KHNC 21-Nov-19
KHNC 21-Nov-19
KHNC 21-Nov-19
standswittaknife 21-Nov-19
elkmtngear 21-Nov-19
KHNC 22-Nov-19
KHNC 26-Nov-19
19-Nov-19
Starting this to tell my Ohio whitetail rut hunt from last week. It was action packed and confirmed i have trouble shooting at live critters these days! ;) I will add story and photos as i can from work.

19-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
Morning of day 1. This 9pt had been passed by dan, his dad and now me. He was begging for an arrow. If only he does this next year.
KHNC's embedded Photo
Morning of day 1. This 9pt had been passed by dan, his dad and now me. He was begging for an arrow. If only he does this next year.
I have a good buddy that owns a farm in SW Ohio, just below Cincinnati. We have hunted many places together over the last few years. This was the first time traveling up to his farm to hunt the rut. It was more than I expected. Hunt dates were 11-9 thru the morning of 11-17.

Day 1: Me , Dan and our other good friend Jim were at it for the weekend. Dan had just had a baby girl, so his hunt time was "as available". Paternity leave does work out for all parties without a doubt. :) I hunted the "oak stand" on the morning sit. Started the day seeing lots of deer. The rut activity was in full swing. Several small bucks trolled the ridge in search of does. Passed up a really nice 9pt late morning. Dan and his dad had seen this buck many times already. He will be a real trophy if he survives til next year!

19-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
Pretty sure this is the big 10 from day 1 evening.
KHNC's embedded Photo
Pretty sure this is the big 10 from day 1 evening.
The afternoon, after checking a few cameras, I decided to hunt the "field stand". All three of us had seen plenty of deer, with Dan and Jim both seeing shooter bucks. This stand was on top of a ridge line with a partially mowed field and food plot. Since August, many bucks had their photo taken at this location. A few of these were true giants. It take long for deer to start moving into the area. Finally, a mature doe worked her way by the stand. This was the best "bait" possible! Shortly after, a spike rolled in and promptly chased her off! The little ass didn't realize I needed her to hang around a while to bring in a bruiser! :) As first timers luck would have it, about 45 mins before dark I spotted a huge buck moving thru the thicket. Immediately I said out loud, Oh F___! It was that type of buck! LOL. I grabbed my bow off the hanger and stood in about the same motion. He had already closed the distance to 25 yards and still heading straight to me. I drew my bow and followed his progress with my 20yd pin. It was happening fast! 15yds, 10yd, then 7yds, still no shot angle. He finally got broadside at 6-7 yds as he stared into the open field. I could tell he was starting to get nervous. Old bucks don't end up that way by being dumb. Just as I am about to release the arrow, I thought about looking down to make sure my limb and cam were going to clear the stand arm rest. "Old lesson learned". They were not! And I had already been at full draw for some time. As quietly as possible , I shifted left in the stand to clear the arm rest. My quiver was still touching, but it looked good to go. I settled the pin just behind his shoulder and eased into back tension to trigger the shot. At the shot i saw my lighted nock do something crazy in the air and it landed about 10 feet to the right of the buck. He bolted down the hill and stopped at 25 yds. I nocked a 2nd arrow in what seemed like world record time and came back to full draw. Amazingly, it appeared i would get a 2nd shot as the buck started side hilling to the left. This put him quartering away again at 18 yards. Chip shot......right into a tree!!!!!!!!! My arrow exploded! At first , I thought I had hit him on the second attempt. He slowly walked off down the hill, apparently unscathed. After waiting a bit, I climbed down to look at my arrows to see what had transpired. To my amazement, my first arrow lay near the tree, broken off at the insert and the nock missing. 5-6 inches of light blood and hair on it. I hit the buck evidently, and got no penetration for some reason. Well crap!! Never had that happen before. 455 gr arrow from a 70lb bow at 7 yds. This will remain a mystery for the rest of my life. I am confident i didnt hit the scapula or shoulder area at all. The second arrow was destroyed , several pieces scattered in the area he was standing. No blood was found. I spent a couple hours the next morning combing the thick area just in case. No buck , it appears he was fine.

19-Nov-19
TBC

19-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
Really nice 8pt I almost decided to shoot
KHNC's embedded Photo
Really nice 8pt I almost decided to shoot
KHNC's embedded Photo
Afternoon sit in a new setup. Not alot of activity , but promising area.
KHNC's embedded Photo
Afternoon sit in a new setup. Not alot of activity , but promising area.
Day 2- Nothing worthy of mention. Looked for the 10pt all morning. Saw a few does and some small bucks in the afternoon.

Day 3- The air temp increased quite a bit, however we had a big cold front with snow in the forecast coming in the next day or so. I decided to sit the Oak Stand again for the morning hunt. Action was fast and furious as bucks were running does by my stand on several occasions. Finally, A really nice 8pt was approaching my wheelhouse. As I readied for the shot, i decided he was still a little young and passed him at 20 yards. I had the fever for a giant on this hunt! That is a desire that is very hard to shake, once it hits you. Of course, he stayed around for a while , offering several easy opportunities. Another one that will be really nice next year!

19-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
Late september pic of big 9 I missed in field
KHNC's embedded Photo
Late september pic of big 9 I missed in field
Day 4- Woke up to high winds, single digit temps and several inches of snow. I knew it was going to be a rough day in the woods! On me, not the deer. Luckily, I had my heater body suit. It is a pain to use it ,but the only way i can sit for many hours at a time. I was heading back to the new stand that me and Jim had hung over the weekend. It was on the edge of a long narrow field and another ridge line with bedding area down below. An hour after daylight , a really big 10 trotted across the field and into the bedding area. I grabbed my rattle bag and lightly rattled to get his attention. He ignored it, but a really nice 9 popped out just across the field at 67 yards. He looped down wind to try and get my scent. Since he stayed in the woods, and was reluctant to come out in the open, he didnt detect me in the tree. Just a short while later, I saw him with a doe in a CRP field just across the property line. Eventually, the doe came into my field, I grabbed my bow, as i knew he wasnt far behind.

19-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
Sunrise on Day 4
KHNC's embedded Photo
Sunrise on Day 4

20-Nov-19
As the buck entered my field i came to full draw. The wind was howling, so I knew I had to let him get close. The doe worked her way to about 20 yards. He was standing solid at 35. For one brief moment, the wind seemed to subside. I squeezed my shoulder blades together for the release....MISS!!! Shot right in front of him! Not sure it was the clothing and the weather, or if my nerves got the best of me. But, he was gone with the doe in a flash. Since the wind was changing direction for the next couple of days, I decided to hang a set on the opposite side of the field. Near a corner , where the neighbors CRP field butts up to the woods. I had watched a couple of 8pts sizing each other up on a trail that led into the treeline from the neighbors place.

20-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
Nice 8 i was close to drawing on. He slipped into the tree line. This pic was early the last morning of my hunt.
KHNC's embedded Photo
Nice 8 i was close to drawing on. He slipped into the tree line. This pic was early the last morning of my hunt.
KHNC's embedded Photo
New setup across from the other stand. Worked out better for morning hunt due to thermals in the ravine.
KHNC's embedded Photo
New setup across from the other stand. Worked out better for morning hunt due to thermals in the ravine.
Day 5- Got into the stand well before light. First light came and a big shooter buck was out in the neighbors CRP with a doe. Unfortunately, I think the neighbor came in well after light to hunt, spooking both deer. About an hour later, a nice 9pt crossed the same field heading my way. He was a borderline shooter. I didnt have to make the choice, as he never came onto our side of the line, and stayed out of range. Had few small bucks and some does late morning. Stayed in this spot for the evening hunt as well. At 3pm, another truly GIANT buck crossed our field trolling for does. It just amazes me every time I hunt a mid-western state. The body size and antlers of these deer are nothing like what we have in the Southern states. This fueled my adrenaline rush for the afternoon. Just before last legal time, a nice 8pt worked its way along the field edge. I decided it was good enough to try and take him. Just as I was about to draw, he cut into the woods on another trail. We did get a pic of him a few days later.

20-Nov-19
great write up keep it coming, thanks

20-Nov-19
Bring it on !

21-Nov-19
Day 6- The wind had made a slight change so I decided to go back to the other side of the field to the original stand I had sat a few days earlier. About an hour after daylight I had not saw a deer. I decided to use my doe bleat call a few times. I had an old M.A.D. heat bleat with me. I have not used it with any success in the past. However, after the second bleat, a young 7pt came running out of the CRP and eventually was 15 yards from my tree. If only it was bigger. "That's what she said". ;) That afternoon I went back to the "field stand". Pretty uneventful sit, saw a few does and a spike. I had hopes the big 10 from day 1 would magically appear again.

21-Nov-19
Day 7- The Heavens opened, and the big bucks started moving again......

21-Nov-19
Appears you might have some shooting bugs to work out. Might it be the extra clothing? Have you tried some practice shots with your hunting arrows. Good luck, make the most of your great opportunity.

21-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
Little guy wishing mama didnt have custody. Smallest fawn ive seen in November.
KHNC's embedded Photo
Little guy wishing mama didnt have custody. Smallest fawn ive seen in November.
Day 7- The Heavens opened, and the big bucks started moving again...... I ended up back on the opposite side of the field in the new set again. Right away I began seeing deer as soon as it was light. Several does and a small buck moving in the CRP. One nice 7pt decided to show himself. Not a shooter, but action none the less. He crossed the CRP to check out a doe. Four does came up from the ravine across the field and crossed into the CRP. I grabbed my bow again and got ready. Soon I hear chasing, and a doe appears with a good buck in tow! They circle a couple of times, going in and out of the woods. All this happens just out of range, and no shooting lanes. Anyway , I am loving the action! They eventually leave. A doe and a SPOTTED fawn work their way under my tree. This is mid november! NO way a fawn should be that small with spots. A first for me. Shortly after, another small buck appears. He harassed the mama doe for a bit before moving on. Another future trophy in the making.

21-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
KHNC's embedded Photo

21-Nov-19
Around 11 I decided to get down and go eat some lunch at the truck. On my way out, I walked past a small cluster of trees on the edge of the field. This was right where me and Jim had parked the UTV for several days in a row. This morning, I chose to bring my truck and walk a few extra hundred yards due to the field being muddy. I stopped at the trees to look around. Not 20 yards away a giant buck busted out of the tree cluster. It appeared that it could possibly be the big 10 I had shot at on day 1. He headed across the field and into the woods, directly below one the stands I had been hunting the previous day or so. I needed to think about my strategy, look at the wind direction and decide what to do. The big buck activity had definitely sprang back to life! I assume the first wave of estrus does were done and they were on their feet searching again. I guess I cant blame them!

21-Nov-19
Climbed back in the same tree for the afternoon.The wind was still right and deer sightings were plentiful enough to stick with it one more sit. Fairly uneventful, however, the nice 9pt did come out on the treeline on the other side of the neighbors CRP. As I glassed the buck, I noticed the neighbor in a tree. He had an arrow nocked and was watching the buck. I guess he decided it was a shooter after all. The buck stood still for several minutes on the field edge.

21-Nov-19
He finally decided to walk directly towards the neighbors stand. I watched him start to draw. He must have made some noise, or moved at the wrong time though. The buck blew out at mach 10! I could feel his disappointment from across the field. Im pretty sure he had no idea I was in a stand. But, remember, its likely he spooked the giant buck the other morning by coming in the woods late. Karma. :)

21-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
World Class Main Frame 8
KHNC's embedded Photo
World Class Main Frame 8
Day 8- The quest for this buck begins! My buddy Dan had missed this one back in October. Im sure it was a heartbreaker for him. He was confident he hit it from the "field stand" one evening just before dark. However, no arrow recovered, no sign of blood and a VERY extensive grid search revealed zero evidence of a hit. Then he showed back up on camera a week or so later. Relief! Here is pic of him from September.

21-Nov-19
A spotted fawn in November,,,, How crazy is that! enjoying the write up buddy ,keep at it.

21-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
Little Dude just trolling for chicks
KHNC's embedded Photo
Little Dude just trolling for chicks
The morning hunt on day 8 was mostly uneventful. Just a small buck and a doe here and there. Made the decision, based on an E/NE wind direction to hunt in the woods again. Dan & Jim have a stand about mid-way up the mountain that is just below part of the old bean field. It is also situated at the bottom of the big hollow that I had been hunting the upper part of. A great location with plenty of sign. Once I got over there, and was walking in, I realized there was a tremendous amount of tracks in the old road. I was a little annoyed with myself for not checking that area again sooner. Me and Jim had actually scouted it on day 2 a little. Didnt take long for a little buck to walk up the road under my stand. Plenty of buck sightings this week!

21-Nov-19
Just after 2p, I spotted a huge 8 point at 50 yds. He was on a path to put himself in a shooting lane at 40 yards. Once again, I grabbed my bow thinking this was it! Clipped on my release and waited, anticipating him coming in a clear lane. It wasnt to be, as he jumped up on the bank and disappeared into an old growth thicket. Ugghh, they keep one step ahead of me. At the time , I didnt even realize this was the giant 8 Dan had missed last month. I remained standing and watching for him to reappear for about 45 minutes. It was beautiful afternoon, sunny and warming up a little. A nice change from the frigid temps of the week. I sat down and began to daydream about killing a big buck and watching the other direction for a bit. Well, you guessed it! A few minutes later, I glanced to my right and there he was!! Standing in a clear lane at 35 yards!!! UGGGGHH!!! The farm owner was mowing and I didnt hear him walking in the leaves below. I was able to grab my bow without spooking him, but by the time I got in position he was back in the thick stuff. I was able to watch him walk out of my life again after a couple minutes. I assumed that was it, but regardless, I was going to stand til dark!! Almost two hours later, the unbelievable happened. He appeared again in the exact spot I had originally spotted him. This time he was heading my direction. I was ready, my bow in easy reach. This was very cautious deer. Each step carefully thought out, and moving very slowly. He was side hilling directly behind me. Of course, the tree I was in prevented a shot at 30-35 yards. However, he was on a path to hit an opening at 44 yards, my only chance at the moment. As he reached the spot, I was ready, release attached and prepared to draw. As he hit the opening, doubt crept into my head. I decided not to take the shot. Surely, on this path, he will come on down the old road just like most all of the other deer usually do. I would have an easy 20 yard shot if so. For what seemed an eternity, he stood there in the open, tempting me. Not having any idea he had a date with death, yet again. I guess he got big for a reason, he continued side hill, crossing the road and getting farther away. With nothing else to do, I watched him continue across the ravine. I had to make sure he was well away before I attempted to get down. As dark approached , I heard another buck grunting in the thicket, with what I assumed a doe running around. It was time to get down, one morning left.

21-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
Cruising by in front of my other stand just before light on last day
KHNC's embedded Photo
Cruising by in front of my other stand just before light on last day
Day 9-Morning hunt I knew I had to everything possible to get in the stand as quietly as possible. This stand is normally used for evening hunts due to access. No way I could resist trying it again after yesterdays encounter with the monster 8. I had 3 hours to hunt before I had to make the drive back to NC. I needed to make it count. I parked a long way from the woods and snuck in as quiet as possible. It was deathly quiet with no wind, and very cold. The leaves crunched as I walked, and the ground was frozen. I tried to sound like a deer , taking a few steps at a time. I started early so I would have plenty of time to stalk my way in. As I arrived at the tree, a deer jumped up and ran off a short distance away. It didnt blow ,and I could hear it walking around. I climbed up as quickly and quietly as possible, and pulled up my bow. Just as I grabbed the bow, the doe popped out in the old road just a few yards away. I could easily see her in the moonlight. Very curious but not spooked. Getting in was a success. Now, to wait for daylight and hopefully the huge 8! Time passed slowly. Once the twilight passed and i could see, I heard another deer coming from up high. Sure enough, it was the huge 8 again! I couldn't believe it. I was able to have encounter #4 with the same giant buck in two days. Killing it was not to be though. 65 yards away and Sloowwwwlllyyyyy creeping his way thru the thick stuff. At that moment, I desperately needed my stand in a cedar tree about 40 yds away. The perfect tree, and I had just spotted it!! Maybe next time. As Dan's camera showed me, he had walked in front of the upper field stand just before first light. A true giant I was glad to share the woods with. Hopefully Dan or Jim will tag him this season!

21-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
Grady's 1 hour buck!
KHNC's embedded Photo
Grady's 1 hour buck!
On a side note, Dan's daddy Grady doesnt mess around. He jumped in the field stand at 4p on Sunday afternoon and killed this nice 10pt at 5p. I like Grady. Showing the kids hows its done!!

21-Nov-19
fun ride. I love Ohio and can't wait to go back. Hope this year but due to obligations may not happen.

21-Nov-19
Must be awesome to see so many great bucks in the rut...great story and pics, Kenny!

22-Nov-19
Thanks Jeff! He has a great farm up there. Hope to get to go back next year.

26-Nov-19

KHNC's embedded Photo
KHNC's embedded Photo
Got an update yesterday on the 10pt I slightly wounded on day one. He lost an antler in a fight at some point after i shot him. We were confident he had survived the no penetration arrow I stuck him with. Very relieved to get photo confirmation of his survival. Hopefully he will get a pass during gun season next week by anyone who sees him.

• Sitka Gear