Jack Harris 03-Dec-19
Jack Harris 03-Dec-19
bighorn 03-Dec-19
glidingindian 03-Dec-19
gobbler 03-Dec-19
JohnMC 03-Dec-19
WausauDug 05-Dec-19
31-Oct-19
I would like to have a heated vest, looking for recommendations.

31-Oct-19
I have a volt heated vest, wear over my UA insulated under wear. Lasts about 8hours. Works amazing

31-Oct-19
Did a search for 'best heated vest' and came up with this -

https://archerytopic.com/best-heated-vest/

31-Oct-19
I bought the Pnuma this year-I used it last weekend and it was awesome! Battery lasted about 5 hours on low. I bought a second battery and am good to go for all day sits now.

31-Oct-19
If you already have Milwaukee, or Dewalt tools, look into getting one from them. I don't like to have multiple battery brands/ chargers around. I also like that they've been dealing in batteries forever, and trust that there will always be options for replacement batteries in the future.

31-Oct-19
I bought a Milwaukee last year.... loved it for the week it worked. I returned it to Home Depot and didn’t replace it. This week I’ve been missing it.

31-Oct-19

Rock's Link
https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/castle-rock-gerbing-heated-vest-size-xl/6979143497.html I have use this one and it works great.

31-Oct-19
I just bought the puma and used it for the first time the other day on a hike. I was not impressed at all. I was lucky to get across my upper back at most. I will say when I could feel the heat it was great and battery did last a long time. Otherwise I am not impressed at all with it.

31-Oct-19

Windlaker_1's Link
Last year I bought an Ororo vest.

Works great. Lasted about 4 hours on HIGH. Could have made it last longer on one of the two lower settings, but man, it was cold last gun season. I bought a backup battery, so I know have enough for an all day sit if needed.

Only downside is it takes overnight to charge the batteries.

31-Oct-19
I bought a Gerbing Gyde this fall. Seems to be very popular across other activities (not just hunting related sites). I too bought extra battery. I’ve only worn it a couple times. Overall I think I’m really gonna like it as the temps drop.

—Jim

31-Oct-19
I’ve been impressed with my Pnuma. I’ve got a Gerbing Vest as well that works great as well, but prefer the Pnuma. Both great products.

31-Oct-19
Check out Lenz vest, a German product. Pricey but may be the BMW of vests. Top technology with fast charge, long lasting batteries. Not enough reviews to get a good idea though. Usually get what you pay for and those Germans make quality products.

31-Oct-19
I've got the Gerbing Gyde as well, but unlike usual, I bought mine BEFORE Treeman. I bought TWO extra batteries, because I like to pull all dayers.

I like it. It works as expected. I had a previous Gerbing, and it worked for maybe 7 or 8 seasons before it crapped out.

31-Oct-19
You guys do know that using this technology is going to further restrict archery seasons in Colorado, right. ; )

I was tempted to buy one several years ago and a friend had one that he raved about. Then it quit halfway through the day, halfway through the season during the first season. Most failures seem to be broken wires and they are not repairable.

A clever person should make and sell adapters for the most popular tool batteries. I've got Milwaukee batteries and I'm not likely to sink another $200 plus into more batteries that will become useless when the vest quits.

31-Oct-19
I was almost afraid to post this topic, someone might say that technology doesn’t belong in the woods and I need to be cold to be a “real” hunter. LOL ambush. Thanks for the replies.

31-Oct-19
;-)

31-Oct-19
Just ordered a Lenz, will give report after using all next week here in Wis.

31-Oct-19

JohnMC's Link
The pnuma's are on sale on their website today. Was wondering about size. I am a large most of the time but sometimes a xl if I want it to fit loosely. You guys that have it do find fits true to size or tight?

31-Oct-19
I've lost all respect for anyone who uses a battery powered vest, or any electric-assist clothing at all. You are supposed to be cold when hunting in cold weather. If you can't handle it, stay inside and watch The View and sip hot cocoa in front of the fireplace. I heard the USFS is considering banning electric clothes, too. I do it the HARD way, the Jaquomo Way. No electric underpants for this guy!

31-Oct-19
Jaq, we’ve all seen the x-ray. You don’t need electric undies, you need a calf length, electric sock.

Maybe we could split a pair?

31-Oct-19
JohnMC...You'll want an XL. The Pnuma is pretty "snug".

31-Oct-19
Layering works better and it does not require batteries. Flex you large muscles when still hunting, buttocks - upper legs - back.

31-Oct-19
Thanks for spending my money guys!!! I just ordered a vest.

31-Oct-19
I used the Pnuma last year a lot. I was well pleased with it. They are made to fit tight against the skin.

31-Oct-19
I have an Ororo coat. I use it for ice fishing. Definitely nice to keep your back warm

31-Oct-19
Lou I heard you can hook them up to your E-bike to recharge.

31-Oct-19
I have an Arris from Amazon . Good battery life ,in expensive & one size fits all

01-Nov-19
I just took a peek at those Lenz vests. Now don’t get me wrong, buy whatever you want. But those things are higher than a cats back! What am I missing, what’s so good about them? I like my Gerbing, and maybe the Lenz are better but are they really 2.5X better? Enlighten me.

—jim

01-Nov-19
Jim, I think they have a massage option.

01-Nov-19
Well my Lenz came today in Womens instead of mens, sent it back and headed north so will try a vest next year. Got to head out hunting.

01-Nov-19
Had a Gerbing for many years, got it with two batteries, still works great but only really need it when it gets really cold but have used it when I just did not dress properly for the weather. I always have it as one of my base layers.

01-Nov-19
I’ve been running a Gerbing heated vest for about 5 years now. The only thing I feel left out on is the ebike. Ill have to give John a call. I’ve been wanting one anyway, so I guess it’s time.

01-Nov-19

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I hear they’re great in a rain storm ;-). Well, hell gif didn’t work. Take my word for it.....funny !

01-Nov-19
I got a Milwaukee jacket for a present last year. Didn’t really think I’d ever use it but wow was it awesome on my daughters late rifle elk hunt in November. The ATV ride in each morning was brutal but the jacket made it warm. It’s not something to pack in so I just left it on the quad for ride in/ride out.

02-Nov-19
Bought a pnuma, can’t wait to try it out. Thanks for all the recommendations.

02-Nov-19
I've been using a gerbing there last few years, believe that's who makes Cabela's and I have a Cabela's branded battery that fits it that had a remote control fob, I think it works pretty sweet!

04-Nov-19
Very interested in the Pnuma vest Can it be worn over your base layer or does it have to be next to skin ? I would prefer over base layer so the vest doesn’t get sweaty and have to be washed

04-Nov-19
Right or wrong, I wear my Pnuma over a light T-Shirt for the reasons you stated.

04-Nov-19
I've lost all respect for anyone who uses a battery powered vest, or any electric-assist clothing at all. You are supposed to be cold when hunting in cold weather. If you can't handle it, stay inside and watch The View and sip hot cocoa in front of the fireplace. I heard the USFS is considering banning electric clothes, too. I do it the HARD way, the Jaquomo Way. No electric underpants for this guy!

Says the guy who has an electric fat tire bike...wait I have one too.

04-Nov-19
I just bought a Pneuma vest. Still not sure what the USB port is for, maybe as an auxiliary charge for other devices?

04-Nov-19
10 degrees in Colorado is not nearly the same as 10 degrees in other parts of the USA.

04-Nov-19
^^^ And your point is...?

-20 wind chill in Colorado is not the same as -20 elsewhere with no wind.

05-Nov-19
I grabbed one off amazon. It seems fine.

05-Nov-19
Couple questions. 1. How big/heavy are the batteries? and, 2. Do you wear the vest closer to your skin or out further on your layers?

05-Nov-19
I wear my Gerbing over a couple layers. I generally wear a thin everyday merino t-shirt, and then a thick First Lite Merino shirt (their thickest undershirt, can't remember the name), then the vest. Then my Fanatic jacket.

I honestly haven't tried ditching the thicker merino. I think it works pretty well as I do it with my vest.

I don't really notice the batteries. I have 3. I keep them all in the vest pockets, and don't really notice the weight or bulk that way.

The new Gerbing Gyde I bought last year is thicker than my old Gerbing that crapped out. I really like it. But may have to try some of the others on here as well at some point

05-Nov-19
The battery on the pneuma i just received is half the size of a cigarette pack and only weighs a few ounces. Kota wears his over a thin base layer. I'm going to experiment this next month out on the plains because the hunting I do requires a lot of walking, then a lot of sitting in the cold.

05-Nov-19
I have only worn my Pnuma next to my skin, but will try it this weekend over a base layer. The USB port I believe turns the battery into an external charger if needed.

05-Nov-19
I wear mine over my first thin base layer. Then a medium insulation layer (sweatshirt type) then outer layer (coat). Mine is a Gerbing, and it’s actually a little more bulky than I had hoped/expected. I would like to see one with less insulation bulk personally. May look at some of the others here more closely, but overall pleased with what I have.

Batteries are quite small in mine. I honestly wouldn’t mind a option for a larger battery that lasted longer. But I have 3 like Bake, so it’s not a big issue.

—Jim

05-Nov-19
So we are saying

“All Pnuma for 5 hours?”

06-Nov-19
Second season using the Pnuma vest love it! It is essentially their base layer with carbon heating filiments. It is designed to be worn next to the skin. That being said, I wear it over a light merino base layer to keep it from getting funky. Layer over it to trap the heat.

Its so thin you hardly notice you have it on. I have learned to put it on even when I don't think I might need it, if you get chilled turn it on.

06-Nov-19
Cocoon man, Is it easy to get to the control to turn on the vest when you have your outer layers over it ?

06-Nov-19
Yes, there is a raised control button on your left chest that you can activate by pushing even through your layers. There are three levels of heat, I sometimes lose track of the sequence and have to pull back my collar to check where its at , color coded light. Usually you can tell the difference in heat settings.

06-Nov-19
Scheels started carrying them at least in the Fargo ND store.

06-Nov-19
Thanks Cocoon ,Might have to check one out If not now ,I can put on my Christmas list

06-Nov-19
What’s the charge time on the batteries for the Pnuma vest?

06-Nov-19
Xtra batteries cocoon man?

06-Nov-19
I have 4 batteries because I stay out for several days at a time during late October and November. That way I don't have to run the generator to charge up batteries. On low setting it runs around 5-6 hours. On medium 3.5 hrs. I don't know about high, I don't ever let it run on high very long its too hot. I would certainly get an extra battery.

Drop tine, I am not sure on battery charge time, I have never watched it that close, put it on charge ,red light comes on, light turns green when fully charged.Maybe someone else can chime in. Check Pnumas web page and the reviews might have info on charging time. The batteries have four indictor lights that show the charge status.

07-Nov-19

No Mercy's embedded Photo
No Mercy's embedded Photo
Got the Pnuma on medium. Staying comfortable-

08-Nov-19
Best place to buy one Pnuma that is Lewis

14-Nov-19
Question for you guys with multiple Pnuma batteries: Havr you found a variance in battery life from one battery to the next? I get 2 hours on medium, then its totally gone. The info says "approximately" 3 hours. That seems like a pretty big difference.

14-Nov-19
Got a Pnuma yesterday, will try out tomorrow.

14-Nov-19
Jaq-no, both mine last the same

14-Nov-19
Lewis-you can only get Pnuma at Scheels or direct from the company.

14-Nov-19
Jaq, I have 4 and have noticed a difference, I have them numbered and try to even out the use between them. I should log the usage and see which one is the weak battery. that being said I seldom run one long enough to totally drain it unless I am doing an all day sit.

I usually check new batteries before putting them in my trail cameras and on occasion find a bad one fresh from the package. So, I suppose a rechargeable lithium could have some variability in power.

14-Nov-19
Jaq, I have 4 and have noticed a difference, I have them numbered and try to even out the use between them. I should log the usage and see which one is the weak battery. that being said I seldom run one long enough to totally drain it unless I am doing an all day sit.

I usually check new batteries before putting them in my trail cameras and on occasion find a bad one fresh from the package. So, I suppose a rechargeable lithium could have some variability in power.

14-Nov-19
The other thing is how you choose your settings. When you turn your vest on the normal cycle will be it starts on the high setting and runs on high for 5 minutes and then cycles to a medium setting.

If you switch it from the high to the medium setting right away it will obviously last longer.

14-Nov-19
I’ve been using the Robax chemical back heaters for years now. (like giant hand warmers) They last about twelve hours and cost about two bucks each. When it gets down to fifteen or twenty below zero, I put a hand warmer in each shirt pocket too. They always work and don’t have to worry about recharging.

I got scared off paying two hundred bucks for a vest when so many had hit and miss luck with them. Quite a few reports of “dead zones” developing from broken connections.

If you just need heat for a week and don’t want to lay out the cash for a vest, give the back heaters a try. I have one snuggled up on my back right now :)

16-Nov-19
2 days use with my pnuma, really liking it.

16-Nov-19
Got 3 hr,6 min on medium

16-Nov-19
I got one off Amazon - skin tight, extremely warm, long usb -charged battery life... Awesome concept and I think it was like $80. Heaters neck to kidneys, and chest and belly too. Can wear so many less clothes. Put it over a single base layer.

18-Nov-19
Just bought a Pnuma for my wife. They are on sale for 25% off right now

18-Nov-19
Got a pnuma so far so good good luck and stay warm Lewis

18-Nov-19
Pachanga where did you find 25% off?

18-Nov-19
Pneuma offers 25% off on purchases over $200. The vest isn’t that much so you’ll have to add other stuff to your order.

18-Nov-19
There website currently says no minimums. Seems like they run a sale on and off most of the time.

21-Nov-19
Jack Harris, which one did you get from Amazon? I have a gift card so want to buy from Amazon. Thanks!

24-Nov-19
Pnuma.

I just got back from Montana. I wore this vest everyday for some very long sits.

I didn’t turn it on until I needed it and when I did, It worked fantastic. I only used the low setting which gave me about 4-5 hours of total use.

I have only one tip. Since there is no way to vent the vest by you neck ( no zipper ) you may want to pack it in and put it on after your settled.

I’m waiting for them to get more batteries so I can have a second one with me.

By far, the nicest addition for my all day sits.

Additionally, I wore it over a Kuiu base,.

This thread was a big influence on the purchase, thanks!!!!

03-Dec-19
Pnuma question. You guys that have purchased from them how was your experience with their customer service been? They offered 30% of orders of $200 or more until yesterday cyber Monday. So last week I wanted to order vest($150) and 2 batteries ($28 each) to get me over $200 to get discount. The batteries did not have a purchase icon to add to cart I guess on back-order. So I called them and voice mail said to email. So I emailed. Yesterday tried call in several times again with no luck. 5-6 days later no response on email. Sale is over. Would like to have one but not with one battery also wanted to take advantage of sale. Is this normal or have you all had better luck with them?

03-Dec-19
Jasper - sorry for late response. This is the one I got. I am 5-9” 187 lbs fairly athletic build but could stand to lose 15lbs. I got largest size but probably could have gone a size smaller because u want it right to your base later. Battery charges up easy. You could get a spare batter and easily go all day on high with a second pack. I got 4 hours on high already and it had a bit more to go. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W7YQKVH?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

03-Dec-19

Jack Harris's Link
Jasper here is link

03-Dec-19
They had them on sale for $142 a week or two ago

03-Dec-19
Pnuma with two batteries worn over lightest kuiu merino base. I am 5’9”, 180 with relatively athletic build and a large is snug but just right for me. I would say it is cut closer to what I consider a medium. So far medium power I get about 3.5 hours. Really cold in Kansas couple weeks back and I loved it. Agree that turning to medium early instead of letting high initial setting run should increase battery life. Not enough experience to say any difference in battery performance. Their customer service is great if you can get them on the phone. I talked to them before I ordered and the young lady was really nice, very helpful. Got the impression she WAS customer service and that some parent company had bought them and hadn’t figured out service yet. Would buy it again but have wondered if any of the many cheaper options were as good.

03-Dec-19
I bought one for my a Iowa bowhunt last month and got an extra battery. It was awesome

03-Dec-19
They emailed back today. Said to order and they would credit back the 30% without hitting the $200 min they had. But they said you can only pre order a extra battery when they are available for preorder. I guess I am going to order and hope I can get an extra battery sooner than later.Whole thing a little frustrating, but sounds like growing pains for a smaller company that has had success. I can respect that.

05-Dec-19
my brother and son both have the Volt. They work great and the battery lasts all day

• Sitka Gear