DEMO-Bowhunter 04-Nov-19
APauls 04-Nov-19
Teeton 04-Nov-19
BULELK1 05-Nov-19
Cocoon Man 06-Nov-19
Cocoon Man 06-Nov-19
Sivart 06-Nov-19
31-Oct-19
I'm looking for a hand saw that will fit in my pack but is not junk. I have bent, busted, and damaged a few saws over the past years and I would like one that not be tossed out at the end of the year. What do you recommend?

31-Oct-19
Hard to beat a Wyoming Saw.

31-Oct-19
Gerber is great. They brand as their own and under promos as well. A bulletproof workhorse

31-Oct-19
Bahco Laplander is a great saw at a reasonable price

31-Oct-19
I've had great luck with my Hooyman it's been bulletproof for me.

31-Oct-19
What is the usage you are looking for? Trimmin shooting lanes for whitetail? Cutting bone?

31-Oct-19
I use it for trimming shooting lanes for trees stand hunting. I have bent more blades than I care to admit.

31-Oct-19

sdkhunter's Link
Wicked Tree saws are thicker than anything I’ve used in the past and look pretty nice... I’ve just seen them in the store - haven’t tried them out in the field...

31-Oct-19
Wicked is the way to go.

31-Oct-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
When wicked saw first came out the reviews were horrible about how it didn't cut worth a darn. Didn't buy for that reason and kept shopping. Glad I did cause the Corona saw is way cheaper and is one bad cutting saw. I wouldn't put it in the tough category but you don't need a touch saw if it cuts well.

31-Oct-19
A vote for Silky saws which are professional pruning saws. They cut fast and don't require extra pressure. They're all I've used for 15 years.

31-Oct-19
I use the above mentioned Corona as well as a Felco pruning saw in our nursery. Both work well.

31-Oct-19
I've used a Coghlan's Sierra Saw for years. Inexpensive and cuts well. It's the blade that makes the difference...any of those with the staggered very sharp teeth work far better than those with teeth like your carpenter hand saw.

31-Oct-19
I second Kevin Dill. Silky saws are great!

31-Oct-19
My opinion is the Corona listed above is the way to go. Great saw, fair price. The hooeyman is complete junk IMO. The Silky is probably better, but I’m not willing to pay for it. No personal experience, but I have heard mixed reviews on the Wicked stuff.

—Jim

31-Oct-19
Keep in mind that almost all these pruning saws only cut on the pull stroke. If you press the blade into the cut on the return (push) stroke it will eventually bind and then bend. A curved blade cuts more aggressively toward the end of the pull stroke. I personally prefer a straight blade for even cutting and strength.

31-Oct-19
I like the Corona's shown above. I have 3.

Silky may be great. I have a Silky extendable, and it CUTS. But I haven't sprung for the hand saw.

31-Oct-19
I’ve used a Gerber for years. The one I have has two blades you can switch out. One for bone and one for wood. It’s sharp and durable.

31-Oct-19
That little Corona saw is fantastic. Very sharp and cuts way better than the Hooyman saw I have. No comparison between those two as far as the cutting blade goes.

31-Oct-19
Silky is definitely a big "cut" above my Gerber and a couple of cheapy's. Like Kevin said, they only cut on the pull and they are not meant for thin stalks. Shears for the little stuff and saw for the rest. If you're cutting firewood or clearing trees from trails (where a chainsaw is not practical) then a two hand straight blade is much better. Silky makes those too.

31-Oct-19

SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
To the OP.

SILKY.

Don't waste your money on anything else!! I'd highly recommend a Silky Pocket boy 130 with medium teeth (or maybe large) - as shown in the picture. If you've never used a Silky saw.... you're missing out. If money was no issue I'd buy their professional pole saws..... they're unreal.

31-Oct-19
For something you can have in your pocket... the Silky Pocket Boy. I had a Gerber from about 15 years ago that was decent...anything newer not so much. If you want a fixed blade that takes a little more space (but maybe fits in your pack), the Silky Zubat.

31-Oct-19
I have had 2 Wicked saws, and IMO, not a big fan of them. They are well built, but the blades don’t have nearly wide enough of a kerf. They bind up too easily. Silky is a much better saw, and for the money, the Corona is a very good option. You might check out Stihl as well.

31-Oct-19
I will add to those backing Silky. That is the only saw allowed on my properties! Sharp, durable, smooth cutting.

31-Oct-19
When a guy with the handle "treefarm" has spoken with regard to what saw to run.... there should be no more questions :)

31-Oct-19
Here is another vote for Silky. I love my Silky Zubat.

31-Oct-19
Silky

01-Nov-19
Silky.

01-Nov-19
JTV, you've never used a Silky then. My only complaint with the Silky is everytime I unfold it either some clothes or some skin gets damaged by those friggin super sharp teeth! Can't treat it like an ordinary saw.

01-Nov-19
There is no comparison there's Silky and then everything else. Spend the $30.00 and see for yourself.

01-Nov-19
S.............I...............L...............K.................Y

01-Nov-19
One nice thing about Silky saws (and maybe some other brands) is the ability to buy replacement blades when one gets dull or damaged. Silky also sells a fine tooth blade which works well for cutting bone.

01-Nov-19
I use my teeth like a beaver

01-Nov-19
I've tried a few and hands down the Wyoming stands above the rest, including a few mentioned here. I have the smaller Wyoming. Although I haven't carried it in a few years, that's what will be in my pack if I carry one

01-Nov-19
I like my Gerber. Course and fine blades. And folds into a nice sheath. I keep it in my pack. Used it for years. Cuts through bones or limbs as I climb. Nice to have with me.

01-Nov-19
For a good saw, get a cable saw. They cost about $3 on the bay and I've used the first one I bought years ago on a bunch of deer legs and skull plates, tree limbs, brush etc... Still works GREAT. Packs up in an empty snuff can. I've got a couple Gerber's and a Corona or two laying around but, simply have no need for them anymore. They work great but, not as well as the cheapo cable saws.

Probably not as good as some of those mentioned above but, if I have a need that it won't cover, I've got thousands and thousands of dollars worth of chainsaws that will pick up the slack. :^) Seriously, if you are breaking the Gerber's and Corona's, you are doing as Kevin Dill pointed out. Pushing with pressure is a no no. Its only a cutter when you are pulling. Which ironically, is why the Cable saw is faster.

01-Nov-19
How bout best pole saw and bull head lopers ?

S......I.......L......K......Y

All Silky,all the time.

One of the best decisions I’ve made regarding hunting gear was when I switched from a STIHL pole saw and early stand prep to intra rut scouting and hanging using Silky pole saws and lopers.The best money I’ve ever spent on whitetails

01-Nov-19
I’m a fan of the old Sven Saw, but they do limit how large a limb/log you can tackle.

Light weight and good aggressive teeth with replaceable blades.

Assuming they still make them....

And +1 for a decent cable saw. Nothing cheaper or lighter, and they hold up well SO LONG AS you keep them STRAIGHT.

04-Nov-19

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Nice leather caring case too......
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Nice leather caring case too......
I've used this one for years.

Wood side and a bone side.

I just cleaned it up from using it on an Elk (muzzy cow) last week,

Good luck, Robb

04-Nov-19
As saddlereaper stated: Go to Silky saws and get the pocketboy. Will saw though anything...and I've had three wicked tree saws...Love my silky pocketboy. This stays with me anytime I go out.

04-Nov-19
Hey bulelk1 -Do they still make those?

04-Nov-19
Silky for me as well...

04-Nov-19
Never use my Hooyman. That wasn't a great spend.

04-Nov-19
Anothe vote for the corona. I've had 5 or 6 different saws over the years. This is the best I've had so far. Mostly cutting oak and hard maple. 3 years old still cuts like the first year.

05-Nov-19
Not sure if they still do or not.

Maybe google it??

Sorry,

Robb

06-Nov-19

06-Nov-19
Silky!

06-Nov-19
silky folding saw. It's the only thing that I own that I know without a doubt is the best available.

• Sitka Gear