Keith 30-Oct-19
jrstegner 30-Oct-19
BullBuster 30-Oct-19
Brian M. 30-Oct-19
JTV 30-Oct-19
Bloodtrail 30-Oct-19
HH 30-Oct-19
30-Oct-19
Last night I had some does and fawns coming my way. I heard a very clear grunt. I could see a doe coming from that direction and assumed a buck was following her. However she looked my way and grunted again. Clearly it was the doe that made that noise. Twice I heard her do it later. It was definitely not a bleat, it was a grunt as plain as the noise that comes out of my grunt tube. I'm sure I've heard over a 1000 grunts and bleats in my life and I have no confusion between the 2 sounds.

Also this doe had a fawn with her. I got a very good look at the top of her head and also her under carriage when she went past me. It was a doe.

I'm sure there will be jokes about how this dear identifies, but has anyone heard a doe make a clear grunt? Over 35 years of hunting whitetails and this was a first for me.

30-Oct-19
I have witnessed does doing this several times. I think the first time was about 1994 in SE Iowa. I was confused, too, at first. Could hear grunting down the trail and it was a lone doe stopping to grunt every 15 yards or so. She passed by at 10 yards. Have seen it several times since, whether alone, with fawns or in a group.

30-Oct-19
Yup, doe grunt. I've only witnessed it a few times, and it was when they were with young deer (possibly her fawns). It seems to be more of a "hey, quit messing around and pay attention...it's time to move" call than a dominance thing.

30-Oct-19
yep, I have heard and seen Does do the 'grunt' many times, esp. to call their young ....

30-Oct-19
Yep every year. Does grunt, cows bugle. It's 2019 ;)

30-Oct-19
Yep.

30-Oct-19
Adam, you mean you've heard a doe grunt every year? WTH? This is my 36th year of bowhunting whitetails and I've never experienced it. I hadn't actually heard a snort wheeze firsthand until this year either though...

30-Oct-19
She's a long time smoker.

30-Oct-19
I hear them grunt every year too. They are trying to locate their fawn. Deer are far more vocal than most people realize. Fawns also grunt, the volume is a lot lower than a bucks tending, or trailing grunt. On a calm day i would have to be within 30 yards to hear a doe grunt.

30-Oct-19
I also hear does grunt for their fawns every year. Clearly not as guttural as a buck but similar. Of course I have deer hanging out 20-30 yards from my porch eating fallen apples so I’m right with them a lot.

30-Oct-19
One time that I can recall, thought it was a buck, the grunt was so loud. No fawn with her that I saw. I shot at that doe and my arrow hit a branch almost before the fletching cleared the riser. Arrow hit the ground a foot or so in front of her. Stopped her from grunting, anyway.

30-Oct-19
Does grunt, Does bleat, fawns bleat, bucks grunt, bucks 'bawl', bucks snort wheeze, etc. .. Ive heard all this at one time or another ...... as stated, deer are more vocal than many think ... esp when not disturbed and acting naturally

30-Oct-19
I’ve heard lots of does grunt. And my son just got one on video grunting in TN. He texted me a video he took and You can hear her clear as day grunt. However, I have never ever ever ever ever heard them bleat.....at least never like The Can Call. Ever. And I’ve never called in a buck with that call. But I have grunted in lots of bucks.

30-Oct-19
More than bucks!

Whitetail Doe vocalize all the time and are prolly more agressive over then span of a year than any buck.

Never use a buck grunt ever! I have made or modified grunts to sound like doe i hear. Just a reed change.

Very lite grunts and learn to emphasize what the grunt is saying by how its delivered. Not hard once you’ve heard enough.

K~

• Sitka Gear