Contributors to this thread:
LKH 03-Nov-19
Franklin 03-Nov-19
Grey Ghost 03-Nov-19
drycreek 03-Nov-19
Grey Ghost 03-Nov-19
carcus 03-Nov-19
03-Nov-19
I live about 20 miles west of Lewistown, MT. Just watched a band of 5 branch antlered whitetails come down off the other side of the Ross Fork. Hanging together, not fighting. Have seen little activity. Some doe checking but no chasing.

I know it's different all over the country but I thought there would be more movement.

03-Nov-19
Sounds like "Brokeback Mountain" has hit your deer herd...lol

It feels like the classic "trickle rut" here in the Midwest....no real intense action going on. But some big deer are starting to be taken.

03-Nov-19
Here on the eastern plains of Colorado, the Mulie bachelor groups are starting to break up, and I'm seeing a few young bucks running with the does. The big boys aren't interested yet.

Matt

03-Nov-19
Grey Ghost, I think the big boys have been interested since their velvet peeled, but they have enough experience by now that they know the does are not interested yet. The little bucks are like teenagers and young men, they’re gonna run at it no matter what, the big ones are like thirty year old guys, they have a little more patience. Ain’t no need to get in a hurry ! ;-)

03-Nov-19
Yeah, I see the same pattern every year. The bachelor groups disperse in late Oct, and the older bucks seem to vanish for a few weeks. Not surprisingly, their disappearance coincides with the first eastern plains rifle season. At that time, the small bucks join up with groups of does that haven't had a buck with them all summer and fall. Around mid-Nov the big bucks realize it's time to get busy, and they suddenly appear with the doe groups. I can almost set my calendar by it.

The mulies definitely rut a little later than the whitetails in my area.

Matt

03-Nov-19
Its happening big time here in manitoba

• Sitka Gear