ahunter76 04-Nov-19
Adak Caribou 04-Nov-19
Adak Caribou 04-Nov-19
mn_archer 04-Nov-19
Adak Caribou 04-Nov-19
Nick Muche 04-Nov-19
Adak Caribou 07-Nov-19
02-Nov-19
We have departed Adak where we had three weeks of some very fun hunting and fishing. Yesterday we stopped at a remote Island with wild (feral) cows and put three bow hunters onshore for the day. The following photos are from one of the hunters that had a partner film his hunt with a phone. Since we are still on the boat with limited internet, the best I could do was screenshot from the video on the phone. This is the first time we have had the opportunity to hunt these animals with bows; it is a true challenge and not for beginners or the weak of heart. You'll see why in the next few photos.

02-Nov-19

Adak Caribou's embedded Photo
The bow shot.
The bow shot.
The bowhunter steps up into full view to get the bull to turn and leave, allowing for a shot. The bull decides to stand his ground and gives only a quartering shot.

02-Nov-19

The bullet hits!
The bullet hits!

Adak Caribou's Link
This is the bull's reaction. He decides to charge rather than run. The back-up shooter was the chosen target. You can see the instant the bullet hits the bull.

02-Nov-19

Crashing down.
Crashing down.

Adak Caribou's Link
The bull crashes down just feet from the back-up.

02-Nov-19

The dodge!
The dodge!
The back-up dodging out of the way.

02-Nov-19

The trophy!
The trophy!

Adak Caribou's Link
The end result is a nice trophy, one heck of an adrenaline rush, and a great story.

02-Nov-19
Not completely sure I can articulate why,.....but this looks like something necessary to my life plans...

02-Nov-19
The other two bowhunters did not get a bull but they do have stories. One hunter, myself, was charged and had a stampede I had to hide from. I was able to get within 65 yards of a big bull but for myself, that was too far. At another time I was within 40 yards of a herd of 40 but they were aware of my presence and charged by me, not allowing a good shot. The bull that did charge me caught me off guard. I had taken a chance and left my back-up shooter behind as I ran for a spot to try for a shot at a pinch point. The bull chased me for about 35 yards and my only hope to get away was to dive into a close-by pond. Luckily the bull turned before I deep-sixed myself into the icy cold water. The other bowhunter didn't have any super exciting events but had fun stocking them. These wild cows are unpredictable on what reaction you're going to get and are a challenge to hunt. Thanks for reading.

02-Nov-19
This hunt looks like a lot of fun. It seems like the potpourri - big game, small game, fishing, ferals of Alaska.

02-Nov-19
Wow wee. Looks exciting and I am sure that is good eating? What does a hunt like this cost?

02-Nov-19
I’m ready, let’s go!

—Jim

02-Nov-19
Range cattle are no joke!

Kinda sounds like fun.

Funny story; Rick Barbee once killed a beef bull with a high-poundage recurve and a rubber blunt. Took a couple days. His dad was not amused.

02-Nov-19

Hoist aboard
Hoist aboard
We were able to get enough crew to drag it whole to the beach, where we hooked onto it with the skiff and towed it out to the main boat. Hoisted it up and onboard for the processing.

02-Nov-19
Damn! That’s downright civilized!

02-Nov-19
Yes!

02-Nov-19
I want to so bad....

03-Nov-19
I keep hearing about this one...Incredible!

03-Nov-19
I would do this, but with big bore. Send info.

03-Nov-19
Sounds like a great time!

03-Nov-19
Most know we offer the Adak Caribou hunt but this feral cow hunt is done in a separate area, about three boat travel days from Adak. Nobody wants to travel those miles on a boat, so flying into the near village is the best option. We aren't really able to offer a combo caribou/cow. The feral cow hunt would be deep-sea fishing and cow hunting, with some sea duck hunting. This is a new offering and we would be willing to work with a group looking to try something new. We, myself and crew, have been doing it for a few years now but until recently it couldn't be offered to the public. It's something very different and from experience, it's a bit dangerous. The terrain makes the stalks difficult for archery but that is what I personally like, a good challenge. This is not exclusively an archery hunt, it can be done with your weapon of choice. I like the archery challenge but some of my crew and other folks we have taken, prefer a rifle. Muzzleloader would be a challenge as well.

03-Nov-19
I have not met an elk hunter that hasn’t wanted to put an arrow in a slow elk at one time or another. I’ve had more than one hunt ruined by them.

03-Nov-19
Be a fun trip with a bunch of guys with Sharpes Buffalo guns. BIG bore hunting with lots of lead and smoke!

03-Nov-19
I'm not sure I am going to be able to get through life without arrowing a feral cow. What village does one fly into for this?

I'm thinking the logistics of meat transport could be iffy.

I've been to most of the communities down there and I've never heard of this before. Wish I woulda known about this when I lived in Dutch Harbor!

04-Nov-19
Hunters would fly into the village of Sand Point from Anchorage. The village elders would appreciate some meat from those willing to share.

04-Nov-19
Sand Point? I've been there, a buddy used to be the chief of the Sand Point Police Department.

interesting community no doubt

04-Nov-19
They were fun to blunt...when I was a young crazy teen.

04-Nov-19
Worst butt whoopin my ole man ever gave me was for shooting the cows with blunts when I was 7 or 8 haha I’ll sure never forget it.

04-Nov-19
Can you set up a Cow hunt on the way TO Adak from Homer? That would be in early October?

04-Nov-19
I saw a show where guys were bowhunting them in Mexico. Was very Dangerous in the footage they showed.

04-Nov-19
We start the Adak Caribou hunts the first Saturday of October so if we were to do a feral cow hunt prior to Adak it would be late September or it would be late to the first part of November.

04-Nov-19

Here's the BEEF!
Here's the BEEF!
This is another one we were able to bring back to the boat whole. It was a couple of years ago. We got 650#'s of boneless processed meat.

04-Nov-19
how is the meat on those?

04-Nov-19
It is very good; it's lean grass-fed beef. My business partner's wife prefers these feral cows to all the other critters he brings home. This has been the driving factor (excuse) for us to stop and hunt them every year. :)

04-Nov-19
So did the bowhunter shoot it?

07-Nov-19
Nick, as stated in my first post, this was the first year we hunted these with bow.

• Sitka Gear