EmbryOklahoma 15-Nov-19
PAbowhunter1064 15-Nov-19
Eddiebobeddy 15-Nov-19
Sawpilot75 16-Nov-19
WV Mountaineer 16-Nov-19
14-Nov-19

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo
Greetings....been reading some great hunting/deer threads and thought I’d share a whitetail story from this past week. Whereas, this deer tale ultimately concludes on Nov 7th, it begins, like many others before it, this past August......

14-Nov-19
Good Lord!

14-Nov-19
Bring it...…………….

14-Nov-19
Let's do this!

14-Nov-19
WTF!

14-Nov-19
Random summer work day - that pic arrives via group text from my buddies (that own adjacent farms in southwest Wisconsin). I am staring at that pic thinking to myself...”can’t be real”...”they’re F’n with me”....”definitely photoshopped”.....I mean, come on, right?! What an animal, what a farm and what great friends.

14-Nov-19
Ok! You have my attention! Lol

14-Nov-19
Fast forward to the beginning of last week. I am driving back from an annual bowhunt at our family farm in Michigan’s UP and my buddy calls. “Any chance you can sneak away for a day or two this week? Big cold front coming-in Wednesday night.”

My response, “Is that a trick question?!”

Following a quick negotiation with my wife (lol) and some office work the following day we agreed to meet at the farm Wed (11/3) afternoon.

14-Nov-19
Sorry guys - on a plane working with intermittent Wifi.

By mid-afternoon we are on-stand and you can feel the cold-front arriving. Overall, deer movement was relatively slow where I was hunting (likely due to the noise I made getting into my stand - this was definitely not The Quiet Place). By late-afternoon the snow arrived and by last light I had seen approx four young deer total all afternoon. Notwithstanding the limited movement as my buddy/I drank a few beers by the fire we chatted about the upcoming morning hunt and the tremendous amount of promise. By the time we turned-in the temp was 31.

14-Nov-19
4:30am comes early (imo, even in deer season). We awoke to 3” of snow and a temp of 13 degrees. Eventual clear skies accompanied by a 7-10mph NW wind. Staring at the farm aerial, we strategized on which stands might prove most productive. Small issue to deal with - their farm had rolling hills and limited cellular service. I might have been able to ‘sneak’ away for a few days, but unfortunately that did now entail cancelling my work commitments. In reviewing my stand options, it became apparent that one in-particular (aka The Mud Puddle) was my best bet for cell service. By 5:15am, following a chilly Ranger ride, I was on-stand and excited to watch the morning unfold.

14-Nov-19
First hour of sunlight brought temps and zero deer movement. Honestly, was second-guessing my stand selection (much rather have been in the bottom).

FYI, I am hunting a north-facing stand with approximately 45 yards of flat-ground in-front of me (before it drops-off a blind ridge). A wide trail, approx 10 yards wide (with a muddy area in-front of the stand) runs along the ridge top approx 12yards from the base of the tree stand. Behind the stand is a relatively steep slope that drops approx 125 yards to a walnut orchard. Limited visibility to the front, excellent visibility to the rear.

14-Nov-19
I'm in. Land the plane lol.

14-Nov-19
At 7:45am I spot my first deer of the morning (fork). He makes is way up the rear slope and over the ridge (approx 45 yards to the west). Not the big boy we are looking for, yet encouraging nonetheless. 7:55am - a spike cruises through. I casually think to myself - ‘you might be freezing your ass off, but at least there are deer on their feet moving.’

At the turn of the hour, I can now honestly state in hindsight, it touched-off a very special 70-minutes in the Nov deer woods. You guys know how we bow hunters describe the rut, dream about it, visualize it? ....well this was all that & then some!

At 8am, my buddy and I had agreed to touch base re the bitter cold, breakfast, etc. I take my phone out of my pocket and begin texting him. No gloves - freezing hands (boring you guys with this detail as it comes into play later). While I am responding to his text a doe comes barreling across the ridge in-front of me, followed extremely closely by a mature WI 10-pt (let’s call him a no doubter shooter, a 160-class whitetail). They are coming fast and furious (45 yards, 30 yards, 10 yards). By the time I comprehend what the heck is happening they are under my stand and I had only managed to put my phone down. My bow is hanging next to the tree. Awesome. Whereas I fancy myself a pretty decent hunter, only word to describe me at this point is idiot. As quick as these two deer entered my life they were long gone down the slope.

14-Nov-19
Not 45 seconds later follows an 125” 8pt and a basket 6pt. Over the next 30 minutes 11 deer (8bucks and 3does) make there way through.

Including a 145” 9pt who comes-in on a string. I seen him chasing a doe previously and whereas I was holding out hope that the large 10pt would return, I committed to taking a shot at the 9pt should he present himself. Well, 10 minutes later there he was standing 16 yards broadside below my tree. I am experienced enough to know there are no layups in bowhunting, yet here I am thinking that exact thought.

Fully drawn, clear site picture....dead deer. Not so fast. I switched to a thumb release two years ago in an effort to improve my shooting and in advance of a goat hunt. All my practicing is done without gloves and all season, right up until I exposed my hand while texting, I had not been using gloves. Well, I made the mistake of putting them on after those deer blew through earlier.

Unfortunately for me, upon release my thumb stuck to the release and it completely torqued my bow arm. I missed that layup shot by two feet (shot in-front of him).

14-Nov-19
Which leads me (appreciate your patience) to the deer that started this thread. While standing dejected on-stand wondering why in-the-world I would put that glove-on (same thing happened to me in IL two years earlier / I should have known better).

I turned my back to the wind and stared-off down the slope behind me. Scanning the wood line below I notice movement along the backside of this thicket. As the deer steps-out into the open I can tell immediately he is a mature buck. Not clearly knowing how large or which specific buck it was, I simply stood there watching...hoping he would turn north and make his way towards me.

What started at 110 yards....became 85 yards...75 yards.....then he started moving parallel. At 65 yards, I threw a bleet call his way, which stopped him. He looked in my general direction and after 15 seconds or so continued on his way. Being careful not to call too much, I decide another bleet and grunt may do the trick.

The moment I hit the grunt call he swung his head high and turned completely in my direction. At that moment It was apparent he had purpose and commitment. He was coming and directly at me.

45, 40, 35, 30, 25...no shot, 20 (first pin)...at 15 yards I stopped him with a mouth call while fully drawn. Whereas he was quartering towards me pretty hard, I was confident I could place the arrow well, so I let it loose.

Those of you that harvest deer know the exact feeling that was flowing through my body. Following a short track - I came upon him

14-Nov-19

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo

14-Nov-19

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo

14-Nov-19

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo

14-Nov-19

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo

14-Nov-19

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo

14-Nov-19
WOW, awesome story, and a great buck! Congrats!

14-Nov-19
Wow! That's an awesome buck! Congrats!

14-Nov-19
Super Buck!!

14-Nov-19
Man what an awesome deer!!!! Congrats

14-Nov-19
That is a thing of beauty!

14-Nov-19
Wow! Double Wow!

14-Nov-19

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo
Thanks fellas appreciate the kind comments as well as your patience with the thread.

For those that may have interest, taxidermist has him at 190 6/8 gross.

The Ranger pic and this truck one provide pretty good perspective on his size imo.

14-Nov-19

Kodiak  's embedded Photo

14-Nov-19

14-Nov-19
Tremendous animal.

14-Nov-19
Superbly executed hunt and told story. Wow. Wow. Wow

14-Nov-19
Wow, wow, wow...... buck of a lifetime!

Huge congrats and great story!

14-Nov-19
Good Gawd. Thats a spectacular whitetail! Congrats! thanks for sharing!!!

14-Nov-19
Nice one. Your miss was a blessing in disguise. It's funny how things turn sometimes. Congratulations.

14-Nov-19
Amazing buck!

Great story, big Congrats!

14-Nov-19
Awesome deer! My screw up never turn out that well! Way not to give up

14-Nov-19
Sounds like a great morning with an awesome ending.

14-Nov-19
I missed a chip shot at a little 5x4 Elk the first day of my first ever out west bowhunt. Made a perfect double lung shot on a 370” 7x6 on day two. Rather be lucky than good any day! Gorgeous buck Kris, congrats! And great job on the story/pics, thanks for posting.

14-Nov-19
Matching forked G2's and a giant frame! That is one of the coolest whitetails I have ever seen! Congratulations on a mighty nice buck!

14-Nov-19
Congrats!!

14-Nov-19
Congratulations... that is a good one. Beautiful buck.

14-Nov-19
Great buck, congrats.

14-Nov-19
Wow. Strait up wow. Amazing deer. Congrats man.

14-Nov-19
Amazing animal and even better story. Way to go!!! Hunter

14-Nov-19
Fantastic story!! We grow some big deer in SW Wisconsin!

14-Nov-19
Holy smokes! Awesome buck, congrats!

14-Nov-19
Wow! Impressive buck and thanks for taking us along the ride with your story.

14-Nov-19
Holy moly!!!!!! What a buck and what a story!!!! Congrats!!

14-Nov-19
Great buck and story.

14-Nov-19
To quote cnelk, HOLY SHIT !!!

That’s a super buck and an even better story ! Congratulations on the deer of a lifetime !

14-Nov-19
Wow! Congrats!

14-Nov-19
I have to admit I fast forwarded to see the pics, going back to read now. Slammer buck!

15-Nov-19
What a great buck, I love those split G2's. Well done

15-Nov-19
Incredible buck for sure! Great storytelling as well. Congrats on a beautiful buck!

15-Nov-19
Gorgeous buck! Love his rack configuration with those matching split g2s. Definitely a buck of a lifetime!

15-Nov-19
Great story and beautiful buck! Congrats!!

15-Nov-19
Good gravy! Congratulations on a great buck!

15-Nov-19
Fantastic write up on an epic hunt! Congratulations!!! Whatta’ buck!!!!

15-Nov-19
Awesome deer. Congratulations on a deer of a lifetime. Nice Muley! :)

16-Nov-19
Wow! That is what it’s all about. What a deer. Congratulations!

16-Nov-19
Unbelievable deer. Congrats man.

• Sitka Gear