9er 17-Nov-19
Predeter 18-Nov-19
kota-man 18-Nov-19
Ermine 21-Nov-19
SDHNTR(home) 23-Nov-19
9er 24-Nov-19
jdee 24-Nov-19
15-Nov-19
I have have a full-size Velbon aluminum tripod for 15 years and it has served me well. With a Jim White (rip!) panhead. It works well, it’s just a heavy SOB! I figure it’s probably time for an upgrade. I have not paid attention to advancements in this type of gear. I looked around at some options and got overwhelmed.

So what do I want? Carbon fiber? Cost is less of an issue them function and light weight. I want something I can stand up behind, but also packs small enough to carry and won’t feel like a boat anchor.

Ideas? Models?

15-Nov-19
I’m following this thread. I’m due too.

15-Nov-19
is this for a camera or to rest a rifle on or spotting scope or something else just curios never needed one. I do never leave the house without my shooting sticks when gun hunting

15-Nov-19
Slik cf634

15-Nov-19
I would do a search on rokslide. Right now I am using slik 624 and 634, for heads I have outdoorsmen micro pan head and regular pan head for my larger spotters. I also have an ultra right ball head from really right stuff.

15-Nov-19
For binos, both 10’s and 15x’s, And a 65 mil spotter.

15-Nov-19
For binos, both 10’s and 15x’s, And a 65 mil spotter.

15-Nov-19
Trial153, what does your system weigh?

15-Nov-19
Slik 624 and Benro S2 head, little over 3lb I believe. Really like the tripod, the head is good but I'm looking hard at upgrading to the outdoorsmans pan head.

15-Nov-19
+1 Trial....check out Rokslide.

15-Nov-19
How tall are you guys using the Slik 624? Can you stand up comfortably behind it? Is it stable enough to use a spotter at 20X+?

15-Nov-19
Definitely can't use the 624 for standing use. I think it maxes out at 4 feet.

I'd stay its stable for its weight but that's kind of the tradeoff with these lightweight set ups. You can hang a weight off of it for extra stability but I never have.

16-Nov-19
Slik 634. Do yourself a favor a don’t get a benro. Use the same head you have but if you want new look at the Sirui va-5 or outdoorsmans. Manfrotto makes a good head too.

17-Nov-19
I can’t imagine why people would say DONT get a Benro head. The slik Tripod is great but for the weight/money I have yet to use a head that beats a Benro S2 for a 65mm spotter

17-Nov-19
Maybe I have a faulty benro but for the same price I bought a manfrotto that is 100% better. The benro has lots of slop and with my 65mm spotter it won’t keep from tipping. And the other benro a friend has is the same way. I will sell the benro if anyone wants it?

18-Nov-19
I do a lot of glassing through binoculars on my tripod and I like to keep the tripod head tight enough so that it will stay put when I look away for a minute, but loose enough that I can pan with it. I've found the benro has a tiny bit of creep to the left unless I have it completely locked down, that's my only complaint with it.

18-Nov-19
I have the Outdoorsman system. It’s expensive but I’ve seen no reason to change/upgrade after 10 years. The number of guides I’ve seen using this system over the years speaks volumes to its quality. It is honestly one of the few pieces of gear that I’m not constantly changing.

21-Nov-19
I have a pro master Carbon with outdoorsman pan head

23-Nov-19
I know the Outdoorsmans system is the gold standard and I have played around with their tripods too. They are nice, but I was hoping for something lighter. It’s still a bear to lug around all day. At least the tall one is.

24-Nov-19
Gitzo makes a great tripod as well

24-Nov-19
Call Cameralandny they will answer any question you have about tripods, panheads, quick connects etc. Really good people and they take care of their customers no matter where you live.

• Sitka Gear