Cheesehead Mike 30-May-22
TEmbry 30-May-22
Kurt 31-May-22
RT 31-May-22
Beendare 31-May-22
PECO2 06-Jun-22
DonVathome 06-Jun-22
07-Nov-19
So I have a question about empty pack weights.

I currently have a New Horn Hunter, Full Curl Pack System (I can still return it) it has the large 3000CI bag. Empty it weighs 7.25lbs. I just bought it for ($300+) to replace a much older one that I had. I really liked my older one, but it was time to replace it. They seem to fit me very well! I have packed out some very heavy loads with my older one of 90+ lbs.

So, I am looking at the new EXO K3 4800. It's right at 5.5lbs, but it's pricey, very pricey! About $700.00 when everything is said and done! Is the money really worth the <2lbs I will lose off the weight? I also really like the way the pack is set up! And I can probably use every break I can get from the weight loss, or at least my knees can! I have cut the weight of everything else I use or can think of... So is it worth it????

BTW, I Have tried KUIU, and I love the packs, but man they just don't fit me! Pain is the word when I wear them. I don't like the weight or configuration of most other packs... Sitka, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Outdoorsman etc.

Any thoughts about the cost difference and weight differential would be much appreciated! I can live with my Horn Hunter, just wondering if the "upgrade" is worth it.

I can afford the EXO, so the money isn't the issue, although it might sting a little:/

Thanks!!

07-Nov-19
Scar, If you can afford it. It’s worth it.

That’s why I use StoneGlacier it’s just a little lighter. Because it’s not carrying 80# 99% of the time.

It’s in daypack mode 99% of the time. So 2lbs add up.

07-Nov-19

JohnMC's Link
You could also tie 65 helium to your cheaper pack and they would take off the 1.75lbs. If you need a plan "B". See attached for calculations

07-Nov-19
Is there a backpacking/outfitter shop anywhere near you?

07-Nov-19
What altitude sick says. My Stone Glacier Kiowa 3200 comes in at 4.1 lbs. My shoulders, back, and hips thank me every day! It’s almost half the price of your EXO.

07-Nov-19
I’d go to Rokside and watch the classifieds. You’ll get any of these for $450-550. And yes the exo is worth every penny.

07-Nov-19
Yes, and I have looked at a whole S ton of packs! No EXO dealers though, so I will just have to order one if I decide to. I have Cabela's, Bass-Pro (I know), REI, Outdoorsman's and few others within easy driving distance from me!

07-Nov-19
WYBS,

I kind of looked at the SG as well, and I am just not sure it's really what I am looking for, I think! But I am sure it is an excellent pack! But how do you pack meat on it? do you completely remove the pack from the frame? For me, that's a deal breaker! I want to have some "pack" availability while I am packing out meat!

07-Nov-19
Stands, I understand your point, but I don't want the older EXO, it had features I didn't care for. The newer model seems to be a significant upgrade... Am I wrong in that assumption?

Thanks!

07-Nov-19
Scar, you say Kifaru is heavier then a listed 4800 CI EXO K3. Listed weight on a 24" Kifaru lite frame with a comparable woodsman bag is 4 lbs 14 ounces. Same frame with a 44 Mag is 5 pounds 5 ounces. How is the EXO lighter. My point being that so many people simply recite that the Kifaru systems are heavier without actually verifying it. Sees to me these weights are lighter and more affordable then the a comparable EXO. Just sayin'.

Buy what you want and like for sure. But, when you are dealing with pack weight, unless you have a flight limitation, fitting is the important thing. And, if the lighter fits and does the job better, then it is the best of both worlds. Just some food for thought. Good luck and God Bless

07-Nov-19
WV,

I didn't say it was necessarily the weight, but the configuration of the pack I want. I know some are lighter, and way cheaper. I am more concerned about the weight vs cost perspective... No doubt there are lighter and cheaper packs, they just don't do what I want them to, unless I am mistaken.

07-Nov-19
If someone offered you $400 to carry 4 rolls of quarters with you while hunting, would you say yes or no?

07-Nov-19
The 44 Mag and Duplex Frame from Kifaru is the slickest pack I’ve ever used. I love that setup.

I’d only spend the money that high end packs demand if I were using it a lot. Several lower priced options that don’t sacrifice on quality exist.

07-Nov-19
I’ve gone from internal frame backpacking pack (REI-type bag) to a Kifaru Crater to a SG 5900 in the last 3 years. Let’s just say I’m not switching from SG for year 4.

Scar, you asked about having pack availability while packing meat? This year I had my entire camp plus a boned out sheep and head packed, and if needed I probably could have gotten more in the bag (at 140# I’m not sure I would have taken it...). Kifaru was a good pack (I did find it heavy, but it was a 7000+ci bag on an older duplex) but I just couldn’t get it to fit me. If the Exo/Kifaru/Whatever doesn’t fit you as well as the horn hunter, save your money. If you can find one that fits you well its worth way more than the extra $400 you’ll pay.

07-Nov-19
Yep another vote for stone glacier.

07-Nov-19
My Stone Glacier;

top straps come off at the lifters, loosen lower straps, open load shelf and load meat, re attach and tighten straps, pack out.

08-Nov-19

altitude sick's embedded Photo
Scar, the straps are loosened. And the meat put on the load shelf between bag and frame. Then tighten back up.

08-Nov-19
After reading this and a some great PM (THANKS!) I am goin to take another look at the SG. I guess I overlooked the meat loading on the SG... My Bad! I've looked at so many packs it gave me a headache:)

If necessary, I might just order both and see which one fits the best. I have time, so I might also just wait and see if I can find a used one.

Thanks for all the in-put and suggestions, it's very appreciated!

Always good suggestions and a great group of guys on here!!

08-Nov-19
I have a Horn Hunter Full Curl and don't mind the weight but don't like the small 3,000 cu. in. main pack. To get more capacity you have to use the day pack on the outside. I try to put light things in the day pack but still don't like the balance after that weight is added to the back.

I bought a Kuiu Ultra 7200, more for capacity but the lower weight is nice. If you want to return the Full Curl I could sell you a good used Full Curl with meat bags for half of what you paid for the new one.

08-Nov-19
Ken, I might just do that if I decide to keep it... Can you PM me your info???

Thanks for the offer, I am always happy to save some money!

12-Nov-19
I fly a lot so weight is critical because of airline baggage requirements. A 7 pound plus pack simply wasn't worth it. I have the light kui expander style pack. Bought it barely used. Well worth it.

12-Nov-19
I'm a huge Stone Glacier fan. I have a 5900 on the older XCurve Frame and a 6900 Talus on the new XCurve Frame. I also have a Kifaru for those times when I know I'm going to be hauling a HEAVY load. ie. moose hunting.

One of the best things about SG besides their weight is how they fold up into daypack mode. A 6900 ci pack "looks" and "feels" like a 3500 ci pack while in daypack mode. I like to put the meat in the pack when I can and usually carry their "access bag" in my pack with my rain gear and puffy and just strap it to the outside of the pack after a kill. If I have too much for that to work, I simply use the load shelf. Very versatile system. While not as comfortable for me as a Kifaru with 80 plus lbs., I just usually "embrace the suck" for the pack out.

12-Nov-19

320 bull's embedded Photo
320 bull's embedded Photo
SG here and couldn't be happier. I use it for everything

12-Nov-19
So I am going to try the mystery ranch Metcalf. I think it's a good mix for what I want. If it doesn't fit right, I will return it and check out the SG. I haven't decided in which SG I will try, I will cross that bridge if/ when I get there.

Thanks for all the info and feedback, it's much appreciated!!

12-Nov-19
Scar - you can get 10% off on BlackOvis with the discount code Rokslide10. You're a day late, though. BlackOvis just had 20% off all Mystery Ranch from 11/8 - 11/11.

15-Nov-19
I got a 10% discount, so it's cool:) thanks though! 20 would have been awesome!

15-Nov-19
FWIW, every major pack maker today offers a meat shelf type offering. The all break away from the frame to create a wedge with a sewn in meat shelf, one attached to the frame, or one created by bottom compression. There is nothing new one company is doing different in that arena.

19-Nov-19

walleyes's embedded Photo
walleyes's embedded Photo
I love my k3. 82 lbs of deboned deer and 30 lbs of blind hunting stuff. Not saying it didn’t suck but it was awesome suck ??

19-Nov-19
And the meat fits between the bag and the frame so there was no way to get the stuff in my bag bloody just like a SG.

20-Nov-19

Scar, Exo packs go on sale the 25th

20-Nov-19
Thanks!

I will see what they sell for, I bought a MR Metcalf, but I am not completely sold on it. I still have a week or two to return it.

20-Nov-19
For Exo its just a hipbelt pouch and stash pocket for free when you buy the new K3 from Nov. 25th - Dec 1st. The only time Ive seen them do a sale is on the blemish packs and thats pretty rare.

20-Nov-19

Looks like all K2s are $399

30-May-22
I have a one year old Exo 4800 in multi-cam with 2 side pockets and a lid I’d like to sell. It’s got a medium hip belt and it’s the tall frame. I used it for one week last fall. PM me if interested. Thanks!

30-May-22
Empty Barney’s frame for strictly weight hauling (100 lbs of bear bait at a time or a buddy calling to come help pack a moose). Kifaru for everything else. I don’t have experience with exo packs but I can say IMO Kifaru are far tougher than Stone Glacier (maybe up north we are too rough on gear but SG seems over engineered to me. Seemingly 500 straps going every which way and my buddy snapped the frame on his hauling meat on one of our trips. They stood behind it and replaced it no problem but it was enough for me to stick with Kifaru for life.

30-May-22
Hopefully he figured it out by now since this thread is over 2 years old...

30-May-22
Haha gets me every time, idk how these old threads are even dredged up in the first place

31-May-22
https://youtu.be/ZuTKzIr8kS0

There is a decent review on 10 - 14 day trip packs at the above. link.

31-May-22
If anyone is interested, Camofire has Mystery Ranch packs on sale today.

31-May-22
Exo fan here…great pack.

06-Jun-22
That is a tough call, a few hundred bucks to save 1.75 pounds. I believe you will be happy every time you put that pack on and not regret the purchase.

06-Jun-22
I use a kiui ultra 3000. I wish it had a small compartment somewhere but other then that it is awesome. Pack weight is silly AND with airlines getting strict and many at 40 pounds per bag weight got more critical and I was willing to spend more. I am willing to happily spend $200 more for gear to save 1 pound. I use this pack as a daypack so it save even more weight because I do not bring a daypack anymore. It weighs somewhere around 3#, maybe less. I will never get another pack that weighs anywhere near 4#

• Sitka Gear