GF 12-Nov-19
Shug 12-Nov-19
Shug 12-Nov-19
Shug 12-Nov-19
Shug 12-Nov-19
11-Nov-19

triggertrav's embedded Photo
triggertrav's embedded Photo
A friend of mine hit a deer. He said broadside and 15 yards. He was 20+ feet in a tree. Based on the arrow, where would you say the shot was?

11-Nov-19
I have seen it all, no assumptions based on arrow alone.

11-Nov-19
The deer hasnt been recovered. I am confused by the situation....

11-Nov-19
From the arrow it looks like it was hit hard.

11-Nov-19
He has droopy ears

11-Nov-19
if the middle arrow in the picture is the arrow that hit the deer I'd say the deer is dead usually lung blood is almost pink looking heart blood red & liver blood purple. as for your question lung or both lung & heart

11-Nov-19
If there is No dead deer the shot was not where the guy said it was

11-Nov-19
I don't ever remember seeing an arrow that red with blood. Wasnt sure if someone and a reasonable location for that much blood on an arrow.

11-Nov-19
Assuming the middle arrow started out matching the other two.... With that amount of blood and a clean pass-through, there should be an AMPLE blood trail, especially with a fairly steep downward angle on the shot. I don’t think I had that much blood on an arrow that laid the descending aorta wide open.

I’m going to guess that something obvious has been overlooked. Or all is not as it appears/appeared.

11-Nov-19
I'm going to draw speculation in this but, it has been my experience that when an arrow goes completely through the pump station, it doesn't get covered with as much blood as it does when the hit is through the liver.

11-Nov-19
That has to be a buzzkill when you come upon your arrow when it looks like that and no dead deer. If it`s a liver hit I would think the deer would still be dead....you just got to find it.

11-Nov-19
That sounds reasonable to me, Justin.... but the blood on the arrow looks pretty bright.

FWIW, a few drops every few feet should be plenty good enough to lead you to a deer. Yes, you might progress slowly on your hands and knees instead of following at a brisk walk, but.... So??

Unless the deer has been into Winter Warlock’s magic corn, it’s going to leave sign. You just have to slow down enough and pay close enough attention to find it.

11-Nov-19
That looks like fat smeared on the arrow or painted with magic marker. Where is the nock? On the string?

11-Nov-19
20 ft. up its hard to get the two lung shot we all want, unless its a long way out, just too high to be up.

11-Nov-19
That’s one bloody arrow. That rules out muscle hit to me, which might leave the kind of sporadic blood you described. I tend to be in the camp that said the deer is dead, just have to find him. If it’s legal, and you can find one, I’d put a dog on that trail.

11-Nov-19
Everybody is clear that Bloodtrail is talking about a different deer than the OP?

12-Nov-19
What kind of hair is present? A guess based on the shot distance and stand height he has a 1 lung hit but that is a complete guess. Ask him to use 1 word to describe where he hit the deer in relation to a perfect shot. Also what did the deer do upon the shot and what did the blood trail look like?

12-Nov-19

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
This was last fall, the dreaded liver shot, poor blood trail, crazy amounts of beds, ended up doing a huge circle and dying by my truck

12-Nov-19

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo

12-Nov-19
Exit wound

12-Nov-19
IMO they can survive a pure liver hit

12-Nov-19
The deer I shot this year had no blood trail but he was dead on a trail about 70 yards from where he was shot. He was quartering towards me and I made the mistake of aiming towards the nearest shoulder instead of where the arrow should exit, so I for sure hit one lung and probably the back of the 2nd. To me, that looks like a good hit and you should be able to find that deer.

12-Nov-19
Deer can survive a pure liver hit? I thought that was a for sure death sentence.

12-Nov-19
Entry was slightly further back, If i remember correctly, not by much tho

12-Nov-19
That's a lot of blood on an arrow. Scares me when I see that. I agree with Bou on this one. To me, it's a pure meat hit. Stay on it and maybe you'll find it, maybe not, but you tried. My experience with over 1,000 blood trails to back me up is, I bet the blood trail petered out fairly quick indicating flesh wound.

12-Nov-19
sure looks like a liver hit to me

12-Nov-19
“but I think a liver hit is about 99% sure a dead deer.”

The liver is a very low-pressure circuit... If you clip one of the big pipes, I can’t imagine it’s survivable, but maybe if you miraculously threaded between the diaphragm and the stomach with clipping anything bigger than a pencil....

Harder to trail because of the low pressure, though... probably more likely to slowly fill up internally...

I sure wish I was a good enough tracker to know that if I couldn’t find the animal I could be sure it was still alive....

12-Nov-19
Dbl

12-Nov-19
Dbl post

12-Nov-19
Dbl post

12-Nov-19
Impossible to say 100% just from looking at a pic of the arrow especially when the pic gets blurred on Bowsite

• Sitka Gear