Freddy Krueger would have been proud !! .. he sprayed the tops of the grass and cattails to 6 ft !! .. a blind man could follow this trail .. it was a muddy, wet mess the whole way, blood covered .. I could smell him before I saw him, all musky and such and such a great odor it is too ;0) .. .... my first thought was, crap, how am I going to get him out of here ... to my advantage (?) he went down where the water ends on soft/muddy ground as he left the wetter stuff ... ..... upon dressing him, the BH sheared off the top of the aorta and went between the lungs doing a lot of damage, I found the back half of the arrow/lighted nock while trailing, never did find the front portion, even after searching the innards and such .. then the fun began .... ;0)

26-Oct-19

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo

26-Oct-19
Congratulations Jeff!

26-Oct-19
Great deer well done

26-Oct-19
Congrats!

26-Oct-19
Yes this is a crazy ass addiction we have!!! Congrats!!!

26-Oct-19
Congrats Jeff. Sounds like your earned your venison!

26-Oct-19
Sweet man! Any more pics?

26-Oct-19
Jeff

Good job. Congrats!!

26-Oct-19
Go, Jeff. nicely done.

26-Oct-19
a labor of love, suggest sled, have used both and a sled is a lot easier. My son burned his ice fishing tent sled up (a good story) and that sled has work very well he was going to trash it and I said no, comes in handy for different hauls.

26-Oct-19
Suggest forgetting game carts and sleds they will never be able to complete with a good backpack. Congrats on the great deer!

26-Oct-19
Congrats!!!! Awesome! Ya if it isn’t an easy drag I’m all for cutting and packing

26-Oct-19
Nice work Jeff! Turned 60 during my elk hunt this year, and I have been asking myself the same question lately. I've been putting in 4-6 miles/day wearing rubber boots while power scouting various Indiana public near me weekdays (if a lot is empty). And returning home dead to the world. But I can't quit. I've been so sore I can't go 2 consecutive days. Yesterday I busted a brute bedded in a marsh right on the edge of a pond, in a 30 wide yard funnel. This guy waited until I almost stepped on him to bust out of there. And he bolted right into the pond, making a huge ruckus splashing water for a long time escaping. Got me thinking if I shot one there, what kind of retrieval I may be in for!

Please post a better photo of the rack.

26-Oct-19
Congrats!

26-Oct-19
Grats Jeff. I'll second the request for more pics.

I'm really surprised he went 150 yards with a sheared aorta. He was one tough deer.

I'm with fubar. I don't drag deer long distances. I think it's a Western vs Eastern thing. If a deer is >100 yds from the road, I just break out an 8X10 foot tarp and bone them out on the spot. Has to be done eventually anyways.

26-Oct-19
Congrats!!!!

26-Oct-19
Way to go Jeff! Congrats!!

26-Oct-19
Yeah, I am out West and I would bone it however in the east when I grew up in Maryland we had to ck them in at a checking station (Whole)

26-Oct-19
Congrats. It's a good thing it wasn't an elk.:)

26-Oct-19
Excellent Jeff, Congratulations!!!!!

26-Oct-19
Congrats JTV - beauty of a buck. You earned him more on the way out, than in the scouting and prep from the sounds of it!

26-Oct-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Congrats man, sounds like you earned it. And yes this addiction is nuts. I'm sleeping in my back seat tonight at a public boat ramp so I can hunt a new farm I just got permission on in the morning.

26-Oct-19
NICE one Jeff!!!

26-Oct-19
Congrats!!

27-Oct-19
Atta boy, Jeff! Great buck and great story.

27-Oct-19
Nice!! I guess I won’t order a deer cart!

27-Oct-19
VG- Congrats !

27-Oct-19
I'm going to get a sled to finish out the season while I hunt for a big Doe, if I go into late season, and snow on it will be better then anyways ... I'll look at the Hawk Crawler for next year .... well, it looks like I'll be Steelhead and Salmon fishing on my two up coming vacations and a sit or two for a Doe of course ;0) .. I'm really happy with this buck, not the heaviest or largest rack, but the whole ordeal.... he's the 3rd heaviest Ive taken, the heaviest was 224lbs and then another 210 lbs with quite a few in the 170's, 180's and 190's .... one thing for sure, this one will restock the freezer, esp. after losing 50-60lbs of last years meat when the freezer went out ... thanks guys !! .......

27-Oct-19
Nice. Congratulations.

27-Oct-19
Congrats, great public land buck! Shawn

27-Oct-19

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
Well, I just got back from Dunham Sports, they had 4 styles of sleds , the most expensive was $70 ... I got this one for $30 + tx ..... it will do for the rest of the season with me just Doe hunting now ...

27-Oct-19
Nice work, congrats

27-Oct-19
Very nice.

27-Oct-19
Congrats.

27-Oct-19
After the swelling goes down :-) everything will look and feel better ! Congrats, that’s a heavy buck !

Oh, and you ain’t the only one that thanks God for Aleve.

27-Oct-19
all I can say is that I hurt (in many places) !! .... ;0)

27-Oct-19
Nice! Congrats...

27-Oct-19
Nice deer Jeff.... That kind of drag would kill me.

27-Oct-19
Nice buck!

27-Oct-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
That was the first sled I bought, that thing was horrible. The slightest left or right lean and it will roll over. I drug one deer out of the woods with it and one through the snow then through it away. Got a really good ice fishing sled with deep sides.

27-Oct-19
well, I hope not ^^ at least not for dragging out a Doe .... I could have got a heavier one with deeper sides, I didnt want to put out the extra cash for one .. I tossed that old cart of mine in a trash bin, close to 30 yrs old it was, an old Strong Built ... I carted out many a deer with it, and it was always tipping over, this last deer finally did it in .... that Hawk Crawler is what I have my sights set on ...

27-Oct-19
Man is that neck ever swollen. Nice buck Jeff and thanks to the story.

27-Oct-19
Nice...

27-Oct-19
Congrats!

27-Oct-19
Hardest working man with a bow. Congrats and well earned. Absolutely a trophy with all the hard effort you put in. Way to go.

27-Oct-19
And people think it’s easy! Well done!

27-Oct-19
pastrami!!

27-Oct-19
Whitetail hunters always crack me up. 205 lb field dress.... of course it’s a pain to drag out WHOLE. Debone it and save your self the trouble. Try elk a few miles down a canyon, or a moose through a swamp then you can complain about a bad pack out ;)

27-Oct-19
Congratulations. Are you not allowed to skin and quarter deer? Much easier than a drag out. Even if you need 2 trips its much easier on the old body.

28-Oct-19
Congratulations on a nice buck JTV.

28-Oct-19
LKH, yes, it can be done here once you get your 'confirmation number', which can be done on the phone or computer to check in the deer, and you have a transportation tag filled out ... I called the DNR today to check .... however, I would still go thru all that again, I prefer to get my deer out whole and would just use a sled and the Hawk Crawler as I stated above ....

• Sitka Gear