TD 13-Nov-19
Starvingpilgrim 17-Nov-19
Two Feathers 17-Nov-19
Bou'bound 17-Nov-19
Two Feathers 20-Nov-19
Deerbun 22-Mar-20
Ogoki 23-Mar-20
08-Nov-19
I am going to purchase either the Cabelas Carnivore 1.0 hp or 1.5 hp grinder. Question; is it worth the extra $150 for the 1.5 hp grinder? I will be grinding about 3 deer per year and will make it available for my neighbors to borrow, so may be used on a total of 6 - 8 deer per year. I may also butcher one of our hogs every fall, but right now I am sending those to the butcher.

For those who use the 1.0 hp grinder, has it been meeting your needs or has anyone regretted not getting the 1.5? I have always heard go bigger on grinders, but I guess with that mindset there is always a bigger grinder.

08-Nov-19
I have a 1 hp.... I have no complaints and its good for what I do, but id imagine the 1.5 might be stronger/faster... I only do 2 deer a year or so and not at one time......

08-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I have an LEM 575watt #8 and it does everything I ask it to. Deer / elk / sausage. I did 35lbs of burger on Monday That 1hp would be good for what you described

08-Nov-19
When it comes to "tools" always buy the more powerful one if you can afford it. Especially if you are lending it out....you have no control as to how they are going to use it.

Nothing worse than getting something back and hearing a "I`m sorry but....."

08-Nov-19
What’s the smallest? 3/4hp? That’s what I have. I think the 1hp is plenty if you’re set on 1hp minimum. I butcher more than you in a year and I feel like I can barely feed mine fast enough. When we’re doing a whole moose, my wife is just feeding the grinder pretty well full time

08-Nov-19

Dusktildawn's embedded Photo
Dusktildawn's embedded Photo
Bigger is better IMO. 1ho should do what you need but more power is less hassle. If you do a good job trimming meat that will also speed up the process. Too much silver skin on meat tends to clog up weaker models pretty quick. I can grind up 30lbs of scraps in less than 10 min with no clogs.

08-Nov-19
I've used the 1.0 on a number of steers, elk, and deer. The thing amazes me every time I use it how powerful it is. I can't imagine what the 1.5 is like.

I'm sure the 1.5 is another level, but knowing what I know I would buy another 1.0 if it was $150 difference. That's a 30% price increase over the 1.0.

08-Nov-19
I have the 1hp and it is more than enough to do what you have described.

08-Nov-19
I have had the 1hp Cabela's for 10 years and it has been bullet proof, and I do about 5 deer every season. The one item that I have liked to most for mine is the foot pedal for turning on and off, would not go without it.

08-Nov-19
I have a 3/4 hp cabelas. works fine for me. Probably grind about 4 deer worth of burger and never had a problem.

08-Nov-19
I bought a 3/4 hp grinder from Cabelas over 20 years ago. It has been more than enough for me. Has ground up plenty of elk and deer as well as moose and bison.

I usually butcher a couple of elk and deer a year. Make sausage and burger. Over 100# a year thru it, easily.

1.5 hp would be hard to keep up with!

08-Nov-19
I also have the 1.0 commercial grade grinder, and can't imagine needed anything bigger.

08-Nov-19
I have the LEM #5 with the .35HP motor. It does everything a hunter could want. It has done deer elk and antelope. My friend (now on to the happy hunting grounds) had the Lem #22 1HP and was over kill really for doing 2 or 3 deer or an elk. If you are grinding once a week even a 1HP would be plenty. My wife and I watched some folks dogs while they went on vacation around the world. They fed them chicken thighs with there dry food a s a supplement. We were supposed to cook them and then debone them. I got out my grinder and ground the thighs bone and all and mixed that in their food. My grinder didn't slow at all running them through and grinding the bones up for that extra mineral normally wasted in the garbage for their pooches. A 1HP is all you'll need!

08-Nov-19
The 1.5hp is a huge #32 grinder and would be overkill you could feed that thing with a small dozer! My Dad used a #22 for years & It was a full time job keeping it fed. Probably a good choice though. I went with the .75 HP #12 LEM $399 and it is all I’ve ever needed or wanted. 3-4 Deer and 1 Elk per year if get lucky.

08-Nov-19
Pay attention to the gears inside. Make sure they are metal and not plastic. Lower power grinders usually have plastic gears.

08-Nov-19
You’ll never wish you had a smaller one, but you might wish you had a bigger one. Buy the biggest you can afford. You’ll probably use it for the next 2/3/4 decades. The 150 amortized over 3 decades isn’t much.

08-Nov-19
I have a horse and a half you guys are missing one point how MUCH friggin fun it is throw anything in a gnashing monster like that...elk shanks grrrrrr.... burp more please

09-Nov-19
I have an older (before carnivore) Cabelas 3/4 horsepower grinder. I've used it to process 6-15 deer, pigs etc. every year for the last decade, works awesome. I can double grind 50 pounds of frozen meat in no time. But....you won't complain with the bigger grinder IMO. I'll probably buy a bigger one when this grinder eventually fails, assuming it does.

09-Nov-19
My 10 year old 3/4 hp Cabelas grinder is awesome. Grinds quickly and is still ticking along. It replaced a great big old grinder that weighed 125#s that I used for 30 yrs in CO. It is a way better grinder than the big old unit was that was likely as old as me.

11-Nov-19
Bigger is only better until you have to store it or haul it. I have a monster and dislike dealing with it unless its running and I am feeding it. Everything else about it stinks

11-Nov-19
I have a 1hp and it eats everything as fast as you can go

11-Nov-19
The 1hp grinder from Cabelas works great for me. The power is not why I picked it, its the #22 plate size. The smaller plates are too small, the #32 is giant, you really need to have a stack of meet to want to use a #32. Storing a 1.5 or larger beast can be a chore also. I have a small Kitchen-Aid attachment for grinding 5-10# and the 1hp comes out for larger batches. I grind about 6 deer a year and never had considered getting anything bigger. The bigger the grinder the heavier it is and the larger pieces are to clean. 3/4 -1hp is perfect. Spend the extra $ on a foot pedal, different size hole plates, a few nice meat tubs if you don't have some already, maybe a burger patty attachment. Last year I made 75 burger patties in about 40 min from 25# of meat. I find it takes longer to setup, break down and clean the equipment than to grind the meat with the 1hp. Good luck with your selection.

11-Nov-19
22 neck is as big as I would go for a home set up. 1 hp is generally fine.

12-Nov-19
I went with the 1.0 hp. I ground 45 lbs on Friday and the first grind went great, maybe 10 minutes with my kids helping (slowing me down). The second grind was a different story. I initially tried to grind from the medium plate directly into game bags. This method would have taken 30 minutes per pound. I ended up taking the tube off and grinding straight into my tub.

Saturday I watched a few videos and saw the corkscrew attachment used for sausage stuffing. I ran my meat through the grinder a third time without the grinding plate or knife and the corkscrew worked pretty good. Maybe 20 minutes to bag 45 one lb. bags.

In the end I like the grinder. I wasn't too crazy about running everything through three times. I think I will try and get a sausage stuffer down the road. If anyone has pointers on improving my system, I am all ears.

12-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
After the double grind, I put the burger meat into plastic bags - Weight typically 1lb or 2lb - remove all air, twist and then wrap with freezer paper.

I’ve had meat keep a couple years this way.

12-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

12-Nov-19

JL's Link
Seeing as how we're talking grinders, this is a FWIW public service thought for those who might be interested about keeping your grinder blades and plates sharp/flush. I've done it the sandpaper way before but these sharpening wheels in the vid are pretty slick. I attached a link where you can get the correct size for your grinder. It goes without saying too much that sharp blades makes it easy on your grinder.

13-Nov-19
The 1hp is plenty big. We have had the 1hp Cabela's grinder for several years now. We butcher 5 or 6 deer a year and that's usually at one time. Plus we make 125lbs of summer sausage once a year. The 1hp grinder will take it as fast as we can feed it.

2 years ago we purchased the big Cabela's mixer that can attach to it. That thing is awesome!!!!

13-Nov-19
The 3/4 hp grinds about as fast as I can feed it. I think it weighs 30 or 40 lbs! Can't imagine what twice the power would do (or weigh).... I think it would take longer to clean it up than to grind with it.

Me personally..... once Coach green lighted the budget I'd take the money saved by not getting the 1.5 and pick up a good sized stuffer, burger press, etc. IMO that will get you farther down the DIY meat packing gig than an oversized grinder will....

17-Nov-19

Starvingpilgrim 's embedded Photo
Starvingpilgrim 's embedded Photo
This is 1 hp! its works good, I would not go bigger if it needs to be stored, meaning moved around alot, it's pretty heavy

17-Nov-19
I watched the video on sharpening stones and went to Fleet Farm to see if they had any. They did not but they did carry new plates and knives and will go that route. The grinder I have is old about 60 years old but it still works. My uncle used it in his restaurant to grind up hamburger.

17-Nov-19
The pro series is half the price of carnivore but much better than the two lesser non-carnivore models. Really solid

20-Nov-19
I replaced the plate and knife with new and the difference was night and day. Thank you for this thread!

22-Mar-20

Deerbun's Link
I use my 11.8 x 13.5 x 5.5 inches Gourmia GMG525. It is perfect for all kinds of meat. Ok, it is not really budget and I'm not sure if it is worth to be used a couple times in a year, but amyway, it's good even for deer meat.

23-Mar-20
I bought a #32 hand type meat grinder. Took auger out ,put in lathe and turned the tapered end round ,where crank was attached. Put a Lovejoy coupling on and coupled to a 60 rpm gear motor. Mounted on stainless steel plate. Does an excellent job. Used for 15 years more of less . 3-5 deer a year. Not everyone has those capabilities. I have sold and rebuilt electric motors since 1977. At Christmas ,thinking the 3/4 up Cabelas grinder might be better so I bought one . Gear box got so hot it was scorching the meat. Used the freezer pack that came with it and used liked the instructions said. It was returned . Double grind 2 deer with my home made one and it does fine . Gear box on mine never gets hot .

• Sitka Gear