BOHNTR 05-Dec-19
'Ike' (Phone) 06-Dec-19
midwest 06-Dec-19
BOHNTR 10-Dec-19
Trial153 10-Dec-19
pirogue 10-Dec-19
21-Nov-19

Huntcell 's Link
Some units have reduction , some increases, a lot stay the same. Of course some are in their rotation to be available in a given year for September rut hunts.

Hope the link to PDF file works

21-Nov-19
Man. Those are early archery dates.....and I thought this year was too early. ??

21-Nov-19
Turning into Utah...

22-Nov-19
Sept 11-24 is a far cry from Utah dates this year of Aug 17- Sept 13....

22-Nov-19
Turning into New Mexico from the looks of it (season ending 9/24).

22-Nov-19
No changes in my preferred 2 units of choice.

Thanks for the link Huntcell

Good luck, Robb

22-Nov-19
New Mexico it is...Lol

22-Nov-19
As far as the season date goes, it always opens on the same Friday (I can't remember if it's the second Friday in September, or I think it's something complicated like "the first Friday following the second Thursday..."). Because the calendar naturally loses one day each year, Friday was on 9/15 two years ago, 9/14 last year, 9/13 this year...., the date moves forward one day each year in order to always start on a Friday. This year it would have been 9/12, but 2020 is a leap year, so that particular Friday will occur on 9/11. Every seven years, the "second Friday" (or whatever the predetermined Friday is) on the calendar naturally rolls forward 7 days moving it back to a later date in September. Then it will begin to lose one date number per year for another 7 years, then roll back, etc. etc.

22-Nov-19
I’ve got a silly question. Does anyone know of or have been successful in the nov archery season? Seems very difficult

22-Nov-19
Season dates are explained and outlined in the approved 2018-2013 hunt guidelines.

Early archery on Friday of week 37 or week 38 if an early general bull hunt starts on Friday of week 37 Late archery elk on Friday of week 45 or week 46

22-Nov-19
I think when I first started hunting AZ, it was close to the 11th for opener ...That was in 2001...

22-Nov-19
I like the dates, now all I need is a tag......

22-Nov-19
From what I seen Nd heard of harvest hunting 6B this year, they need to drastically lower the number of permits.

22-Nov-19
I heard it from more then I person with lots of boots on the ground time that quality in some units have fallen by wayside and with the tag allocations being to high for too long

22-Nov-19
Not sure about quality being down.....I have over 12 that I’m scheduled to measure for B&C after Thanksgiving.....and not all of them are from the Rez. Several are over 400”.

22-Nov-19
From what I have seen over the last decade or so the quality of bulls is pretty consistent. The big change is the quantity of elk. Elk numbers are way down especially since 2012. In AZ we are killing way too many cows IMO. Rifle hunters, muzzy hunters and youth hunters are slaying the baby makers. Multiple cow hunts per unit and the cows just don't stand much of a chance. G&F issues very few archery cow tags or I would even add them to the list. Gotta pay for all those biologist that study owls, ferrets, condors, bats, amphibians, wolves, humpback chubs etc I suppose?

As far as hunt start dates go I kind of like the earlier start. Not as much bugle action but bigger bulls seem to be more vulnerable because they are not always herded up yet.

23-Nov-19
Bowman, I agree with what you say about 6B. That was the first unit I looked at when I opened the link, and was unpleasantly surprised that they didn't lower the permits. It was terrible in that unit this year, BY FAR the worst I've ever seen there (although it has been getting very steadily worse for a number of years now).

24-Nov-19
"I’ve got a silly question. Does anyone know of or have been successful in the nov archery season? Seems very difficult"

I had a November archery bull tag this year in a good unit. Did three scouting trips for a total of ten days in the unit before turning the tag in. It could be a fun hunt due to the lack of hunting pressure. It just depends on your goals.

24-Nov-19
CK ,I was thinking it would be fun. I don’t need another elk mount. Looking for a good experience. With a decent chance for success to a hard working hunter. Decent being 10- 15% chance. I will take those odds

26-Nov-19
1000 fewer rifle bull tags and 100 fewer Archery Bull tags. Makes drawing harder and harder. Hope the herds rebound.

26-Nov-19
ESP it’s right around those odds of success. The bad is....the elk are quiet, not moving much and usually in the thickest nastiest cover. The good is...once you find a bull or this time of year it’s usually a few bulls together, they don’t move much, are pretty mellow and stalkable. I got really really lucky on my late hunt ‘15. Thinking of going back one of these years.

05-Dec-19
Measured two bulls yesterday.....both from the White Mountains (Rez). Both netted 422 and some change.

06-Dec-19
Damn...Regs soon, can’t wait!

06-Dec-19
Unreal, Roy. Don't suppose you can post any pics?

10-Dec-19
Nick:

PM sent.

10-Dec-19
Sucks for the odds that they lowered tags but it’s good for the herd. Tag numbers been too high for too long. Hopefully we get a rebound

10-Dec-19
Looks like almost a 5% overall reduction.

• Sitka Gear