IdyllwildArcher 10-Nov-19
COHOYTHUNTER 10-Nov-19
Jaquomo 10-Nov-19
Firsty 10-Nov-19
808bowhunter 11-Nov-19
BULELK1 11-Nov-19
Cheesehead Mike 11-Nov-19
09-Nov-19
Planning to apply in New Mexico for 2020, possibly Wyoming with no points and see what happens. If that falls through plan B being OTC in Idaho/Colorado or looking at leftover cow tag options. Curious on everyones thoughts on this, killing an elk is still #1 priority wether it be a cow/bull. Fell that I would enjoy an OTC hunt, but have also heard that some of Cow hunts are good option to continue to get experience. Would be curious what everyone's thoughts are on those options. Not really many resources out there that talk about planning for leftover cow only hunt.

09-Nov-19
I think that is pretty much the same plan that everyone on bowsite has. Shouldn’t be good to go.

—Jim

09-Nov-19
So I guess I should have titled OTC vs. leftover or cow only hunt?

09-Nov-19
Why don't you go OTC Bull and get a B List cow tag for the same hunt.

09-Nov-19
Appy for a Wyoming general license and hope for luck in the random. I had a friend draw this year with zero points. If you don’t draw buy a point. Then buy a leftover cow tag so you have high odds of punching your tag. Go hunt and learn your area which is truly priceless. Actually better than having a bull tag in an area you’ve never laid eyes on. Do the same thing the following year. Then you’ll have a place to call home when you do draw. Invest in your future!

09-Nov-19
Buy a landowner tag in N. Mexico in a non- primo unit. It won`t cost you what you think and you will still get into elk. No scouting needed either....the LO will tell you all you need to know.

09-Nov-19
Shhh MP, you’re gonna make those cow tags harder to come by :-)

09-Nov-19
^^^ They already are. Especially the RPs

09-Nov-19
I would agree with getting a cow tag. I killed a couple cows before I got a bull.

10-Nov-19
I hear 2020 Colorado is going to make OTC deadline same as limited draw application deadline unless you select OTC as your 'unsuccessful' option

10-Nov-19
Who'd you hear that from? Colorado puts out a 5 year plan and that's not in the 5 year plan.

Here's how these rumors start:

George to Bill: I wish they'd make everyone either put in for a tag or OTC and have that be it, no driving in and buying a tag day before your hunt. That'd sure get my area's pressure under better control.

Bill to Jack: George says he wishes they'd make it so that you had to either draw or put OTC as your second choice and then that's it. (Meanwhile, Jack is drunk)

Jack to 40 people: Next year, CO OTC is going bye bye unless you put OTC as your second choice.

10-Nov-19
No.... more like... "hey Jack... don't you wish these non resident pussy's would stop using Colorado as a last resort and make an f-ing decision on where they are going to hunt and stop waiting until July to decide"

10-Nov-19
Ike, they made it clear that the 5 year plan allows for changes to limited licensing, including going all limited, etc... The plan only relates to season dates and structures. In fact, they are still discussing making more of CO archery bull-only, limiting archery bull tags in many more units. Theres a thread on the CO forum about it.

10-Nov-19
Why all the crying about Colorado OTC? There is some great hunting to be had with a little effort.

11-Nov-19
I think experience hunting for bulls in otc is better learning for hunting bulls in the future than hunting cows. I’ve killed a bull every year but one(mostly rats!) but would have had a hard time killing cows consistently. Maybe just the aggressive style I hunt, but I feel like I would struggle with a cow tag

11-Nov-19
For sure put your name in the Hat for the Bowhunters of Wyoming Raffle the early part of 2020.

As long as I have an Elk tag to fill, I don't really care if it's bull or cow, as long as I get to hunt them dang elk!

I have 1 more elk tag to fill this year, cow/Wyoming.

Whatever you decide------>Enjoy

Good luck, Robb

11-Nov-19
I just couldn't get revved up enough to go thru all the work to go kill a cow. But that's just me....

• Sitka Gear