Russell 14-Nov-19
Teeton 14-Nov-19
Urbncwby 14-Nov-19
BOWNBIRDHNTR 14-Nov-19
So467 14-Nov-19
Trial153 14-Nov-19
APauls 15-Nov-19
10-Nov-19
I know it doesn't really take anything special to pull a bow up into the stand but just curious what kind of rope you guys are using for your bow ropes? I have about 15 stands with most of them staying out all year long. I check them over each year and replace the rope every couple years. It's such a ripoff to pay 5 bucks for a 15 foot section of rope with a clip on the end so I am looking to by a couple hundred feet of bulk rope. So, let me know what type of rope you guys like to use. A link to a good deal on bulk rope would be even better. Thanks. Ken

10-Nov-19
I use parachute cord.... can't help on a deal, but ebay has to have something... Only thing wrong, you gotta buy it to see exactly what its like......

10-Nov-19
I go to a hardware store and buy a long length of nylon rope. Not sure what size but less than 1/4”. It costs a dime or two a foot.

10-Nov-19
I’m running nylon tight braid in real tree camo. 1/4” 125# weight tested

Good thread this is an under appreciated part of our equipment package. Never climb With a bow

10-Nov-19
I got a massive ball of some super strong braided cordage about 3/16" from a concrete crew that used it to string the guide for the curb pouring machine. It fairly stiff so it doesn`t flap in the breeze and get knotted up. It also doesn`t cling to bark....very important.

10-Nov-19
I use the cheap 5/16ths or 3/8ths camo line ya get at the Hope Depot type stores. I tie it to the seat of the hang-on. It does double duty as the bow line and to raise/lower the hang-on stand when I'm moving it around from tree to tree. Just to clarify....I use the heavier line because the thinner line will slip thru my hand and burn them when I lower the stand to the ground when moving it.

10-Nov-19
I used to have some heavy duty trot line cord, very similar to what Franklin is talking about. It was awesome stuff, for the reasons Franklin stated as well. Can’t find it any longer, unfortunately, so I use the stuff JL describes. Not that big of a fan of the parachute cord. The squirrels here seem to chew on it more than the other.

10-Nov-19

cnelk's Link
I have a couple Strapper bow hoists that work well , no tangles. See link.

10-Nov-19
Fishery supply places will sell you 3/8" poly in 600 foot spools.

10-Nov-19
I've gone the opposite route. I don't leave the pull up rope the stand. Wife and I both have 25 feet with us. No need to leave one at the stand

11-Nov-19
I`ve actually done the same Bob....some have them some don`t.

I like that "Strapper" idea....I was thinking of a way to use a chalkline reel with some heavy braided cord. Bowhunters are always tinkering.

11-Nov-19
Buy some cloths line rope and call it a day, geez. Don’t over engineer it, it’s just a pull up rope

11-Nov-19
I use the cheap imitation paracord from WallyWorld that comes in 50 foot lengths wrapped around a white plastic holder. I just toss a couple of them in my daypack or fanny pack when I'm checking my supplies before season the ones from last year are missing or are getting short. I do grab them out during the off season for odd needs year round, and renew my supply before any major hunting or camping seasons. And I also do as the above posters who carry it out with me when I go home. Only takes few seconds to wrap it around the plastic holder it came on and toss it in the pack again, and the squirrels can't get it.

It's cheap and tough enough to handle jobs like pulling gear up, tying a hind leg off to a nearby tree or whatever to hold a deer's carcass in position while field dressing, hanging a scent dripper, tying my pop-up blind to a tree to prevent it from leaving with the next wind, etc.

11-Nov-19
Parachute cord. 550 pound rating.

https://www.paracordplanet.com/paracord/

11-Nov-19
What color do you guys normally run. Camo or just plain white

11-Nov-19
Depends if its early or late season

11-Nov-19
I get white and then use a bunch of different colored markers to make several different camo patterns so I always have one to match the camo I'm wearing that day.

#nextlevel

11-Nov-19
You using a Sharpie, or a wide tipped marker, midwest??

11-Nov-19
Army/Navy stores sell parachute cord pretty cheap in bulk. On my permanent stands around 50 I have two pull up ropes, one for my pack and one for my bow. It's convenient for me!! Shawn

11-Nov-19
When you start to pull it up which hand do you use first and then when it comes time to lower it do you do the opposite?

11-Nov-19
t-roy, Both....I lay a foundation with the wide tip, then do the detail work with the finer tips. For gun season, just a wide tip blaze orange works.

11-Nov-19
Disclaimer: I don’t recommend any of you do this because it’s just way too dangerous, but for a different point of view, I always avoid bow ropes. Had a giant buck catch me hauling my bow up on an afternoon hunt many years ago and I switched to a bow hook on my hip. I always climb with my bow on my left hip (I know Bou, I’m a reckless daredevil). I carry my ultra light hang/hunt stand hanging off a hook on my right hip. I can slowly and silently climb in/out of my set ups safely (using a lineman’s strap) with my equipment perfectly balanced on each hip. My hooks are tethered on my pack straps, not on my belt. I have many trees pre-trimmed and drilled with bolts for steps, which offers a very low profile set up that’s a must here in the wilds of New Jersey suburbia. So - no getting caught without my bow and no bow clanking off steps swinging on a rope up/down the tree, no scent on the ground where my bow would be laying, no caught brush, and I get to irritate Bou every time this comes up. Lots of advantages. And the added element of danger carrying 6 broad heads up/down the tree just helps keep me frosty.

11-Nov-19
Where'd you learn that, Busta? ;-)

Curious....once you get your stand set, is it difficult climbing into the stand with the bow on your hip?

11-Nov-19
The key is not “climbing” into your stand at all. So as long as you have your stand/steps set properly, you are just easily/silently stepping down on to the platform. I always have one high step above the stand location to use as a handhold, and I always set the stand slightly below my top “foot” step. So, once the stand is set, it’s a simple and totally silent move to use my high hand-hold step and just step off my last foot step, down onto the platform. The mistake a lot of guys make is to run steps up as high as possible then hang the stand above the last step. Then you are “climbing” up into the stand and using the tree or a branch or whatever you can as a handhold above the stand. It becomes a dangerous and noisy gymnastic move to get into the stand and that’s something I’d never try with a bow on my hip. Spend a couple extra bucks for another tree step or two (or bolt, like I use) and pre-set everything so your transition from step to platform is effortless, safe and silent.

11-Nov-19
Midwest, if you had some sort of reverse fiber optic cable it would be like a ghost cable. #milliondollaridea

11-Nov-19
I carry 2 lines of 550 paracord with carabiners on both ends, probably 25 ft each, both in my back pack. Doesn't weigh much and I don't have to worry about the ropes getting frayed or weakened by leaving out all year.

11-Nov-19
You guys do understand that it HAS to be camo, or the deer will see it and blow up. I special order mine in Sitka Optifade Elevated II Concealment. It's a dollar a foot but well worth it. Have never had a deer spot it and run off.

11-Nov-19
Lou, you must be Prostaff if you’re getting at a buck a foot

11-Nov-19
Since I only hunt on the ground these days, I only need about 4', so its affordable.

11-Nov-19
heavy duty retracting dog leash on my climber

11-Nov-19
Does anyone use a winch wind mounted to the side of the stand to crank it up and let it down. If so how do you silence the sprockets click click click. That is annoying

11-Nov-19

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Best I have found but noisy.

11-Nov-19
I put hockey tape on mine

11-Nov-19

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
Like Lou, I only hunt from the ground, or near it, except for one bow blind on a ten foot tower. I use a bow sling and carry it up when I get in. No harness, no lifeline, no bow rope, but at my age I cling to that ladder like it was life or death.

11-Nov-19
Of course scoot! My way or the highway! I just want what’s best for them.

11-Nov-19
75 ft of 550 paracord was $2.99 at the local Menards. Enough for 3 stands.

11-Nov-19
If ordering any off of EBay, be sure to check country of origin. I’d hate to read about some tragic rope fraying incident caused by someone trying to save a few bucks by buying some cheap Chinese knockoff imitation rope......or any pseudo hockey tape , for that matter.

11-Nov-19
My hockey tape is Sitka

I replaced my boot laces with it this year.... it was a game changer

11-Nov-19
Guys we are a distributor of accessories. If you can place an order of 25 ropes we will give our wholesale price of $2.00 per rope. Just pm me. They are super strong with nice clips and are 20 feet long. Gary

11-Nov-19
Drab green paracord. I have 22feet tied to the base of my LW alpha climber if I get to the end of the rope, I've definitely climber high enough IMO. Pete

11-Nov-19

11-Nov-19
Midwset, I have spent the last 12 hours with white rope and sharpies. I think there has to be a better way. Lol.....thanks for all the responses guys. I knew it was a silly question and I would get some ribbing. Never would have guessed this would the post to get the bowsite bigshooters to respond. Thanks for the laughs and the couple good responses. I appreciate them all.

11-Nov-19
Paracord that comes in 100 ft length and then I cut them down to 25' length. All my permanent stands have one attached and I carry two lengths with me when I use my climber.

11-Nov-19

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Bou'Bound, what about a drill winch? Bows these days are getting heavier and heavier, and you never run out of uses for a cordless drill in the woods! Could even strap it on and raise the stand up the tree.

11-Nov-19
Now we’re cooking with gas. Can hoist the deer up To skin too

11-Nov-19
1/8" or 3/16" nylon rope and some cheap aluminum carabiners from your local hardware store or home center works for me. If the white rope gives you the heebie-jeebies, buy a pack of Rit dye at the grocery store.

12-Nov-19
That would make some keen looking tie dyed rope there dude. Need too try that when I'm done cleaning my bong out. Party on ;)

12-Nov-19
I see Mathews just released a bow rope with their ne wvbow lineup. Looks like my question has been answered.....ya right!

12-Nov-19
I see Mathews just released a bow rope with their ne wvbow lineup. Looks like my question has been answered.....ya right!

14-Nov-19
But the Mathews rope is only 28” long. Limited use unless you have VERY LONG arms

14-Nov-19
Dang it! I thought it was 28’ so I ordered 12, I wonder how they will work for boot laces???

14-Nov-19
I guess to some here a second rope might seem excessive but I hook my bow on one and my pack on the second. I also have linesman rope at each stand . After that, I'm like a 59 year old squirrel going up a tree!

14-Nov-19
That rigging would Make spider man seem like a slacker

14-Nov-19
Like CNELK I use a Strapper retriever, been using it for many years. I have been hearing a lot of good things about the Doyle gear hoist which comes in a strap or a cord style and is an auto retracting style.The saddle hunting crowd seems to favor it. I presently have 27 tree stands out ,so that's a lot of pull up ropes to be maintaining.

14-Nov-19
Bou'bound, I could share a story about falling out of a tree but I won't bore you. Let's just say I'm very cautious these days.

14-Nov-19
Buy a spool of 550 cord off ebay.

Burn the ends, add a loop and your good to go.

14-Nov-19
The real question is when hunting from a ground blind, what color rope you use then??? :)

14-Nov-19
550 paracord

14-Nov-19
T-roy those squirrels are just trying to get to the finer threads inside the 550 paracord so they can floss. If you truly cared about your wildlife enjoying your food plots you would put out a few floss dispensers for them.

14-Nov-19
I took three pieces of 550 cord and braided them together. This stiffens the rope in that it never tangles. Tied a knot on one end then burned it together. Other end has a loop that I can put my hand through. Loop works great to lower bow in dark in that I hook it over the cam and just slide it off. Yes a lot of work. But to me it is perfect. Made this 8-9 years ago and still looks new.

14-Nov-19
Lawsons equipment, 3mm and 5 mm.

15-Nov-19
Short stout ice fishing rod and reel in the pack with 70lb power pro. Throw a big treble on the end and leave all your crap at the bottom of the tree and bring it up at your leisure. Dropped a glove? No problem. Just set your drag accordingly or it can be noisy.

• Sitka Gear