Contributors to this thread:
NEIAbowhunter 17-Nov-19
cnelk 17-Nov-19
timex 17-Nov-19
timex 17-Nov-19
timex 17-Nov-19
cnelk 18-Nov-19
17-Nov-19
I like them, but I'm tired of buying commercial seasoning blends for my jerky, sticks, and other things that I make. I'd like to try coming up with my own recipes but I don't want to waste a several pounds of meat in the process. Is there a sort of standard formula for how much salt/other seasonings go into say a pound batch that I can multiply if it turns out really well? I know curing salt is pretty set for the amount. I grind everything, I haven't tried to make any whole muscle jerky.

17-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
You’re going to want to use some sort of cure. Try Morton Tender Quick.

Here’s is a homemade recipe that is good for 10lbs of breakfast sausage

17-Nov-19

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
iv never done ground jerky only sliced meat never weighed it but I usually do two of the flat roasts in a ham I slice the meat roughly 1/4 " in a large Ziploc I put 1/2 cup tender quick 2 cups water & the sliced meat & refrigerate for 24 hours then rince meat thouroly then in a large bowl mix the meat & 1/2 cup brown sugar & 1 to 3 tablespoons black pepper I like 3 but the amount depends on personal preference once mixed put back in Ziploc for another 24 hours in the fridge then I use a smoker with maskeet but I'm sure you could use a dehydrator. just don't dry out to much. sometimes in cooking simple is better. I'm not knocking jerky recipes with lots of ingredients but iv been useing this simple method for probably 15 years & everyone loves it

17-Nov-19

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
I use hardwood lump coals & maskeet chunks soaked in water

17-Nov-19
cnelk...I will try your sausage recipe how much pork do you add to the venison ? we usually put a 10# pork shoulder in with 40#s venison. think ill try your seasonings with an estimated 10#s of my burger mixture & see how it turns out. thanks

18-Nov-19
Its easy to overdo the fat % in wild game. I just made a bunch of summer sausage over the weekend and used a 20% ratio. It was too much. I'll go back to 10%

• Sitka Gear