butcherboy 19-Nov-19
Ucsdryder 19-Nov-19
Ucsdryder 24-Nov-19
Nick Muche 24-Nov-19
Ucsdryder 24-Nov-19
18-Nov-19

butcherboy's embedded Photo
Country fried elk steak, mashed taters, white gravy for supper! One of my favorites. Of course, wouldn’t be complete without some roasted NM green chili.

18-Nov-19
Looks awesome!

18-Nov-19
What cut is that?

18-Nov-19
Probably from the bottom round. I usually tenderize everything except the backstraps and tenderloins.

18-Nov-19
I’m always looking for something to do with the round. How about a step by step, that looks delicious.

18-Nov-19
oh, man!

18-Nov-19
the way we do it but rarely since my heart attack in 2010 is to take almost any cut of venison but especially the tougher ones. slice it roughly 1" thick then with a meat pounder on a butcher block pound the meat out to 1/2" thick. then mix a couple eggs & a little milk in bowl dredge meat thrue egg wash then cover with flour seasoned with salt & pepper & pan fry in a large iron skillet then when done make gravy with drippings in pan. absolutely one of the best ways to cook the tougher cuts of meat but unfortunately NOT A VERY heart healthy way to cook something as good for you as wild game

18-Nov-19
Not fair Chad!

18-Nov-19
I usually cut my steaks 1/2” then run through the tenderizer at least twice, sometimes 3 depending on the cut and how thick it is. I put the steaks in a gallon ziplock with seasoned flour then dredge in a egg/milk wash. After this it goes back into the gallon ziplock for a second coating. Put a little bit of vegetable oil or canola oil in a cast iron skillet and get the oil hot. Place the steak in and fry until it’s golden brown then turn it over and fry the other side. You don’t want to completely cover it with the oil. When it’s cooked then make the gravy from the drippings using new flour and milk. I also try to find oil that is low in cholesterol.

Sometimes I slice steak 1/4 and don’t tenderize them. Fry in a hot skillet with a little oil or butter. 30 seconds each side and it’s done. If you don’t have a tenderizer then just pound it out with tenderizing meat mallet.

As for the hot green chili, sorry, you have to come to NM to get that! It goes on almost every meal here. Lol

18-Nov-19
Heart healthy be damned ! I’m eating that...

19-Nov-19
Oh man that look goooood!

19-Nov-19
Do it the same way as butcherboy. Love me some chicken fried steak!

And we can get some pretty darn good green chili up here in Colorado as well... Just gotta make sure it’s from Hatch, New Mexico!!!

19-Nov-19
Why not just put the chiles in the gravy? Looks great and one of my favs as well

19-Nov-19
What is your guys tenderizer method of choice?

19-Nov-19
Jaccurd for me Ucs.

19-Nov-19
I have a hand crank one I got from cabelas that works very well. If you have a newer style grinder, you can probably get an attachment

19-Nov-19
I have a Hobart like the one that used to sit on the meat counter at the grocery store, it might be the same one.

19-Nov-19
I use a Jaccard as well, but sometimes just use a heavy rubber spoon and beat the crap out of it.

19-Nov-19
I use an electric tenderizer. We run a lot of wild game and beef through it all year.

We do put the gc in the gravy sometimes. If you do, it’s better if it’s fresh and chopped. When it’s roasted and peeled it works better on the side.

We put gc in everything and on everything it seems like. That’s the official question or statement here. “Red, green, or Christmas?” Lol

19-Nov-19

HDE's embedded Photo
HDE's embedded Photo
Mine is bona-fide NM oryx chicken fry, sauteed 'shrooms, and brown gravy dipping sauce.

19-Nov-19
My favorite way of cooking and eating game. I always tenderize it’s first. I don’t think you can beat that dish right there.

19-Nov-19
Has anyone used the LEM tenderizer/jerky slicer attachment? Thought that might be my next meat processing purchase.

19-Nov-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Made some with moose today, incredible.

19-Nov-19

It’s not country fried but still delicious. Elk tacos for supper tonight!

19-Nov-19
I have a jaccard in the mail. Thanks nick!

24-Nov-19
The gravy is done. Steaks are going in the pan in a few minutes. Can’t wait!

24-Nov-19
Nice! I’m sure it’ll be great but using the grease from the steak to make the gravy is even better!

24-Nov-19
The jaccard is worth every penny plus more! Turned out great. Learned a few things. Definitely going to add it to the rotation.

• Sitka Gear