coelker 18-Nov-19
Treeline 18-Nov-19
Deercy 28-Nov-19
Marty 28-Nov-19
Quinn @work 29-Nov-19
12-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
So I am packing my Bow on this hunt. But my wife and daughter are running with guns.

So after 15 years of building points we cashed in and decided to go for deer together. This has been a huge undertaking for several reasons...

First of all last year this would have been an easy undertaking. We lived just 45 minutes from the unit and could hunt from home... With our move we are 5.5 hours away. The good news is I know the unit as well as anyone. In fact the DWM has called me at times asking how to access certain areas etc.

This is also the first time we are spending a hunt in a wall tent. So that took a whole lot of effort. I wanted a small easy to assemble tent set up. 2 years ago when Cabelas still was good I found a 12x12 Alaknak for $300. It was brand new and I took it. Added a roof protector, floor liner and stove etc. Since the 12x12 is small for 4 people we went with the Disco bed bunk beds. Etc. We use the front porch for cooking and storage.

I now have myself, my wife and my daughter to prep everything for... My son is also needing a lot despite not hunting, he is with me every step on nearly every hunt. So family of 4... Means 4 pairs binos, 4 backpacks, etc. It has been a real undertaking outfitting everyone propperly for late season cold weather hunt away from home. 2 pairs boots, 2 coats, 2 pairs gloves, etc. I have been working on getting all of this organized for month now.

Again this is all about one incredible experience for my family.

Some other prep things that most hunts do not require. My blazer, had a 16 gallon tank in it, that really sucks. So I installed a 38 gallon tank. I had to replace the clutch linkages and do some other work as well.

So Saturday we drove the 5 hours to the unit and set up camp. We got out of camp at 4:00 pm and took a drive. I knew several guys hunting the unit in the 3rd season. They had extremely hard luck and the deer numbers and success was way down. Weather? Migration? Who knows.

So Saturday I was not expecting much. In drove and glassed. Before dark we ended up seeing 74 deer of which only 7 were bucks and one buck that mature but not a shooter. We did see several small buck fighting and the mature buck was nose to tail on a doe and stupid as a buck in rut.

On sunday we got up early and hit one of my favorite areas. It was upsetting to say the least. In areas where I typically glass 100+ deer a day we saw 14. No good bucks and nothing worth getting excited about. We covered a ton of ground more than normal and still nothing. No tracks in the snow, no sign, nothing. Extremely frustrating and concerning.

That afternoon we finished up the camp set up and took a ride out on the way home. We found one really good buck and picked up some trash.

12-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo

12-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo

12-Nov-19
Looking like you are off to a great start!

12-Nov-19
Glad you are posting this, great vicarious living for us bowsiters.

12-Nov-19
Cool trip....can`t wait to see some mulies down. BTW....who gets first shot? lol

12-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
Slobs... We hauled this home!!!
coelker's embedded Photo
Slobs... We hauled this home!!!
So my wife gets first shot with out a doubt. I have been lucky to take some good mature bucks. She has never shot anything bigger than a 20” basket 4x4.

So we definitely give her first shot.

When we were driving around on Saturday we found slobs. We picked up a couple dozen beer can, a tarp. Etc.

I am sure we will find more.

12-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Like I have some great deer already. This was one of my bucks...

12-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
In between archery elk and this tag we snuck in a doe antelope tag.

Well right now it is 5:45. I am waiting on my Wife and daughter to get out of the house. We are loaded camp Is setup just need to get there... 5.5 hour drive just to get there then getting everyone Set up...

12-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
In between archery elk and this tag we snuck in a doe antelope tag.

Well right now it is 5:45. I am waiting on my Wife and daughter to get out of the house. We are loaded camp Is setup just need to get there... 5.5 hour drive just to get there then getting everyone Set up...

12-Nov-19
Finally got on the road... Our first mishap... The wind sucked the lid off my daughter Clothes box. It You happen to be driving between Muddy Gap and Rawlins, Keep an eye out. My daughter is upset her $30 Brad and all her underwear got sucked out...

Luckily we caught it before we passed Walmart!

13-Nov-19
Finally got on the road... Our first mishap... The wind sucked the lid off my daughter Clothes box. It You happen to be driving between Muddy Gap and Rawlins, Keep an eye out. My daughter is upset her $30 Brad and all her underwear got sucked out...

Luckily we caught it before we passed Walmart!

13-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
37 degrees at midnight in November??? Uggh!!
coelker's embedded Photo
37 degrees at midnight in November??? Uggh!!
Well 12:30 am. Finally getting Ready to turn in. Got a specific spot and buck for the morning so we will get after it.

Weather is really bad. Moon is huge and bright and I can’t be happier...

13-Nov-19
Definitely a big full moon!

Look for those big bucks moving mid-day...

Good luck!

13-Nov-19
Looking forward to the story. Good luck! Love me a little Godsmack as well. :)

13-Nov-19
With 5 sons and a Wife who all enjoy the Hunt, it can be a Blessing and a Curse getting ready...I feel You Pain hahaha..GoodLuck...4finger

13-Nov-19
Good luck to you all!

13-Nov-19
Well 12:30 am. Finally getting Ready to turn in. Got a specific spot and buck for the morning so we will get after it.

Weather is really bad. Moon is huge and bright and I can’t be happier...

13-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
My favorite hunting vehicle. Too bad it is so hot and so dry. It’s a lot more fun in the mud and snow
coelker's embedded Photo
My favorite hunting vehicle. Too bad it is so hot and so dry. It’s a lot more fun in the mud and snow
Well this morning was a mix. We never saw the buck. We did end up seeing 44 deer 7 bucks. None were real big. The kids all fell asleep and the son is high and hot now.

13-Nov-19
If your son is high, better keep him off the legal weed and let him sleep it off!

Seriously, good stuff, looking forward to more!

13-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
Haha. Jaq...

We are hanging in camp for a few. My eyes are shot. Can’t glass anymore need some rest.

13-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
Not yet...
coelker's embedded Photo
Not yet...
So again. So the day was not horrible. We got a good start this morning. Headed over to where we had seen a buck my wife liked. There are 20 tags for deer in this unit right now. My wife and I have 2. We saw another nonresident with a tag and one more guy hunting. I think word is out about the buck we are looking for.

Tonight we went back to the same area. The deer started to show late and we moved and glassed a ton. Total for the day we saw 77 doe and 12 bucks. The only better buck looked to be a 3x4 but was not a first day buck.

13-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
Good eats. Deer back strap, Mac and cheese, salad...
coelker's embedded Photo
Good eats. Deer back strap, Mac and cheese, salad...
This is our first trip like this, we have never really had a family hunting trip. We have always been weekend warriors. So actually hanging out in camp. Having a fire, cooking meals etc. has been extremely fun.

The best part of a late season hunt so far has been getting back to camp early. We hunted til dark and were able to cook a full meal Tonight. Followed by cleaning everything up.

I also see a mean game of uno on tap For the evening...

13-Nov-19
This is great . Thank you for posting!!

13-Nov-19
Sounds like a great time!

13-Nov-19
Good times.

13-Nov-19
In for this ! Takes me back forty years...

13-Nov-19
Lookin good team Winn! Good luck! There’s plenty of good bucks to be had up there. Keep at it.

14-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
Last minute homework before bed....
coelker's embedded Photo
Last minute homework before bed....
Last night the son was busy doing his homework. He has a reading and is using the smart phone to answer the class questions over the book. Crazy how we can work these days. He is not even in school but getting a chunk of his assignments done at night before bed!

Well 5:30am up and dressed. We are heading back to the pretty buck my wife wants. We have been seeing lots of doe with no bucks. Minimal rut activity. It should be better than it is, but it is not.

A nice fire in the stove makes getting up easy. We are all looking forward to lunch at the pink pig today...

14-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo

14-Nov-19
Great stuff guys! Hopefully there is a buck in store today! I totally agree on the homework, it’s amazing how kids today can miss school and not really miss much. I’ve taken both of my kids on hunting trips this year and they never missed a beat in school. Good luck today!

15-Nov-19

coelker's embedded Photo
coelker's embedded Photo
The best way to ruin a good deer hunt? I will post story later. It is 11:15 and just hitting the sack!!!

15-Nov-19
Haha! Yeah!! Congrats on the full freezer.

15-Nov-19
awesome!

15-Nov-19
Dang! I need one of those!

15-Nov-19
Sweet!

Keep it rolling!!!

Mark

15-Nov-19
Great story so far!

15-Nov-19
Awesome! Now THAT'S how a lady goes out for groceries! Well done!

18-Nov-19
Sorry my phone dies in the middle of the hunt. Like dead, dead, dead. I am hoping to recover videos and photos and also have to share stories...

Be back soon hopefully with a wrap up!

18-Nov-19
Looking forward to it Rob! Looks like you were off to a great start!

28-Nov-19
This is a story I would like to hear the end of. Been checking for updates regularly.

28-Nov-19
I just figured your family got to killing so much stuff that you didn't have time to keep up on here! :) Hopefully that was the case!

29-Nov-19
Come on Rob. Finish it up? Love this thread and seeing you getting the whole family out there. Some of my kids best memories were from a wall tent with a wood fire burning. Who the hell cares about what weapon! Finish it up please. You're doing it right man!

• Sitka Gear