Buffalo1 13-Nov-19
GhostBird 13-Nov-19
Alexis Desjardins 13-Nov-19
Ucsdryder 13-Nov-19
hdaman 14-Nov-19
Errorhead 14-Nov-19
fisherick 14-Nov-19
12-Nov-19
I've been wondering about getting a plastic drag sled to pull out deer. I have a nice game cart, it is heavy, but works well. However, a lot of my hunting takes place in moderate hilly hardwoods and between the limbs, downed logs, and sidehilling with a heavy load I wonder if I would be better served with a sled. They are not used a lot around here in the land of the 4-wheelers (north Alabama/southern Tennessee) that I am aware of, so I know nothing about them.

12-Nov-19
A buddy of mine uses one for all just deer drags here in Michigan. Just a simple plastic sled with a rope handle.

12-Nov-19
Jet Sleds work great, have a nice tall lip so the deer or gear doesn't come out easy

12-Nov-19

SixLomaz's Link
See Steve idea on the thread above.

12-Nov-19

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
These are about $35 and last forever.

I ran a line through all those dimples around the perimeter (drilled out and installed grommets) and it just keeps on truckin’...,

Only thing it doesn’t slide over very easily is a dry log.

12-Nov-19
I use the bottom out of an old Clam portable fishhouse. I like the fact that the sides are only about 4" so it's pretty easy to load dead critters in. I've heard some guys complain about how plastic sleds don't drag well over grass and dry ground, but I've never found that to be an issue. Sleds are the bomb for bears which NEVER drag well as they fall in and fill every little dip and void in the ground!

12-Nov-19

canepole's embedded Photo
canepole's embedded Photo
About 10 years ago I acquired a bunch of goose decoys and other goose hunting equipment. Since I didn't goose hunt, I sold most of it except for some great boots and two large Terain decoy sleds.

They (the sleds) have improved the quality of my deer hunting immensely. I have used them to drag multiple stands in and out of the woods. They are especially helpful getting deer back to the truck. The legs or antlers don't hang up nearly as often and the hard plastic slides over the ground with a lot less resistance. Because of the lip on the front of the sled, you can position the front end on your tailgate and pick up the back and slide it into the bed of truck with a lot less effort. It also keeps blood from getting in the bed and on any gear you may have stored in there. We have even use them to float out deer when we take our John boat to hunt on Corp of Engineer land around the lake. Two weeks ago my grandson shot a 7 pointer. It wasn't a big deer maybe 110lbs but I've floated bigger ones out and there weren't any problems.

12-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Ive pulled a half an elk out with one

12-Nov-19
We brought my girlfriend's whole elk out on my Jet Sled year. 4 quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, burger meat. Worked slick as goose poop.

12-Nov-19
The times I used my jet sleds was in deep snow. It's good for that but can slip into your foot track and tip over. I took a 1" x 2" and drilled a hole in each end to match the existing holes in the plastic sled. I got some new line and ran it thru the two holes of the wood and then thru the two holes of the sled. The idea was for the wood 1" x 2" to act as a backing so as not to rip/crack the sled's holes when toting a heavy load. That works real well. If you have a jet sled I recommend doing that.

12-Nov-19
Starting to think I'm under equiped. My sled cost 4.99 at menards and it's 5 years old. Of course I bought it when it was on clearance. Cheap tip for you trad guys lol

12-Nov-19
I like to think I'm in pretty good shape for 59 but over the years how many times did you hear/read about someone having a heart attack dragging a deer out of the woods. Where I hunt I don't have the luxury of driving my truck or a four wheeler to a downed deer. It gives me a little piece of mind when dragging a deer a couple hundred yards to half a mile out with my sled.

12-Nov-19

fisherick's embedded Photo
fisherick's embedded Photo
That 48" red sled has hauled out many deer, is flimsy, but get thru sapling and around trees a breeze. The orange one is 66", heavy duty, bigger loads, can lean one end against tailgate and easily lift deer into the truck yourself. Only drawback of the orange one and jetsleds are maneuvering thru saplings and tight areas.

12-Nov-19

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
Here is a big late season doe bow in my snow camo sled. Like mentioned above, I recall it was a little tight dragging back thru the jack pines humping back to the truck.

12-Nov-19
They are amazing...cut the friction of the drag down significantly. For a crippled fella who relies a lot on others , it’s the least I can do for them...

12-Nov-19
I’ve thought about one of these, but there’s probably not one within 500 miles of me.

12-Nov-19
I have about the same as the 2 on the ends that fisherick posted... The cart works good, but usually at the time its too much bother to dig out the cart and just grab the cheap plastic sled and some nylon rope...

13-Nov-19
Thanks guys, I'll be looking for one. Like drycreek said, there's probably not one within 500 miles of me either. I have never seen one in any store around here and will start looking online.

13-Nov-19

Grubby's embedded Photo
Grubby's embedded Photo
I wish otter would make one with a pointy front to help it go between trees. Less chainsaw work thAt way. The Paris sleds available at ace hardware work pretty well but I don’t think they are durable enough in the woods.

13-Nov-19
I've used sleds a few times, mostly to haul out elk. I have bad knees and pulling/dragging is easier on me then carrying. One thing I'd suggest for those that are dragging/pulling sleds is to invest in a drag harness like the one in this link. Keeps your hands free and makes walking much more efficient. https://north40.com/allen-dual-harness-deer-drag?msclkid=7889802be31a1a56e550dde7ef731360

13-Nov-19

cnelk's Link
Some of you guys may want to check out Northern Sled Works - see link and video below.

13-Nov-19
^I couldn't watch that whole vid due to the annoying music. Having towed quite a few deer thru snow.....if your sled (any sled) flexes or has a soft bottom, it will bow in the middle. That bow tends to act as an anchor while dragging thru soft snow. Whereas a sled with a firm bottom will displace the weight better and will then slide better over the soft snow. I have never used my jet sleds without snow so I can't give offer any experience on that.

My buddy in Florida has a wrap around smooth, heavy duty roll of shiny plastic or vinyl that you wrap around the deer. It looks like a burrito when wrapped up. I don't recall what it's called but it rolls up and you can stick it in your pack. Tie a line to the deer and it drags over the ground fairly easy. He thinks it's called a "Deer Slide".

13-Nov-19

JL's Link
I did a little looking around and I think it is something like this.

13-Nov-19
I used my new, big Muddy cart for my antelope last month for a near 4 mile tote over ridges and sagebrush going in and out. Other than me sucking wind, it worked real good.

13-Nov-19
Check out Sportsman Guide website. They offer quite a few models.

No experience with use however. I use a cart with wheels.

13-Nov-19
The sled JTV posted above is $40 with free shipping on Amazon. I like the idea of having a pointed or rounded front.

13-Nov-19
We use the big black ones from cabelas to haul bears out of the bush they work great.

13-Nov-19
By the time I walk back to the truck, why wouldn’t you just carry the animal out on your back? I guess if I was super close to the truck it would work, but it doesn’t seem like I’m ever close.

14-Nov-19
You convinced me to buy the same sled. I hope to break it in soon, also!

14-Nov-19

Errorhead's embedded Photo
I got a sled also, us poor rednecks use a tractor if we cannot afford a 4 wheeler.

14-Nov-19
JVT I like the rounded front or a torpedo shape sleds the best to maneuver thru the woods. Who carries out a 200# deer on their back? He can be my new elk hunting buddy.

• Sitka Gear