db999 06-Feb-20
Ghost425 06-Feb-20
Brian M. 06-Feb-20
ELKMAN 07-Feb-20
db999 09-Apr-20
HiMtnHnter 09-Apr-20
Ridgefire 10-Apr-20
21-Nov-19
Looking at options for making jerky. Currently I use a smoker and it works well but requires some attention every 40-60 minutes (depends on the temp and thickness of cut). Who uses a dehydrator? Advantages? Who uses the kitchen oven? Advantages? Thanks

21-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I use a dehydrator. Ground meat and a jerky gun. A 2lb batch will take about 4hrs.

21-Nov-19
For whole muscle jerky, I prefer my pellet grill over my Masterbuilt electric smoker.

21-Nov-19
I also use a dehydrator, had the same one as Cnelk but switched to a bigger model from Cabelas. I eat a lot of jerky and it usually takes 4-5 hours. I have 3 recipes that are killer, cracked peppercorn, mild and smoky, and sweet & hot.

21-Nov-19
I used a dehydrator for my jerky and have tried both ground and whole muscle. In the dehydrator I tend to like the whole muscle.

Some other great stuff I have made: I picked up a Cabelas Sausage Stuffer and make meat sticks. I think I like those better than the jerky. I make them about 8 inches long and I keep them in the fridge.

I've also made breakfast sausage patties in bulk. The trick for the taste was to mix the seasoning, and fry up one that is the size of a nickle. If it tastes right, make them all. If it needs more flavor, add more spices. Once I have that flavor, I cook up about 30 or so (I would guess 5 lbs of ground),. Then I freeze them for later. When I want one, 50 seconds in the microwave and I'm out the door.

21-Nov-19

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
I do sliced meat in a smoker with lump hardwood coal & maskeet chunks soaked prior to smoking. 150 to 200 degrees for 2 to 3 hours depending on thickness of meat & weather conditions

21-Nov-19
Easiest method I have found and only way I make jerky now. Cabelas jerky slicer and dehydrator. 6 hours at 160 and you are done. I fill mine up before I go to bed and before I leave for work, wake up or come home to perfect jerky.

21-Nov-19
Ghost 425, I am always up for a good jerky recipe. I use a dehydrator with muscle cuts.

21-Nov-19
I also use a dehydrator and jerky gun with ground meat. Uniform thickness so it's all done at the same time with no tending, 3-1/2 hours at 160 degrees works for me.

21-Nov-19

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
this actually is a smoked fish recipe the only difference is with fish I use kosher salt & with meat I use Morton tender quick. slice meat 1/4 to 3/8 I usually do 2 of the flat muscle peices in a deer ham in a large Ziploc mix 1/2 cut tender quick 2 cups water add meat & refrigerate over night then rince & mix in a bowl 1/2 cup brown sugar & 1 to 3 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper add meat thouroly mix put back in Ziploc & in fridge for 24 hours then smoke. I use a fire box smoker & maskeet. 2 to 3 hours @ 150 to 200 degrees

21-Nov-19
"Cabelas jerky slicer and dehydrator. 6 hours at 160 and you are done."

So how thick are you slicing it? I just did a batch with that time and degree, but they ended up super dry. We still ate them, but they could have been better. I will say, it was sliced pretty thin.

21-Nov-19
Nick,

I've made tons of jerky both ground through a cannon and whole muscle. There is no real science, check the thinnest pcs of your batch for the consistency you want then start pulling pieces as they get done.

I've cooked it in the oven, dehydrator. and my lousiana grill and by far smoked is best

21-Nov-19
Black Peppercorn Jerky Recipe:

1 cup Wochestershire Sauce

1/4 cup Soy Sauce

2 Tbsp Canning Salt

3 Tbsp Ground black pepper

1 Tbsp Garlic powder

1 Tbsp Onion powder

1 1/2 Tsp Morton’s Tender Quick

5 lbs Venison, Elk, or Moose

Marinade 1-2 days and drain thoroughly before dehydrating. Season with cracked pepper on top of jerky strips before drying. Put in dehydrator on 155 degrees for 5 hours or to your preference and enjoy. I love this recipe and hope you guys do too. If you try it out, tell me what you think.

21-Nov-19
I'd like to hear your sweet hot recipe Ghost.

21-Nov-19
Gotcha

21-Nov-19
One sec Nick, I’m digging it out now for you. You’re gonna love this one.

21-Nov-19
Hot & Spicy Jerky Recipe:

1 cup Soy Sauce

1/2 cup Brown Sugar

1/4 cup Molasses

1/4 cup Worchestershire Sauce

2 Tbsp Garlic Powder

2 Tbsp Onion Powder

2 Tbsp Canning Salt

1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes

1 Tbsp Black Pepper Flakes

2 Tsp Morton’s Tender Quick

1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper

5 lbs Venison, Elk or Moose

Marinate 1-2 days and drain thouroughly before dehydrating. Put in dehydrator on 155 degrees for 5 hours or to your preference and enjoy. I love this recipe and hope you guys do too. If you try it out, tell me what you think.

21-Nov-19
FYI - Something I learned last weekend was when using an electric smoker outside and it’s nice and sunny out, the sun can add 20+ degrees to your smoker. It kinda messed up my fat in my summer sausages.

22-Nov-19
Yum! Jerky, summer sausages, snack sticks, sounds like heaven to me!!!!

22-Nov-19
Thanks, Ghost....sounds good!

22-Nov-19

Smtn10PT's embedded Photo
Smtn10PT's embedded Photo
Nick, The jerky slicer allows you to drop a cut of muscle into the top and you turn the handle and a series of knives cut every piece into the same size strip. There are two rollers with blades, very fast and very uniform cuts. I have found the jerky is a little shy of done at 5.5 hours at 160, but you could probably get away with that, depends how you like it. Also the way you store it, fully sealed or partially sealed will make a difference in moisture content.

22-Nov-19
I'd love to see more recipes & for a long time I used worcestershire -soysause-teriyaki based with lots of other spice rack ingredients. then I started smoking fish & realized that salt & (SMOKE) is all that's required for fish. sugar adds sweetness & a glase & pepper adds another flavor. when I tried this with venison I had an ahhhh moment sometimes simple is better in cooking

22-Nov-19
This what I use to brine my lake trout - then smoke. Im sure it would work good for jerky too - just add some cure

1 cup soy sauce > 1/4 cup brown sugar > 3 TBSP salt > 2 TBSP black pepper > 2 TBSP BBQ sauce

Mix well with a fork to dissolve ingredients

22-Nov-19
want to do a salt cured venison ham or shoulder get a jumbo Ziploc bag use the same ingredients 1/2 cup tender quick 1/2 cup brown sugar. 1 to 3 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper 2 cups water put everything in bag & in fridge for 3-4 day's & smoke I also lay strips of bacon over the meat this will be pink inside & fast very similar to smoked pork ham. time in smoker varies depending on weather conditions & size of peices of meat 200 degrees for 4-5 hours

22-Nov-19
Thanks ghost my recipe is similar to yours but probably not as good. I’ll try yours. I use equal parts soy and worchester and a little liquid smoke plus spices.

23-Nov-19
You’re welcome, hope you enjoy it.

23-Nov-19

Bmiller21's embedded Photo
Bmiller21's embedded Photo
I use the same dehydrator as cnelk and it works great. If you like spicy give this one a go: Bottle of yoshidas teriyaki Fill bottle of yoshidas with orange juice and add in 1/2 bottle of wrights liquid smoke Bottle of spicy habanero sauce, find one you like 1/4-1/2 cup minced garlic (optional) Cross cut venison or flank steak or rump roast (your preference) to 1/2” pieces and make sure to rotate racks!

24-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Try a TBSP of this stuff in 5lb of jerky/sausage meat

24-Nov-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Smoking these now. It’s a Bologna mix from The Sausage Maker with moose meat.

24-Nov-19

Made these yesterday. Cajun brats with pepper jack and Carolina Reaper dust from PS Seasonings. Anyone looking to add real spice/heat to their jerky or sausage should buy that reaper dust. It’s unreal.

25-Nov-19

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Had the day off so I mixed some up last night and its drying at the moment. Kids will devour it.

25-Nov-19

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Second batch!

27-Nov-19

Tradman and Huntress's Link
Mike- i make whole muscle jerky, and have used several different recipes over the years- until I tried the Hig Mountain Jerky Cure at a local grocery store. The seasoning blend is perfect every time. Just slice your meat, measure the cure and spices, sprinkle on the meat and let it marinate overnight before dehydrating. I've never had a bad batch, and it's easy peasy. You can find the kits at just about any outdoor shop and many grocery stores.

27-Nov-19

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I like to smoke it and finish the jerky in the oven...dehydrators make the jerky too dry for my tastes. Put oven at lowest temp(mine is 170°) and stick an oven pad/mitt in the door to prop open a bit, let's moisture out. Still takes some checking and "taste testing" to get it just right.

28-Nov-19
I am hungry now. Wow.

28-Nov-19
I'd like to see a good breakfast sausage recipe, on the mild side. Not into hot, unless it's... never mind. I would do it bulk or i can stuff it.

Also, a good summer sausage recipe. When deer hunting in Colorado this year another hunter gave me some. Best I ever had. He left before I could get the recipe. He had rattled off ingredients. I remember there was some jalapeno and cheese in it. Told him I was cautious trying it cuz he was(and still is) Hispanic but it was not too hot, just a tang to it.

28-Nov-19

midwest's Link
I've done a lot of my own recipes but I still like all the stuff I get from Curley's Sausage Kitchen the best. Plus he's just a great guy.

28-Nov-19
Look at Witts Seasonings. They make some good flavors

29-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
More jerky making today. This is the overflow from my dehydrator.

28lbs of deer & elk made into jerky and sausage in the past couple weeks. More to go.

01-Dec-19
Kitchen oven right on the rack. I grind my meat and add the curing and spices. I like Hi Country and Hi Mountain spice/cure mixes.

01-Dec-19
I’m with tradman, Hi Mountain ( original ) receipt is my favorite. Whole muscle meat. Cooked in oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours depending on how thick slices are. Have not found a faster or easier way to do it, and it’s usually gone before it gets to room temperature if the kids are home.

05-Dec-19
I also use High Mountain cure. I love the Hickory the best. Sliced Muscle meat marinated and stirred in the fridge 5 days. The meat will be dark and not drip much while drying in a 200 degree oven on jerky racks with the oven door cracked open by sticking a wooden spoon between the oven door and frame so that the moisture escapes while drying. 2 hours normally but I start checking it at 90 minutes.

05-Dec-19
I'm very surprised so few use a smoker to me the difference between good jerky & great jerky is the smoke. I have a batch of K Cummings summer sausage recipe in the fridge now I left out the hickory smoke salt cause I'm gonna use my smoker can't wait to try it. it sure smells good

06-Dec-19

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
This is good!

06-Dec-19
I use a stackable tray dehydrator. It came with five trays, and when doing a large batch, I add two more. Works just fine.

06-Dec-19
I'm with you timex! I do jerky AND sausage, bologna and snack sticks in my smoker. Just can't get the same flavor out of "liquid smoke"! ;-)

09-Dec-19
I was at cabelas yesterday and almost bought a dehydrator but didn’t know which one to get. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Am looking to make some jerky. Thanks

09-Dec-19
Hey K Cummings......Any cure added to those sticks? How long will they last in the fridge? Thanks and gonna try your recipe this weekend hopefully.

06-Feb-20
Hey Ian, I tried out the Hot & Spicy Jerky Recipe this past weekend with ground meat and did 2 other batches of High Mountain Jerky mix. Your recipe was the clear favorite. I have to fight my wife and 4 year old over it. Thanks for the recipe! Danny

06-Feb-20
That’s awesome Danny, I’m happy that you and the fam enjoy it. Did you make it with deer, elk antelope, beef or? Just wondering, I have not had one complaint ever regardless of the species I make that jerky with. Also, try the cracked peppercorn recipe whenever you get a chance, you won’t be disappointed.

06-Feb-20
I use the same type dehydrator as cnelk. I just made a quick batch of beaver jerky a couple days ago. Used a hot spice mix and jerky gun. We're having fun having people try it before telling them its beaver.

07-Feb-20
Is that stuff that is oven cooked or smoker cooked actually jerky? Can you leave it out with no refrigeration?

09-Apr-20
Hey Ian just saw your question on this thread as I went to get the recipe for another quarantine batch this weekend. Gonna try both this time around. To be honest it was a elk/deer mixture I used last time (I usually go through and look for my oldest meat to use for jerky) Thanks again!

09-Apr-20
The oven makes fine Jerky. Hank Shaw has a recipe put there using peppers in Adobo sauce. Pretty dang tasty.

10-Apr-20
I love me some good jerky. I can't wait to try that sweet and hot recipe.

• Sitka Gear