Franklin 06-Nov-19
flatlander 06-Nov-19
Aspen Ghost 06-Nov-19
dg72a 07-Nov-19
Swampbuck 07-Nov-19
Lost Arra 07-Nov-19
krieger 07-Nov-19
05-Nov-19
Some of my first ladderstands are probably 8 years old and are left out year round.

Have you ever had a ladderstand fail (step come loose, rust through, etc...)?

05-Nov-19
Nope, but I only used two man ladders. I figured the extra strength was an asset, and it had enough room for me to set my pack on beside me. I did change the straps every two years regardless and always checked them each year for squirrel damage.

05-Nov-19
A big problem in this part of the country is ladderstand tubes filling with water then splitting when they freeze.

05-Nov-19
Yes i have had a number of my older ladder stands fail. Sounds like you did ok for leaving them out all year. I figure it's the price of doing business and replace them. Better safe than sorry.

05-Nov-19
I’m stilling using an old Grizzly ladder stand that I bought back in 1995.....in fact, I just sat in it this morning. It is still in good shape, but I was thinking while I was hunting today that it might be time to retire it.

05-Nov-19
Checked one of mine last week. The stand is still looking good but the creek came up and washed out the ladder,

05-Nov-19

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
I never had a ladder stand break but I did have one of my brand new stick ladders break while I was on it. Luckily my inner ninja kicked in and prevented a bad accident or cut. One of the rungs had a cold weld...not cool at all for a new stick.

05-Nov-19
I have never had any fail. I have a half dozen of so that must be close to 15 years old. I just change the straps that secure them to the tree every couple of years and they are good to go.

Changing the straps is obviously important but the bigger benefit when doing so is to adjust the stand to keep it from growing in to the tree.

05-Nov-19
I had the support bar between the ladder and tree to fall off the step while I was in the seat. The ladder bent towards the tree as I was climbing down. When it got done bending I was 45 degrees to the ground holding on the ladder. I had to get a set of climbing sticks to unhook the platform.

06-Nov-19
Millenniums only last about five years down here. Not buying anymore(which sucks cause they’re comfortable as hell)

06-Nov-19

bigswivle's embedded Photo
bigswivle's embedded Photo

06-Nov-19

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I've had some out for over 15yrs in the same spot...only one "fail"

Still hunt out of this'n

06-Nov-19
sitO, I don’t believe I could concentrate on hunting if I were sitting in that stand !

06-Nov-19
Ha, it's still solid bud...and I always "strap in"

06-Nov-19
These stands cost like $100....it`s a fairly cheap inexpensive product that was never meant to be left in the woods for years on end.

Would you leave your extension ladder out in the weather for years and then take it to a jobsite to work on? The builder would make you cut it in half and throw it in a dumpster. It`s crazy.

06-Nov-19
I made it half way up a ladder stand one morning. Then, where the two sections meet gave out, rusted away. The top part of the bottom section where I was at fell into the tree. Then, the bottom kicked out and I rode it all the way down.

Luckily, I walked away with bruised and cut up knuckles. Underwear had to be burned though. :)

06-Nov-19
I have a structural engineer certify mine each Summer...well...except the one

Glad you're ok Logan! Be more like Franklin

06-Nov-19
Knock on wood not yet. I have some that are 10+ years that are rusty but still holding together. Started spraying the newer ones (5yrs old) with rust oleum before assembly and they’re holding up very well. Most are from sportsman’s guide

06-Nov-19
I will bring mine to town periodically to repaint, seems to be working fine as some of them are over 10 years old and no rust other than small surface spots. Would be a royal pain in the rear bringing 10 stands back to town and storing them every year, than having to go put them all back up again.

06-Nov-19

Deerplotter's embedded Photo
My most recent ladder stand failure this fall. Sure glad I wasn’t in it.
Deerplotter's embedded Photo
My most recent ladder stand failure this fall. Sure glad I wasn’t in it.

06-Nov-19
I read an article a number of years ago and it was about loc ons but I’m sure it applies to ladderstands that said 5 years was probably the SAFE life of a stand due to metal fatigue and wear with micro fractures of the metal and especially screws.. there’s small fractures that can’t be seen. I know we all have ladderstands that are older than that. With most of them being made in China now its more of a concern to me. 200 dollars is cheap life insurance for replacement of older stands. It also means EVERYONE should wear a safety vest and have a descent system. A lifeline to hook to going up and coming down should be used too. I know everyone thinks a fall will never happen to them but it does happen to hunters every year

06-Nov-19
I can see the issue with dragging all stands back out every year. What I do is rotate out certain stands after a couple years and inspect, paint and preform maintenance. At least you`re preforming some safe guards....if not for yourself do it for your family and friends.

Putting a family member in a position to change your diapers for the rest of your life because you didn`t pull a stand isn`t fair to them.

06-Nov-19
Got several ladders left out year round and no failures yet. But also have a good nylon braid rope all the way with a climbing knot to hook my harness on so if any ladder failure or slip hopefully I'm covered. I figure the rope off Ebay cost maybe $15 for each stand but that's cheap insurance and cheaper than a wheelchair. Be Safe.

06-Nov-19
Where do you guys get replacement straps? I can't seem to find any from the stand manufacturers.

07-Nov-19
I have 10 ladder stands and I bring them in every year. During off season I go over them with a visual check and tighten bolts, etc. Repaint as needed. I actually enjoy putting back out in the spring, as locations can change.

07-Nov-19
AG, I just get mine from the big box stores. They’re cheap and I replace them every year. I had on pop on me years ago (use my gear rope for a temp tie down) now I keep one in my pack

07-Nov-19
I sat all morning in an old hang on stand this weekend that the tree strap just fell off as I was getting down. Squirrels and age.

The stand never moved because both the platform fork and seat fork had grown into the tree. I almost passed out thinking about what could have happened. I was hooked up to my safety line from the ground but it still could have been a real shocker.

07-Nov-19
Get one from Family Traditions. Made in the USA, galvanized and powder coated, not cheap chinese junk.

• Sitka Gear