Michael 08-Nov-19
drycreek 08-Nov-19
TrapperKayak 08-Nov-19
wildwilderness 08-Nov-19
WI Shedhead 08-Nov-19
Glunt@work 08-Nov-19
Luvtotrap 09-Nov-19
08-Nov-19
Farmers are way behind here in central Minnesota. The farm I hunt on still has standing corn along with the surrounding farms. It's been a horrible year trying to put some meat in the freezer. Deer sightings are very, very few and far between. To make matters worse the coyote population seems to have exploded. All the pictures on my cameras are of turkeys and coyotes. So where do I go to learn to trap coyotes? Or do I get one of those boom boxed that has all kinds of calls loaded into it to attract coyotes to with gun range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

08-Nov-19
Same thing here in OK where I live. Trapping can be a very slow process and they are quick learners. I found that they were suckers for rabbit calls and could easily be baited with racoon/armidillo road kills. During the last two years I have cut into the local population but they reproduce like rabbits. There is no season on them and the hides are practically worthless. They make good practice for my 6.5 Creed!

08-Nov-19
Just do as the wife and I did a few years ago. Move to a state with a better deer herd.

08-Nov-19
The more coyotes you kill, the more they make. But, putting a lttle temporary dent in the population is a lot of fun. Aside from an intense poison, aerial shooting and trapping, you cant really have a big effect. Even with all that its pretty temporary.

08-Nov-19
Coyotes everywhere I hunt, and they kill a lot of deer but it doesn't seem to dent the population. One thing it does is make the deer very wary though, and hunting them is a real challenge here. They are spooky. The corn is about the only place I get close enough for shots.

08-Nov-19
I read a recent article that suggested hunting the standing corn in various ways, as the deer (bucks especially) are making use of it as cover and food. You may have a captive audience on your hands, so to speak. Good luck with the deer and the coyotes.

08-Nov-19
Subscribe to Randy Anderson "Calling All Coyotes" on Facebook to learn about calling sequences. Good trappers can get a ton of coyotes vs shooting them. But coyotes are one of the toughest animals to trap. Once you get some snow depth, snares are a good equalizer. But again, you need to know what you are doing so you don't catch non-target animals. Bullets are cheap! However you kill coyotes, don't worry God will make more of them!

08-Nov-19
Get on the downwind side of the corn and make sure you can shoot into the corn. Bucks will scent check those standing corn fields.

08-Nov-19
I consider standing corn at this time of year a great thing.

08-Nov-19
Standing corn isn’t all that bad. I do just the opposite of blue buck. I hunt the upwind side of the corn but downwind side of the timber.

As far as the coyotes. It is very very hard to call a Minnesota coyote in the daylight. Most good Minnesota coyote callers are calling at night with a full moon and snow on the ground.

I know when I first started calling I educated more coyotes then I shot. Good set ups are critical.

08-Nov-19
Plenty of YouTube vids on trapping yotes. Good advice from zbarebow too

08-Nov-19

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
Some of the rows are really wide in this lot I hunt.

08-Nov-19
There is no way shooting will make a difference in your coyote population, and can disturb deer.

My friend started trapping last year on his deer lease. Said it was a lot easier to learn than he thought. Now that Youtube can teach you everything not much excuse but time. On his 1000 acre lease in AR he trapped 40 coyotes, 8 bobcats, and a few foxes last winter. I doubt you would come close to that trying to call and shoot them.

This year he plans to focus more trapping time in the spring to get the numbers down when the fawns drop.

08-Nov-19
Dry land cable restraints at crossings and frozen cattail ponds on runs are very effective

08-Nov-19
Coyote Fever by Milligan Brand has a ton of good trapping info. Ray has been there and done that. He was a full time trapper at one point and very successful.

09-Nov-19
If your interested in trapping trapperman.com has a vast wealth of knowledge both in archives and people .

• Sitka Gear