Buglmin 23-Nov-19
Franklin 23-Nov-19
Grey Ghost 23-Nov-19
WapitiBob 23-Nov-19
Franklin 23-Nov-19
midwest 25-Nov-19
Trial153 25-Nov-19
22-Nov-19
How do you diagnose a cam that is bent from damage as opposed to cam lean? What is cam lean exactly? I have an olderish bow that I love that became untunable due to one of the above conditions, and I've not talked to a tech that inspired confidence that either diagnosis is correct.

22-Nov-19
Cam lean would be the axle running through the cam is straight but is not square. Several things could cause that. Could be as simple as if you have a yolk running to each side of limb and length of one side is off. Could be a bad limb on bow causing it to twist. I’ve seen the spacers between limbs and cam cause lean. Other issue as well.

22-Nov-19
First question is did you have an incident that would have caused the cam to be bent? Any quality machinist can tell you if it is bent, but you would need to remove it for them to examine it.

22-Nov-19
It's a 2013 Answer, I somewhat understand the yoke concept but it doesn't apply here. I am figuring out if replacement parts are even possible on a past model. IMO selling bows for high $$ should be supported for a long time.

I use my bow and it's certainly possible I fell and bent it. It's not square. But I am not sure how I tell. I'm a hunter and not much into the tech. I used one of the latest and greatest bows this year, but I didn't like it much.

22-Nov-19
Lay a flat edge on the side of the cam as beat you can.

22-Nov-19
A 2013 Answer isn`t really that old.....I have a Elite dealer close to me. Would you want me to inquire....it would be no trouble. One of my bows is an Elite so I know the guy. Let me know if I can help.

22-Nov-19
It is an Elite, they are known for cam lean. I remember people were swapping top and bottom limbs, shimming the limbs, replacing the limbs. Giving up and getting a more reliable brand of bow.

22-Nov-19
Yeah, but I have not met a better shooting compound bow until it wasn't. And I cannot figure out fir certain what what went south.

22-Nov-19
The cams on all the new bows have so little material to support any kind of real world use unless you walk golf paths to your treestand, big downfall.

23-Nov-19
"The cams on all the new bows have so little material to support any kind of real world use unless you walk golf paths to your treestand, big downfall." Very true, In the name of speed and smoothness! Cam lean is good as long as it leans in your favor, my buddy had a bowtech guardian, the top cam lean is aweful but it tunes easy, even with a biscuit

23-Nov-19
Cam lean on the newer Elites are adjusted with tuning the cable slide, or shimming the cam. Any bow with big cams have cam lean, and most use yours to adjust and tube with. Because the Elites don't have yokes, you best learn to shim cams. My 2019 Option 7 had no cam lean, still don't. My Prime Black does have cam lean, but not too bad.

23-Nov-19
Excuse me JohnMC but...BS. Yes... I am an elite fanboy. Been shooting them since 09. Have owned 4 and currently have 3 different models. No cam lean on any of them. None of the guys I know who have them have issues with cam lean. You have been listening to too much hear say. Elk... one of my bows is a 13 Answer. It is my favorite of all that I have owned, including Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Browning and Martin. (2 GT500's, 1 Answer and a Synergy). Up until recently, anyone could buy directly from Elite. Now you have to go thru a dealer. Not a bad thing, as the dealer can look it over and make a recommendation of what you might need. In the past, Elite has kept a large inventory of parts for nearly every model they have built. Not having seen the bow, I would suspect a bent cam or a cam bearing gone bad. Their cams are designed to bend if dry fired to protect the limbs and other components. Not suggesting you have dry fired it, but with the "link" they put in the cam, a fall or drop could bend it. A bad bearing could cause all kinds of issues. One of the reasons I have stayed with Elite is the stability of the binary cam system. With all my Elites, once the bow is set up, cam sync just does not change... ever. Not so with the other brands I have owned. Should the string or cables stretch, cam rotation will change which affects draw length and bow efficiency. Start your investigation by checking the axel to axel length and brace measurements. If they are crazy off, that could be a suspect, which would be a string or cable issue. Put the bow on a draw board and draw it back while carefully watching things. Something may visually show up. Place it in a bow press and check to see if there is any cam play, which could be a sign of a bad bearing. Might look over your rest closely. I've had rests go bad. If you have one, put on a whisker biscuit and see if things stabilize. One thing about a biscuit is they are very consistent. Good luck. Post what the fix is once you figure out the problem.

23-Nov-19
Bowdude,

No doubt you are a fanboy. All standard 2 tracks have cam lean. It is inherent to the system.

23-Nov-19
Yes, all cams have cam lean, and once in a shooting machine, you can see it better. Guys think looking a a bow that's not drawn will show them cam lean, it doesn't. You see it at full draw. The bigger the cam, the more cam lean. Like stated, cam lean can be effected by the cable guard. My Athens was and adjusting the cable guard and using a different cable slide helped a bunch, but shimming the cams almost perfected it. Like I said, my option 7 had no cam lean, loved shooting bare shafts. A 2014 new in the box senergy had no cam lean when I shot it and messed with it. I should of bought that dang bow!

23-Nov-19
"Fanboy" because he owns a Elite...lol The OP said his bow was shooting just fine until just recently, so obviously even to the slow, something has changed. If you can maybe look into a more qualified bow shop near you, but you have a issue that just recently came up and should be easy to figure out.

This isn`t about what bows or cams YOU love....it`s about elk yinzer`s problem.

23-Nov-19
OP,

Is it one or both cams that lean? Do they lean at rest, or at full draw, or both? And how much do they lean in degrees, approximately.

Bowfreak is correct, there's is a bit of inherent cam lean in that system because of lateral forces applied to the cam in only one direction. Without yokes, there is nothing to offset those forces. Over time, the limbs start twisting in that direction, compounding the lean. Shims may help to reduce the nock walk that is causing your bow to be untunable, a little, but I doubt you'll eliminate it completely without a new set of limbs.

Matt

23-Nov-19
If the bow used to shoot, cam lean isn't the problem; it's been there from day one. Press the bow and use a carpenter square and check for a bent cam or a bearing that's gone south.

23-Nov-19
X2 ^^^^^^

25-Nov-19
How old are the string and cables?

25-Nov-19
An Elite Answer is great hunting bow, I have tuned a few of them and owned one for bit. "Cam lean " isn't your issue. You referenced that the bow tuned and shot fine and now some thing happened that is preventing that.

If you have a damaged cam, bent axle or bad bearing that's a separate issue and no relation to"cam lean". Every single bow regardless of the cam system, be it binary, hybrid, duel cam or single cam will have varying degrees of cam lean either at static or a full draw. Why is that? As long as you have a cable guard that moves cables to one side for clearance you will have induced cam lean.

The only system that will have virtually no lean is a shot through cable system which several target bows have, however they come with there own set of issues.

I don't know how far you are from albany NY but if are close and wanted to stop by I am sure I can get it squared away in short order. I am sure most half way decent bow techs that work in a shop should be able to do the same. How far are you from Lancaster they are elite dealer and 13 answers are covered under a life time warranty. I am sure they can get you up and running in short or send the bow to elite for repairs.

• Sitka Gear