Jmorr 04-Nov-19
moosenelson 04-Nov-19
moosenelson 04-Nov-19
Ucsdryder 04-Nov-19
drycreek 04-Nov-19
SixLomaz 04-Nov-19
cnelk 04-Nov-19
03-Nov-19
I think a lot of people on here do something similar, but after seen so many backstraps/tenderloin recipes that were covered in bacon, marinated for hours, and seasoned with every concoction in the pantry I figured I’d post up a recipe my mom taught me a long time ago. My daughter turned 8 last week and her birthday dinner request was elk tenderloin and wild mushroom risotto.

So here it goes!

Step 1, bring steaks to room temperature, trim any dark spots, fat, or sinew of the steak. Immediately before you’re ready to cook them, rinse them well and pat them dry. If you are waiting for the sides to cook leave them on a cutting board, but don’t season them until you’re ready to cook, as the salt will suck the moisture out of the steaks!

03-Nov-19

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
Not much trimming needed on tenderloins!
Not much trimming needed on tenderloins!

03-Nov-19

Get your cast iron skill smoking hot. Use a high temp oil, canola oil or vegetable oil works well. Don’t use olive oil because it’ll burn.

Put 1.5 cups of all purpose flour in a gallon zip lock bag. Season the steaks on both sides with kosher salt (don’t be shy) and pepper. Drop all of the steaks in to the bag of flour, seal, and shake well! Return the steaks to a cutting board.

03-Nov-19

Pour in enough oil to cover the bottom, 2~3 tablespoons. It should start smoking immediately. Start putting in the steaks, carefully, using tongs. Start with the biggest steak and work your way to the smallest. If there’s a big difference in thickness, then give the smaller steaks some time to make sure they’re all done at the same time to the same doneness. Leave them for 2-3 minutes, still on high temp.

03-Nov-19

Flip them, if you have a hotter spot in your skillet move them around. After about 3 minutes, add a tablespoon of butter to the pan and shake it around really well. The most important thing is to NOT overcook them!

03-Nov-19

Let them rest for 4-5 minutes and that’s it! Simple and amazing!

03-Nov-19
And because kids are always more fun!

03-Nov-19

03-Nov-19

03-Nov-19
Looks good! Thanks for sharing!

03-Nov-19
Try Gluten free flour next time. Makes a much more crispy breading. Other then that, i cook quite a few just like that and they are indeed delicious.

03-Nov-19
Yum Yum Yum

03-Nov-19
You fried your tenderloin??

Dry rub, on the hot grill. Cook rare. Take off. Wrap in foil. Place in small cooler for ten minutes. Slice thin. OMG. Even your kids will love it.

03-Nov-19
Is that the back strap (Loin) or tender tenderloin ?? ... two different cuts of meat .....

03-Nov-19
I’m usually a medium rare on the grill guy, but I’ma definitely try this. Thanks for posting!

03-Nov-19
Looks good John!

03-Nov-19
Jtv, take your pick. Backstraps Or tenderloin. I cook both the same way.

Blood trail, I’ve cooked 100s of steaks on grill and I’m a big fan, but they don’t hold a candle to this method in my opinion.

Blood trail, give it a whirl.

03-Nov-19
Ok. I’ll fry me up some meat!

03-Nov-19
Looks like the little ones liked it. My wife cooks them the same way.

03-Nov-19
I had fried backstrap last night for supper. IMO, nothing beats it. My wife has perfected that in the many years we’ve been married, and the only beef we eat is the occasional roast or ribeye. Her chicken fried venison will make you slap yore pappy !

03-Nov-19
Dry creek, I haven’t bought a steak in about 5 years. Every once in a while I crave a ribeye cooked on the cast iron.

03-Nov-19
I'll do "Tender Loin" on the stove ... a little oil, seasoning and when cooking pour some Worcestershire sauce on them, dont tske 'em long a minute or two per side .. ..... Back Straps (Loin) I do on the grill, same for 'round steaks' which is from the ham area .... I would like to try the "loin" al la souse vide when I get one ..... all beef steaks are done on the grill, and I'll do a few every weekend thru the spring/summer/ and even in the winter .. NY Cut/Rib Eye/Porterhouse/T-Bone

03-Nov-19
So here is a question

How many deer / elk / other venison does one have to kill during the season to have venison backstrap/ tenderloins all year round. JTV. YOU KILL two deer a year? How long do those loins straps last?? Just curious

03-Nov-19
I shot an elk and a MD this year. I bet I have 30lbs in backstraps

03-Nov-19
go back and re-read that sentence again .... here, I'll put it here for you ... read CAREFULLY the first three words .... lol ......

"all beef steaks are done on the grill, and I'll do a few every weekend thru the spring/summer/ and even in the winter .. NY Cut/Rib Eye/Porterhouse/T-Bone" .....

I know you Texicans can read, I lived there for 4 years in the '80's ... they could read then anyways .... did you go to a democrat run school ?? .... lol ... ;0)

03-Nov-19
JTV. THE question was a simple onesie much venison do you need to get you through a year.

In YOUR case does 2 deer do it?

Reading comprehension not required LOMAO!

In my case 10 deer Whitetail barely covers it. 20 tenders and 20 backstraps. 2 of us plus various parties and guests through the year

03-Nov-19
yes, for me 2 are enough, I try to fill my two archery tags and then stop, I used to take more deer, filling bonus antlerless tags and urban tags, 3-7 a year, no more do I do that ... I do a lot of burger, and and actually prefer it because I use it in so much... chili, lasagna, meat loaf, tacos, spaghetti, burgers, etc .... of course I may not always get two, but one at least and then it depends on size ... this year, that 205 lber gave me quite a bit, but I still want to tag a big Doe and she will be done mostly in burger, except for the tender loins and 'loin' ... ....... RK, You need more than I do, heck, you have all those illegals to keep fed .... ;0)

03-Nov-19
My question is how did cohoythunter make “yum yum yum” move all over the screen?

03-Nov-19
I do all mine in butter on top of olive oil in cast iron. Salt and pepper. Eat em quick while the outside is hot and the inside is still cool. I throw the meat on before the butter can even melt. Delicious. I do sirloins that way too and rounds when I get low. I eat this meal 1-3 meals a week year round.

03-Nov-19
Or instead of flour try dusting them with Good Seasons Italian bread crumbs. Really good!

04-Nov-19
I do mine in bacon grease with a little fresh garlic added. Rare just like you do... Delicious!!

04-Nov-19
Excellent recipe. I have been eating similar for over fifty years. Only thing I do different is to fry it in lard. YUM YUM YUM!!

04-Nov-19
And just before they come off the grill, smear a dab of bacon grease or butter on top before covering with foil to rest.

04-Nov-19

04-Nov-19
How in the world do you still have tenderloin at the end of October?! I've been out and jones'n since the end of September.. Thanks for sharing

04-Nov-19
I butchered 4 moose and I'm out almost out! I make very few steaks tho

04-Nov-19
I butchered 4 moose and I'm out almost out! I make very few steaks tho

04-Nov-19
Jmorr, that tenderloin was from LAST years elk! I would have eaten it a long time ago, but then I’d have had to answer to my 8 year old daughter as to who ate her birthday tenderloin! =D

04-Nov-19
Y’all are making me hungry.......again !

04-Nov-19
I just cooked for lunch deer tenderloins using your recipe. Delicious meal. I cut them in 4 pieces and I used regular flour on 2 and soji flour on the other 2 just to see the difference. No difference in taste just a bit more crunchy with the soji flour. Side dish I used cous-cous. I washed everything down with a glass of heavy dry red wine from Georgia (the country). Thank you.

04-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Supper tonight - Fresh mule deer steaks - never been froze - 2 days aged.

• Sitka Gear