fishnride 06-Nov-19
Stekewood 06-Nov-19
midwest 06-Nov-19
Grubby 06-Nov-19
drycreek 06-Nov-19
BigOzzie 06-Nov-19
Michael 06-Nov-19
03-Nov-19
I had my first experience with blood tracking dogs this weekend and thought I would share. Friday night I shot a nice PA 8 pointer. It was darker than I thought so I didn't see where on his body I hit him. I waited until the next morning and found the arrow immediately at sun up. It had tallow for the first 6" and light blood to the neck. I found blood on his trail about 40 yards in and followed the few drops for another 40yds where I lost it. I recalled that United Blood Trackers had a member nearby so I left and called him to ask for help. He was there in about an hour and his dogs took up the trail quickly and found a little more blood further uphill. Then they stopped and the handler said that's what happens when they lose the scent/ decide that the deer is still alive. We call off the track. I walk through the area several more times looking for clues without finding anything. This evening he chased 6 does into the yard. He had a limp from the arrow hitting him low in the chest. The dogs were right, he was still alive. When legal and available use dogs to help tracking

03-Nov-19
Thanks for sharing. That’s a cool story. What kind of dogs was he working?

03-Nov-19
Awesome

Run a dog for years. 98% right most of the time !!

03-Nov-19

drycreek's embedded Photo
Yep, I agree wholeheartedly. This little fellow right here has found a few deer for me and a bunch of hogs. More hogs than deer because we don’t track big boar hogs at night. It might not be healthy ! Many times we’ve put him on the track twelve or fifteen hours later and he’s found the hog. The only two we’ve lost is when his dumbassed handler, (me), thought he knew better than Sarge. Both times the buzzards proved him right.

He found this lady’s buck the next morning about 9:00 am, but the yotes found him first.

04-Nov-19
Minnesota finally legalized tracking dogs.

There may have been a few guys using illegal blood tracking dogs in the past. ;)

04-Nov-19

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo
I only use Teckels (Standard European Dachshunds) but there are many great tracking breeds out there, I can’t imagine being without mine.

04-Nov-19
Send the one with the beard to me

04-Nov-19

altitude sick's embedded Photo
Arnie my old tracking dog. We put him down early this year.
altitude sick's embedded Photo
Arnie my old tracking dog. We put him down early this year.
The wire haired one is hilarious looking.

04-Nov-19
Drycreek - I'm curious as to what breed dog you have there...

04-Nov-19

bigswivle's embedded Photo
This guy does pretty good for me
bigswivle's embedded Photo
This guy does pretty good for me

04-Nov-19
All it takes is any dog that has an inquisitive nose. Used labs , Chesapeake and a cattle dog of some sort. Cattle dog spent 2 hours tracking with a drop of blood every 15 or so minutes.

04-Nov-19
Manitoba would still rather we let the coyotes track them

04-Nov-19

Olink, that a rough coat Jack Russell Terrier. His hair gets pretty long but we keep him clipped except for his face. In that pic, he needed trimming. He doesn’t like hogs, but he’s not as afraid of them as he should be. There’s a story with this pic, sometime I’ll put it on Bowsite. It’s nothing to do with archery, but it’s interesting and it was funny after it was over, but NOT while it was happening !

04-Nov-19
Jack Russell's are hard to beat . just let mine go and she barks when the dead game is found.

05-Nov-19

Grubby's embedded Photo
Grubby's embedded Photo
I’ve had a couple of jagdterriers, both were excellent in blood and absolutely fearless, neither lived a long life though.

05-Nov-19
I’ve heard good things about this jagterriers. Is it normal for them to have short lifespan or did you guys have some accidents?

What about a beagle? Anyone do any tracking with them?

05-Nov-19
Jagdterriers have very few self preservation skills. Phenomenal natural hunters and amazing drive. If you want to experience a true love hate relationship get a jagd!

05-Nov-19

olebuck's embedded Photo
olebuck's embedded Photo
I have a Jagdterrier, and she is the best dog! When she was young i had alot of trouble training her - absolutly the most hard headed dog i've ever trained. i use an alpha dog GPS / Training collar, and there is no way i could have trained her with out the shock collar. Now - that she has basic obedience training i never ever have to do follow up - she is locked in and always does what i ask - unless she jumps a live deer - i will have to pop her to call her off.

she has found quite a few deer in her 3 years - the first year she found over 30...

05-Nov-19
I used one once and it was the most amazing thing. Great story — the difference with mine and the OP was when the dog suddenly stopped, the handler said “get ready to shoot, the deer is within feet of us.” I then took the lead and the deer jumped up two steps later.

05-Nov-19

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Since we're posting pix of our blood trailing dogs, here's mine giving me a hug on my 60th birthday the other day...8^)

06-Nov-19
Some of the PH's in RSA were breeding beagles to Jack Russels. Not sure how it ever turned out, but sounded like a reasonable mix of nose and heart. But beagles definitely don't listen worth a crap!!

06-Nov-19

fishnride's embedded Photo
fishnride's embedded Photo
Well Ambush, Here’s what you get when you cross a Beagle and a Jack Russell. Griswold is 9 years old now and has many impressive tracks under his belt. Pretty awesome combo of relentless drive, both ground and air scenting and family dog. He does have that beagle bark though.

06-Nov-19

Stekewood's embedded Photo
Stekewood's embedded Photo
I’m a wirehaired dachshund fan and have three of them. This is my six month old Sherman with a deer he found yesterday almost 400 yards from where it was shot.

06-Nov-19
Dog threads ALWAYS make me smile!

06-Nov-19
Dammit now I’m shopping for a dachshund

06-Nov-19

The thing about a good dog is this. Unconditional love. If you give it, you get it back tenfold. Mine hates it when I leave the house without him. I can walk out the back at 3:00 pm to hunt, come back at 6:30 and you would think I’d been gone a year. If I don’t pet and talk to him before I take my boots off, I get growls :-)

Can’t beat that !

06-Nov-19
I crave the unconditional love, dogs are awesome. One of the funniest lines I heard maybe it was even on here, was if you want to know unconditional love lock you wife and dog in the trunk for an hour, which one is glad to see you when you open the trunk? Unconditional love

06-Nov-19

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Interesting this thread is here considering how my day went. I hit a buck at 10:40 this morning. Shot went high left. Not sure if I caught a twig or it was me. Anyway I thought I backstrapped him until he stood 100 yards from the tree and I could see the exit whole. It was in the middle of the body.

Until I got down I thought I was in the liver range. Until I seen the blood.

Buck ended up going 650 yards before I lost blood trail.

A guy from blood trackers and his dog are going to meet up with me soon to try and find the buck.

This was the blood 25 yards after the hit where he stood for about 30 seconds.

• Sitka Gear