APauls 04-Nov-19
Grubby 04-Nov-19
Scott in Camo 05-Nov-19
12yards 05-Nov-19
Frostymug 05-Nov-19
kentuckbowhnter 05-Nov-19
12yards 06-Nov-19
31-Oct-19
I’m looking for a new lightweight stand for a more mobile approach to deer hunting. Which stands are worth checking out? The stand by seems to be lone wolf, anybody got an xop? Hawk? Are there really any other good options? Pros and cons?

31-Oct-19
This year is my first year doing hang and hunt. I picked up a lone wolf assault ii and hawk helium sticks and I have been very happy with both. I can’t speak for the other stands but I think the lone wolf is built to last.

31-Oct-19
Tree saddle and wild edge steps. Everything fits in a small backpack.

31-Oct-19
I have a saddle and helium sticks, I don’t think it’s a great option for late season

31-Oct-19
I have both LW and XOP and slightly prefer the XOP just because of the seat, and the center (seat) post also being cast Both work great. It is especially important not to have any metal tubing on a hang and hunt below freezing. Been hunting that way for about 8 years now.

31-Oct-19
Lone wolf climber is solid, quiet and safe IMHO. In 8 year I never had a single issue.

31-Oct-19
For climbing, I have used a lone wolf climber for about 18 years. No complaints.

For hang ons I have used heavy, cheaper steel stuff. But its not great for in and out the same hunt because of the weight. I actually have an OXP and a set of lone wolf sticks being delivered today. It's going to shave about 11-12 lbs off the steel set up. Will likely use them for a hunt this weekend. I'll let you know what I think afterward.

31-Oct-19
I’ve done a little more hang and hunt on a new property I got access to this year. I have been using Lone Wolf assault and 4 Lone Wolf steps. It’s a small property and pretty urban so I don’t want to leave stands. I am certainly no expert, but did shop around some and decided the Lone Wolf stuff was still the best out there in my opinion. The assault is a little lighter than the Alpha but for shortish evening sits it is plenty big/comfortable enough for me. For long all day type sits I prefer my Alpha with foot rests and a Hunt Comfort seat.

—Jim

31-Oct-19
Owner of 2 Lone Wolf Stands. They now stay in the truck. Use Millenium M7 Microlite and LW sticks. LW has never had a comfortable seat IMHO. Millenium is comfortable and not cold.

31-Oct-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I like my XOP climber. Can’t seem to buy them anymore tho

31-Oct-19
Like APauls I have both LW and XOP stand and sticks. Prefer the XOP for same reason as him, but you can purchase the thicker pad seat for the LW. XOP sticks have longer and better shaped steps IMO, I prefer them much more.

Good luck.

31-Oct-19

JL's Link
FWIW....the Chippewa Wedge-Loc stands are probably the easiest to set up with their innovative design. Their site says it can be rigged to a tree in 15 seconds.

31-Oct-19
X2 ^^^^. Getting the bracket hung then the stand is so much easier and their lightweight with a 25" seat is the cat`s meow.

31-Oct-19
Which XOP is everyone running?

31-Oct-19
For the meager weight difference I have the bigger stand in both XOP and LW. Like the LW alpha. I have 1 alpha and 2 XOP’s of the same version. I always grab the XOP first but every now and then I leave one behind thinking I may need that setup in the next couple days.

FWIW if I had to rebuy the sticks I’d buy XOP as well. Like their design better. But I have 6 sticks so I’m good.

I also use the LW hook to hang my XOP which you’d think wouldn’t work until you just tie a loop through the top of the XOP post and just hand that loop on the LW hook. Which I also prefer because the LW hook will “clink” when you hook it up to the LW stand. It is unavoidable.

31-Oct-19
Z Barebow x2. That little Millenium M7 Microlite is bad ass.

31-Oct-19
My set up is very similar to JTV's. Difference in mine is i still stack sticks on top of one another and use the tag end of the stand strap to tie my outer layers to the platform. I have 1 little bag that i'll attach to the package as well that has 1 water bottle, grunt call, rattle bag, book, can of chew, flashlight, and TP. For an all day sit, i'll stash snacks into zipped pockets of my outer layers and still tie them to the platform.

31-Oct-19
The Millennium Cam lock receiver system is really nice. I have the 150 but its too heavy for hang and hunt. For you that like the Wedge Lock you should look at the Cam Lock System.

31-Oct-19
Good info guys

Regardless of which stand are people using the straps that most come with? Or strapping to a different pack?

31-Oct-19
LW Assault hand climber 14.6#. I quit using sticks due to safety as it’s near impossible to avoid being detached from the tree at some point. A deer is not worth even the small risk to me. And this is the lightest setup by far and away. I got two compressed discs and a pacemaker that I must minimize strap pressure on.

31-Oct-19
Millenium

31-Oct-19
Screaming Eagle

31-Oct-19
I had no idea screaming Eagle was still in business

31-Oct-19
Those chippewa stands have a cool hanging design but man, itll cost well over $700 just to go 16' up.

31-Oct-19
I have two Chippewas and several Lone Wolfs. No complaints with either brand.

31-Oct-19
With a little Red Green'n.......you can re-design most any hang-on to attach the way Chippewa Wedge-Loc's do. I though of doing it myself.

31-Oct-19
If you can one ,The Windwalker. Hard to beat its weight ,great for the "hit it now" hunts.

31-Oct-19
I run both lone wolfs but I actually prefer the smaller assault over the alpha. Seems I’m not brush busting as much. Also seems I can cinch it tighter on the pack. I dunno I just like it. Man do I have a ton of hours in that stand

31-Oct-19
Have used lonewolfs since Andre first made them. Last couple I’ve bought have been XOPs because they’re better and cheaper

31-Oct-19
There’s an xop on its way here

31-Oct-19
I got the Lone Wolf Custom stand this year and 4 mini sticks. Yeah, I’m that dude who blew that much on a stand. Stake and burn me...

I love it. Light, quiet and stable. I still use the climber in situations, but love the versatility of the hang-on.

31-Oct-19
Panther bone—you spent your own money on something that you wanted and enjoy using that product that you spent your hard earned money on! Say it ain’t so!!!!!!

I really hope you are not using that stand on private land that you either bought with your own money or (heaven forbid) ground that you choose to lease with money you made!!!!!!

And I hope you aren’t using a compound bow. You sir will be the death of bowhunting....

—Jim

31-Oct-19
I also love the millennium ultra lite and LW sticks!

31-Oct-19
JTreeman,

I even drove my own mint condition 2006 TJ Rubicon to within 150 yards of the tree I hunted, and let 7 deer (3 bucks) walk.

I’m in total rebellion.

Lord save me...;0)

31-Oct-19
For the record everyone that’s posted has spent a pile of money on stands and sticks, it’s not an exclusive club

31-Oct-19
Millennium m7 micro-lite and 3 lone wolf sticks

01-Nov-19
The guys on thehuntingpublic.com have it down pat and they use alot of stuff from another company just don't remember name

01-Nov-19
The ultimate is the Windwalker like SteveD stated....I still have mine and treat it like gold. The Wedge Loc Ghost is a close 2nd.

01-Nov-19
I prefer the Lone Wolf Assault and up to 4 sticks. It has worked well for me for years.

01-Nov-19
You go with the Vanish, Grubby?

01-Nov-19
I did, if it’s too small I’ll have to get another

I might get a chance to use it next week if it gets here in time.

04-Nov-19
Im considering going with a saddle. Ive been watching the DRT method for using a Blake's hitch and rope to ascend. All you need is a throw rope, throw weight, 75' of climbing rope, carabiner, platform and a saddle harness. THAT'S light weight!

04-Nov-19
Snap, I've seen that method. Maybe it works in some parts of the country better than others, but I'd have a hard time finding the right kind of tree with a branch I could throw the rope over. Plus, that would be one hell of a workout to get me all sweated up!

I've been experimenting with a saddle this year and have my platform figured out but still trying to streamline my climbing method. I built some ultralight sticks with aiders but still want something more compact. I just ordered a set of WE steps to try.

04-Nov-19
Lone Wolf is solid with a nice sized platform. Worth the money

04-Nov-19
I have a saddle and along with my hawk sticks it’s a setup I want to use more but I doubt I’ll be spending much time in it this time of year. It really doesn’t seem conducive to cold weather. I know guys are doing it but I don’t think I will be.

04-Nov-19
Gonna wear my heater body suit and a saddle lol. Be like fighting myself out of a bag - what could go wrong?!

04-Nov-19
I don’t even like the hbs in A hang on, I love it in a ground blind though

05-Nov-19
I ordered a Millennium M-7 Microlite after a lot of research. Cheapest I found was online at Academy. I found a $20 off code and they are running a $25 rebate. So total was just under $190.

I've only set it up in the yard but seems it will be easy. 8.5 lbs.

05-Nov-19
I really like my LW Alpha and LW sticks. I'm starting to wonder if the hook option with this stand might be the easiest way to hunt it.

05-Nov-19
I've had the LW Alpha and LW sticks for several years. I have not sat in any of the other mentioned stands because I haven't needed to. I know some guys don't like the seat but I find it to be very comfortable. I have no trouble doing all day sits and the platform is huge. There are very few trees that I can't find a way to hang in. Any good setup will not be cheap by market standards. Good luck on your search.

05-Nov-19
i have used the wedge loc for many years and like it.

06-Nov-19
JTV, thanks for the info! The one question I had was whether you could hang it in a crooked tree and keep the stand straight. That was why I always used the batwing instead. I need to try the hook. I sometimes have problems hanging that puppy trying to reach around the tree holding the stand, especially bigger trees. Hope I can find the hook! Doh!

• Sitka Gear