Ziek 11-Nov-19
Shug 11-Nov-19
Ace 11-Nov-19
WV Mountaineer 11-Nov-19
Treeline 11-Nov-19
APauls 11-Nov-19
Shug 12-Nov-19
10-Nov-19
There was a recipe for deer shanks that people praised highly . Was it the 2015 thread by midwest?

10-Nov-19
I would encourage you to look for a recipe for Osso bucco.

10-Nov-19
Osso Bucco is a great dish. Google it. I find it best when prepared in a dutch oven. Don't omit the red wine... a merlot or penot noir.

10-Nov-19
Season it, then Sear it in a hot skillet in bacon grease or olive oil. Get it seared well on all sides. Remove from the pan and place to the side. Add your veggies to the same pan and oil. I use potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and mushrooms. Sear them until the onions start to turn translucent.

Prior to this, set your crock pot on LO, add a whole Corona extra, two tablespoons of minced garlic, and a quart of beef bone broth or stock. Once the veggies are seared well, dump them unto the crock pot, then place the shanks on top. They should be about a 1/3 covered by the broth. Put a lid on it and let it simmer for 6-7 hours or so. You can cook them on high in about 3 hours but the lo setting and longer cooking time really protects each ingredients integrity and molds them all into a better over all tasting dish.

When cooking roast and shanks, many people wait to add the veggies until the meat is almost done. Don't do that. The searing keeps the sugar in the veggies and prevents it from giving the whole dish a sweeter taste. And, it makes the veggies more delicious to boot.

That's the way I do most of mine and everyone who eats it swears it is the best tasting, most tender "beef roast" they have ever had. Just be sure to get a good sear on the meat to ensure a good texture and to keep the liquid from making it chewy. Try it. you'll love it. I do shoulders that way too. I no longer grind them. I cut them in half at the elbow and roast them the same way. God Bless

10-Nov-19

Vids's Link
Hank Shaw - Austrian Braised Venison Shanks. You're Welcome!

10-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Thanks WV. I saved my deer shanks to try.

11-Nov-19
WV....I saved all my antelope shoulders to do the same. That recipe will work well for neck roasts as well!

11-Nov-19
I use Steve Rinella’s recipe (it’s in his cook book) and the results are always amazing. But that Austrian dish above (Thanks Vid’s) sounds like money, and I’ll be trying that one soon. I can almost cry over the number of shanks I’ve ground, fed to the dog, or just tossed over the years. It’s unbelievable that what I once thought of as “waste” turns out to be the very best part of the deer when it’s cooked properly, yet most guys have no idea. My butcher thinks I’m nuts when I ask him to disc my shanks into 1.5” pieces. No one else has ever asked him to even save the shanks. Don’t ever throw away your shanks guys!!!

11-Nov-19
Just had whitetail shanks last night for dinner. Very similar to WV's recipe. Used red wine instead of Corona and braised in oven not the crock pot. Did 4 hours on 300. Wish I did 5 hours. When done pulled it apart by hand and then served with Jasmine rice and the carrots from the dish. Kids ate 2nds, so it must have been good.

11-Nov-19
Those tendons have to turn to jello or it's not done yet!

11-Nov-19
Amazingly delicious. I will never grind again!

11-Nov-19
You don't have to leave the bone in to cook them. I just debone them. Saves a lot of space in the freezer, especially for larger game, like elk or moose.

11-Nov-19
Check the Pastrami thread... I made Oso Buco in there as well

11-Nov-19
Even better is Mooso Bucco!

If you pressure cook it you can cut the cooking time quite a bit.

11-Nov-19
Brad, you'll like it really well. I like complex food dishes as much as anyone. But, the tastes that develop in that crock pot doing it this way would make you swear it has a bunch of seasoning and ingredients in it. However, I just season with salt and pepper though and, let the veggies do the rest of the seasoning. Simple ingredients and effort that leads to my most favorite meal. The shanks are by far my most preferred cut now for this reason.

Nick, I cook the neck the exact same way too. Yummy, yum yum.

11-Nov-19
I like smoking them for a couple of hours then finishing them in the Dutch oven -low and slow :-)

Will be trying a few other recipes! Sound great!

Bad thing about figuring out how awesome the neck roasts and shanks are is that I don’t get near as much hamburger! Funny, but some of the tougher stuff that I never thought much of has now moved to the top of the list for yumminess!

11-Nov-19
Ya the pressure cooker or Instant Pot 45 min cook time booyah! LOVE that jello!

12-Nov-19

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Mmmm...

• Sitka Gear