Babine Guide 01-Apr-20
HuntnBigGame 02-Apr-20
HuntnBigGame 02-Apr-20
HuntnBigGame 02-Apr-20
CurveBow 05-Apr-20
01-Nov-19

Babine Guide's embedded Photo
I know it's a little early to start this thread but a couple days ago a client shot this wolf with me and I figured it's a perfect time to start. We probably won't start trapping with clients till January 1st unless we get someone who wants to start a trip Dec. 15th. There is 1 more opening in January and 1 in February too. We expanded our area that we were trapping last year for wolves and we quite successful in those areas so we are going to continue to trap those areas this year. In the next couple weeks I will start pre-baiting some of the sites.

01-Nov-19
A favorite thread every year!

01-Nov-19
Excellent, can't wait to follow this annual thread!

01-Nov-19
MAN... this is so on my bucket list!!!!

01-Nov-19
Awesome Lloyd...You guys are on my "short list" to schedule that trip sometime.

01-Nov-19
Will be following this , great thread every year!

01-Nov-19
^^^ except you “.. don’t have a thing to wear..”

Good luck on the wolves fellas! Are lynx holding up? Saw one way up top of Cronin trail in late September

01-Nov-19
There still seems to be a good number of lynx. The rabbit numbers seem to be down so the lynx numbers might drop in the next year or two if the rabbit numbers don't go up next year. There is a ton of mice this year though so the marten numbers should be good.

01-Nov-19
Great thread good luck Lewis

01-Nov-19
Do your Lynx eat a lot of mice also. Our Bobcats, even the big ones eat a lot of mice and wood rats

01-Nov-19
Always follow this one!

05-Nov-19
I have seen lynx hunt for mice before. They also eat lots of grouse and this year there was a big grouse hatch.

11-Nov-19

Here's another wolf that one of our moose hunter got yesterday. He also shot a moose a couple hours before he got the wolf. This wolf is from a new pack that moved in.

11-Nov-19
Did you photoshop his college graduation pic in....just kidding....your client takes a great pic for being in the bush. Can`t wait to see more pics.

23-Nov-19

Here's a picture of a wolf that one of our guides called in for a client during a moose hunt earlier this fall. If anyone is interested on going on a wolf hunt/trapline trip this winter we still have a couple opening. Jan. 22-27 and Feb. 1-6.

24-Nov-19
Prolly my fav thread of the year------->

I sure enjoy reading thru them over the years.

Good luck, Robb

24-Nov-19
Have you ever had an archer kill a wolf up there? If so, were they hunting over a carcass, a trail, by calling?

24-Nov-19

24-Nov-19
we have never killed one with archery equipment. It would be pretty tough to get done. The first wolf first wolf I shot I called into 35 yards and shot it with a rifle and I know Jack called one in while Ptarmigan hunting and shot it with a shotgun. Everything would have to line up perfect.

24-Nov-19
I look forward to this thread every year !

25-Nov-19
Me too. I can’t believe you have two openings. If I wasn’t booked on a coyote hunt I’d be all over that! Good luck!

26-Nov-19
Today I started pre baiting a couple wolf stations to get them starting to use the sights. 2 of the 3 sights had wolf tracks already at them. I seen 1 spot where there was a wolverine crossing and lots of lynx tracks today too. I won't set any snares till around Christmas time. We have a hydro crew staying at the lodge right now who are doing line clearing. They are using a helicopter to get to there sights and they came back with video of 7 wolves on the ice by one of our cabins that we normally set bait by and hunt out of. I wasn't going use that cabin this year but that changed my might. Tomorrow I'm going to going set some more bait and maybe hunt for a beaver for lynx bait.

26-Nov-19
I too enjoy this thread very much.

27-Nov-19
Great thread. Beautiful animals. Especially the black phase wolf in the snow.

29-Nov-19
That black wolf is crazy beautiful!!!

29-Nov-19
Any more pictures of that wolf

02-Dec-19
Sent my deposit and paperwork today. This thread has been my favorite for years and now my uncle and I are going together in February 2021. This South Dakota kid now at the age of 50 is going to check one off my bucket list. Thank you to the Bowsiters I reached out to for information about their trips.

22-Dec-19
More snow this year so far?

24-Dec-19
It's going to be an interesting winter. We haven't gotten much snow yet, hopefully it don't all come at once. We can still drive with the truck where we would normally be using snowmobiles. I will start setting snares out on the 28th. The first client flies in on Jan. 2.

24-Dec-19
You can kill them with Primitive bow ?

K~

24-Dec-19
Go get em Lloyd !!!

29-Dec-19

I started to set out snares today at one of the baits. I have 7 bait out and had wolves hit all of them in the last couple weeks. I'll set out snares at another station tomorrow. I have put out around 20,000 pounds of bait and probably have about that much more froze up.

29-Dec-19

29-Dec-19

29-Dec-19
one of the baits that is set up for shooting wolves. All the bait had been cleaned up since the last time I was here.

29-Dec-19

30-Dec-19
Getting closer! Can't wait to follow along with the first trappers.

30-Dec-19
I love seeing dead wolves and this thread never disappoints! Good luck to the trappers!

30-Dec-19
So you set up a bait site and then wait for the wolves to establish trails to the bait.... and then set snares on the trails ?? Or do you establish trails with snowshoes for the wolves to use. Excuse the newbie questions. Would that same setup work for coyotes ?? Are you using road kill as bait ?

31-Dec-19
We set up the baits and use trails that the wolves are using to set the snares on. We also snowshoe trails and set the snares on those trails. Normally later in the season the wolves get smarter and start making new trails to the bait, then we'll set on those trails then too. By the end of the season it's normal to have 40 plus snares out at a bait station. We use road kill, scraps from the butcher shops, guts from the slaughter house, ect……….. Whatever we can get. We get coyotes and foxes in the same set up.

31-Dec-19
Hope we see some Bowsiters at the Dallas Safari Club Show Jan 9-13 come by the booth and chat.

31-Dec-19

Today I went and set another snare station. This one is set on an old brushed in road with snares set on the trails on the sides where the wolves are coming into the bait. The wolves have been hitting this bait hard. The whole area is packed down with wolf tracks. I put 25 snares out, the next time I go back I'll put another 10 or so snares out. The other day I had another cancellation so the client who arrives on Thursday is the only one that is coming this winter. If anyone wants to do this trip this would be a good opportunity. Next year only has 2 openings left.

03-Jan-20

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
We had a fantastic trip with Babine in 2014. Lloyd provides an experience unlike any other I have had.

Don't want to hijack his thread, but I did have a few pics of snares around the bait site set on the edges of Babine Lake, just down the shoreline from the lodge.

Our trip was in February, it seemed he had almost any gap between bushes covered with snares along the edge and back into the bush several yards.

03-Jan-20

Today was Jim's first day. This is his 3rd trapping trip with me. Last year he got 4 grey wolves plus lots of other species. This trip he only had a black wolf on his list so we'll just concentrate on that. We finally got a big dump of snow overnight. Almost too much. It is needed though. We checked 2 wolf stations today. We got 2 wolves in 1 and 3 in the other, but guess what, no black. That's 9 grey wolves in a role for Jim.

03-Jan-20

Thanks for posting a few pictures Mark.

03-Jan-20

03-Jan-20

04-Jan-20
That thing is a beast! Congrats!

04-Jan-20
Nice. Get most of them.

06-Jan-20
The last couple days we spent time checking baits that we haven't set snares at yet. One of them we put out about half a dozen snares and another spot we put out 20. Last night we stayed at one of the cabins that the wolves were hitting the bait last week. There was no sign from the last couple days. We did see 2 lynx on the drive over to the cabin that we could have shot but Jim didn't get a lynx tag. Tomorrow we're going to try a different cabin that has been baited for a couple weeks now and set some snares there.

07-Jan-20
Great job as usual!

07-Jan-20
Exciting!

Luv this thread

Good luck, Robb

08-Jan-20
The Dallas Safari Club show starts tomorrow at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center! Come down and see us at our Babine Guide Outfitters booth #1455.

08-Jan-20

Last night we stayed in one of the outpost cabins and we checked a lynx set that we set out on the first day.

08-Jan-20

One of our guides come with us to the outpost cabin and he got a shot at a lynx on the road on the way there. I'm sure the gun was off because the lynx is still running.

08-Jan-20

No wolves at the cabin this morning. I think they have a kill somewhere else because there was no sign of them being around for a while. On our way back we checked a wolf station that we got 2 wolves in on the first day and we got this coyote there today.

12-Jan-20
Yesterday I went out and checked 2 wolf stations. The first one has had wolves hitting it all season but they have been alluding the snares so far. I put out more bait and 5 new snares on the new trails that they had made to the bait. The second station there was a singe wolf that had tracks on the outside of the snares but didn't go in. When I checked the snares I had a wolverine in one of the snares and looked like one other wolverine hanging around. I also went to one of the cabins to look for my phone that I lost but I didn't find it. I think it's under 3 feet of snow. When I got to the cabin there was a wolf lying out on the bait. Of course I didn't bring a rifle in on the snowmobile. I wasn't going to bait this cabin anymore because we have know more clients coming but after seeing all the wolf sign that showed up I went back out to the truck and brought more bait in.

13-Jan-20

13-Jan-20

The wolverine from yesterday
The wolverine from yesterday

14-Jan-20
I'm glad we don't have a trip this week because it's minus 40 this morning

14-Jan-20
Minus 40 doesn't sound fun but I sure wish I could be there checking the line with you. Please keep posting pics. Really enjoy following your season. Jeff

15-Jan-20
Brrrr!

19-Jan-20

Today Jen and I went out and checked 2 wolf stations and put out a bunch of more bait at one of the cabins. We ended up getting a wolverine and coyote at the 1st station.

19-Jan-20

19-Jan-20

The second snare station didn't have anything in it. After checking that we continued to the cabin to put out more bait there. When we got there we seen a lynx feeding on the bait. I got Jen to sneak around to one side of the bait where she could get a shot at the lynx. She made a perfect shot at the big tom. She wants to get it mounted and put it in her office. (tomorrow night we're going to cook a front should in the instant pot for dinner)

19-Jan-20

19-Jan-20
How tall is Jen? That Lynx is almost as big as she is.....

19-Jan-20
Jen is 5'4. It was a big cat, probably been eating on the wolf bait there for quite a while.

23-Jan-20
I'm looking at a wolf right now out of the window.

23-Jan-20
Pretty cool stuff. Wild country, I'd like to experience that...

26-Jan-20

Today I checked a couple more Wolf stations. In the first one there was a Lynx feeding on the bait. It stayed close the whole time I was fixing the snares. There was also a nice wolf in one of the snares too.

26-Jan-20

I also got a wolf in the second station. Tomorrow I'm going to go check a couple more Wolf stations and add more bait to the cabin site.

27-Jan-20
Yesterday I didn't get anything in the wolf stations but I did see another lynx on one of the wolf baits. I pulled those snares and will sett them back out in about 10 days. I baited everything up real good, added some bait to where I'm going to put out some wolverine and marten sets at the beginning of Feb. when we have 2 more clients coming.

06-Feb-20
Gary and Craig arrived just in time to have lunch and go put some more out where we're going to do our morning hunt. We walked the last 200 yards to the spot we would should from just in case there was a wolf on the bait. There was wolf tracks on the walk there. When we got to the bait and there was a coyote on it. I told Craig that he could take it if he wants. When he shot the coyote didn't drop. When we got back we checked his rifle on paper. It ended up being 6 inches high at 200 yards. That's a good reason to always check your rifle after traveling. (glad we practiced on a coyote and not a wolf)

07-Feb-20

There wasn't any wolves on the bait this morning, just a coyote. We decided to let it go in hopes that a wolf was around for tomorrow. We checked 2 wolf stations after breakfast. Nothing in the snares in the first one but we did see a lynx feeding on the bait. It snuck away on us at first but we waited for about a hour and it came back out before we left. Craig was able to get a shot at it.

07-Feb-20

In the second wolf station we ended up getting this coyote.

08-Feb-20

Today we didn't have any sets to check. We set out a few lynx and marten sets and put more bait out at one of the cabins. On the way home stopped at 2 spots and set out the call to see if any lynx were around. On the second spot after about 10 minutes we could see a lynx coming (500 yards away at the end of the straight stretch. It got to about 200 yards and cut off in the bush just about the time the batteries died in the call. We waited about 5 minutes and then we slowly made our way towards the call. When we got there Gary said there it is. The lynx was about 15 yards in the trees looking at the call. Gary made good shot straight in the chest.

08-Feb-20

08-Feb-20

Just before we got back to the lodge we seen a few ptarmigan fly up in front of the truck. They landed a couple hundred yards down the road. We found one of them and Craig was able get a shot on it with the 20 gauge. He made a perfect shot for a mount only hitting it with a couple pellets.

08-Feb-20
Good stuff...

10-Feb-20
Keep after em!

12-Feb-20

Last night we set up a few snares on a bait that we were hunting and got this fox in one of the snares. (big one) We also missed a big grey wolf this morning too. (The scope wasn't set to the right distance.)

12-Feb-20

Yesterday we got this big lynx in a wolf snare. We also seen a lynx on the road but the guy both already filled there lynx tag.

12-Feb-20

The other day we found this moose that was hit by a logging truck so we picked it up to put on our wolf bait.

12-Feb-20

When we stopped we seen a coyote that was about 150 yards away that must have been feeding on the moose. Craig laid across the snow bank and made the a good shot at a running coyote.

12-Feb-20
We have 3 baits that the wolves are hitting so the next few mornings we're going to try to shoot a wolf off them. We will also make sure all our lynx sets are pulled because the 15th is the last day of lynx season.

12-Feb-20
Really enjoy this thread! Looks like a great adventure

12-Feb-20
Do you see a decline in the number of wolves ? I have followed this thread for a few years and really enjoy it . Seems like you slay a bunch every year so just curious about the population.

14-Feb-20

At the start of the year I would have said that the wolf numbers were way down but in the last few days we have noticed a bunch of wolves hitting the baits. Now that we're all done with the trips the wolves have arrived. Might see if anyone wants to come in for just a wolf hunt. Today we finished pulling the lynx sets and got 2 more. Tomorrow is the last day of lynx season.

14-Feb-20

14-Feb-20

otter that we got the other day on a set that was under a bridge.

20-Feb-20

This morning in a snare. Now that all the clients are gone I'll try to get a few more wolves before the end of the season.

22-Feb-20

A little better day checking snares. The wolves seem to be moving in

22-Feb-20

22-Feb-20

22-Feb-20
Saving moose. One wolf at a time!

23-Feb-20
Absolutely loved seeing all these pictures and following along. Thank you for sharing your adventure.

27-Feb-20
I just booked for 1/3-1/8 2021. I am really looking for a wolverine. What a great adventure.

I have been watching this thread for years.

It was time to stop being a spectator.

Take care.

27-Feb-20
Good luck Eric! Will be looking forward to your reports.

—Jim

28-Feb-20
Not just moose that are being saved. In one of the mountains that we goat hunt in for years we came across where a pack of wolves had there den. It was close to where there was a nursery herd of goats that at one time we had counted 48 animals in it. That number started going down to 28 and then the group broke into small groups of 5-10 goats together. After about 10 years of trapping wolves at the base of the mountain in the winter the wolf denning site was no longer used. I don't know for sure if it was because we trapped that pack of wolves out or if it was because the food source was less there. In the last goat count conducted by the ministry on that mountain the goat numbers went up by 20% from the last survey.

28-Feb-20
You guys get ten thumbs up from this BC hunter!!

04-Mar-20

couple coyotes from last weekend.

05-Mar-20

a couple test trees
a couple test trees
This is in the area that we want to do the job and as you can see the young willows in the area have been over browsed
This is in the area that we want to do the job and as you can see the young willows in the area have been over browsed
This was taken a couple months after hinging. It shows how fast and thick the feed comes back after hinging
This was taken a couple months after hinging. It shows how fast and thick the feed comes back after hinging
One of the things we are doing that kind of goes with trapping wolves is putting together a willow hinging job. About 10 years ago we did a willow hinging job that was about 325 hectares. We are trying to get another one started for March of 2021 at least as big. The idea of willow hinging is to create more younger shoots of willow to grow up through the stump of an old fallen willow tree that isn't giving any feed to the moose anymore. If you hinge the willow then there will also have new shoots grow on the trunk of the fallen tree creating up to 10 times the feed.

05-Mar-20

Goat Guide's embedded Photo
Me and Crystal went out to our new outpost camp to build a new skinning and meat shed. We also have been keeping a bait pile out in front of the cabin and I was lucky enough to shoot this amazing wolf. It almost has a blue silver tinge to it. Looking at his colors and thick fur was a little overwhelming as I stared at him where he lay from the shot. This will be my first lifesize!!!!!

05-Mar-20

The next morning before I skinned it out. It took a while to skin because I would sit and look at it time to time. The canine teeth were wore halfway down, old male.

05-Mar-20
By far the prettiest wolf I’ve ever seen. Congratulations

05-Mar-20
Great Pics and That's sure is gonna be a nice Mount Congrats!!

05-Mar-20
Wowwwwww!!!!! Beautiful

05-Mar-20
Damn, that Silver Wolf is incredible!!

06-Mar-20
That is an amazing creature, a lifesize mount is definitely in order! Congrats

06-Mar-20
That's a great looking wolf. I never thought I would like another color more than black, but that one tops a black wolf any day.

06-Mar-20
My lord what a wolf

06-Mar-20
Wow! Beautiful wolf right there!

06-Mar-20
That is a good one.

06-Mar-20
Oh wow.....incredible wolf, congrats!!!

13-Mar-20

Back to working on the skinning shack at the new outpost camp and 2 more wolves came into the baitpile. One was a big black one which I missed with the first shot and hit this smaller one after three more shots. At least 2 off the shots should have been easy, checked the gun, it was me, getting wolf fever.

16-Mar-20
Love it! Strong work!!

18-Mar-20

This morning I shot this female wolf over the bait. The hair on it is still real prime

18-Mar-20
My gosh.........that blue/silver wolf is amazing!!!

22-Mar-20

I pulled 3 of the 6 wolf snare stations this weekend that I have out. I got 2 more wolves and 3 coyotes. One of the wolves was rubbed real bad on the back, I don't think I have ever seen one quite that bad. The rest of the body had great hair, must have had a bad itch.

22-Mar-20

22-Mar-20

one of the coyotes
one of the coyotes

25-Mar-20

A Lynx that's on the bait over at one of the cabins.

25-Mar-20

Otter infront of the lodge

26-Mar-20

Pulled the rest of the snares today and got 2 more wolves and 2 coyotes

01-Apr-20

The schools are still closed so the kid's and I stayed out at one of the cabins. This Lynx was on the.

01-Apr-20
Bait infront of the cabin.

01-Apr-20

March 31 is the last day that we're aloud to use snowmobiles in the use of supporting hunting in our area so we had use use the ranger with tracks to get to the cabin. Trapping wolves is closed but we can still hunt them.

02-Apr-20
Awesome trapping work, and Great Pics

02-Apr-20

02-Apr-20

05-Apr-20
Congratulations on your productive season!

• Sitka Gear