APauls 30-Oct-19
bentshaft 30-Oct-19
Keith 30-Oct-19
jrstegner 30-Oct-19
BullBuster 30-Oct-19
Brian M. 30-Oct-19
HH 30-Oct-19
30-Oct-19
I have witnessed does doing this several times. I think the first time was about 1994 in SE Iowa. I was confused, too, at first. Could hear grunting down the trail and it was a lone doe stopping to grunt every 15 yards or so. She passed by at 10 yards. Have seen it several times since, whether alone, with fawns or in a group.

30-Oct-19
Yup, doe grunt. I've only witnessed it a few times, and it was when they were with young deer (possibly her fawns). It seems to be more of a "hey, quit messing around and pay attention...it's time to move" call than a dominance thing.

30-Oct-19
Yep every year. Does grunt, cows bugle. It's 2019 ;)

30-Oct-19
Yep.

30-Oct-19
She's a long time smoker.

30-Oct-19
I hear them grunt every year too. They are trying to locate their fawn. Deer are far more vocal than most people realize. Fawns also grunt, the volume is a lot lower than a bucks tending, or trailing grunt. On a calm day i would have to be within 30 yards to hear a doe grunt.

30-Oct-19
I also hear does grunt for their fawns every year. Clearly not as guttural as a buck but similar. Of course I have deer hanging out 20-30 yards from my porch eating fallen apples so I’m right with them a lot.

30-Oct-19
One time that I can recall, thought it was a buck, the grunt was so loud. No fawn with her that I saw. I shot at that doe and my arrow hit a branch almost before the fletching cleared the riser. Arrow hit the ground a foot or so in front of her. Stopped her from grunting, anyway.

30-Oct-19
More than bucks!

Whitetail Doe vocalize all the time and are prolly more agressive over then span of a year than any buck.

Never use a buck grunt ever! I have made or modified grunts to sound like doe i hear. Just a reed change.

Very lite grunts and learn to emphasize what the grunt is saying by how its delivered. Not hard once you’ve heard enough.

K~

• Sitka Gear