8point 12-Nov-19
APauls 12-Nov-19
Scrappy 12-Nov-19
Scrappy 12-Nov-19
sitO 12-Nov-19
Timbrhuntr 12-Nov-19
T Mac 13-Nov-19
12-Nov-19
Had my number 2 buck coming straight in until he saw my Flambeau Boss Buck decoy. He got nervous and made a wide swing way out of range and left the field. I had one antler on the off side, and a white strip of fabric on the tail end of the decoy so I think he just didn't like the setup. I don't think he was decoy shy, because I'm not aware of anyone around here who would use one, and that was the first time I had this one up. I've used decoys before with limited success, and was wondering the % of success vs. failure others had experienced.

12-Nov-19
For me - more failure than success. Multiple times I’ve experienced what you described. Each time the buck was larger than my decoy so he shouldn’t have been intimidated by it. I’ve also had them come in on a string to the same setup. I’ve yet to figure out why it attracts some and scares others.

-Mitch

12-Nov-19
Last night here in KS...

12-Nov-19
SitO, you on the ground there for the second half?? WOW that's crazy, that cedar must be blending real well with the Forest pattern, and giving you great backdrop. So cool. Thanks for sharing

12-Nov-19
Very cool video!! You must have a remote on the other cam too?

12-Nov-19
Yep, Sitka's not worth it ;?)

Running GoPro from phone

12-Nov-19
I have elcheapo camo and have had deer walk 5 feet in front of me with the decoy out doubt the camo pattern matters unless its golden nugget brand lol

12-Nov-19
No "golden nuggets" here TP, I actually hunt

12-Nov-19
“I actually hunt”.

Ouch!!

12-Nov-19
I'm with Old School, decoys have scared off more deer than they've attracted for me. There have been a few exceptions to the rule, but not enough to justify using one, IMO.

Matt

12-Nov-19
Old School & Grey Ghost, I'm with you. If you get the right buck with right attitude they work, otherwise they screw up a good set up, so I've got a Flambeau Boss for sale only used once....Cheap!

12-Nov-19
Deer are animals and animals are individuals. If you know for sure that a buck will walk past you, don't do anything to threaten that chance. If you know for sure a buck will not be walking past you than you are guaranteed NOT to get a crack at him if you do nothing. Hunting is a game of odds, if you think you're in the right spot, don't use it. If you think you're in the right area, but maybe not the precise spot and want to play the odds a decoy is a great way to do so. Not all bucks will like it, and not all does will hate it.

There's also a little something to using a new technique. When is that last time you were a master at something on your first attempt?

12-Nov-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
If it's the right spot I will not hunt without mine. I know a little buck that needs a better attitude. Lined up and charged before I could tell him not to do it.

12-Nov-19

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
The little buck five minutes before I was able to tell him no. They sometimes listen and sometimes they don't.

12-Nov-19
How much for the "Boss" 8point?

12-Nov-19
Wasn't suggesting you used golden nuggets. What does I actually hunt mean saying I don't lol

Had my decoy out tonight in a field surrounded by woods. A nice 140 inch buck came out 200 yards away across the field. He looked at the decoy a few times. I think he was eating the golden nuggets that the guy who hunts the next farm across the field puts out in front of his stand but with 8 inches of snow hard to tell. He finally decided to cross the field to check the decoy but hung up at 70 yards and looked down the field. He then trotted back the way he came. Right after he left a doe came running across the field and circled the decoy several times then stood directly in front of it for several seconds. Finally she lost interest and walked off. I doubt that buck would have come nearly as close without the decoy out.

13-Nov-19
Sito great video!

• Sitka Gear