Wapitidung 05-Dec-19
Dale06 05-Dec-19
badbull 05-Dec-19
Adventurewriter 05-Dec-19
deerslayer 07-Dec-19
24-Nov-19

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
I've not hunted pronghorn yet. This herd is not in an area that they can be hunted, but wow they are sketchy. I got a few photos. For those of you that trophy hunt antelope, how do these rate? They look good tome, but I don't know how to field judge them.

24-Nov-19
Bottom one is a shooter in most people's book. Looks like he would score mid 70's. Upper buck is smallish but I'd take him. They all eat well!

24-Nov-19
I'd shoot either one.

It's a fun hunt, an underrated hunt for sure. The meat is great too.

24-Nov-19

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
Here is another picture of part of that same herd.

24-Nov-19
I agree with Bowfly and Kodiak. Either one. I hunt mostly for the meat and the experience. A decoy type antelope rut hunt is about the most fun I’ve ever had on a bowhunt. Hunting goats from a ground blind can be boring as hell and most places I’ve hunted them doesn’t lend itself to spot and stalk, not enough cover. For that reason, I’ve killed most of mine from a ground blind.

24-Nov-19
Nice bucks and photos. If you are looking at score....most 11 to 12+" bucks with decent mass will make P&Y. I would say several of those bucks ought to make P&Y minimums. B&C has a lot higher standards. None of the bucks in your photos are very close to B&C. Similar to just about all horned big game species, mass makes up a large % of pronghorn score. Length and prongs are also important.

Waterhole blinds are a great option for antelope...especially in areas with limited water sources. It's possible to spot and stalk but often end up in frustration. Obviously broken up country with ridges and sage are a lot easier to stalk antelope than flat, short grassy areas. As mentioned above, decoying can be a kick but it's mostly a matter of timing of the season and rut. Some states like Wyo have rifle seasons during the rut....which may not be too terribly smart if hiding behind a decoy with bow? Decoys may be mute before or after the rut but a blast if you time the rut right. According to some, antelope meat is fantastic table fare. Just make sure you get the stinky hide off quick during the rut....which also aids in cooling down the meat.

24-Nov-19
First pic, I think you’d have to have something pretty special on you wall already to pass him up.

I wouldn’t pass up the guy on top of the hill, either. Length looks quite respectable even in low-res on my phone.

For context, I’ve never hunted them but I lived among them for a few years in Laramie and have seen plenty of them in the field and on people’s walls.

24-Nov-19
The buck on the bottom is a nice buck, good mass, nice prong, great length and deep hooks. I would think he would go higher than 75". The top one is a pass, you can see how high his ear comes up on his horn.

Just about every herd has a "shooter"....even in a iffy area. That`s what is great about Pronghorn hunting, there are a lot of animals and a shot at a good buck.

25-Nov-19

painless's embedded Photo
Grilled Pronghorn backstrap & crawfish pie. Hard to beat!
painless's embedded Photo
Grilled Pronghorn backstrap & crawfish pie. Hard to beat!
Best meat I've ever eaten.

25-Nov-19
The bottom buck looks to be a respectable buck, all of the others are just average for most areas. He does lack the mass above the prong to be a truly big buck, but he's probably a good buck for the area (and most areas). Antelope size can vary a lot depending on the state and individual region. When hunting them, the best thing you can do is put in the time to see a lot of them in the area your hunting, then try to figure out how to take the biggest one you can find. You can only take the biggest buck your area can produce, so no point in worrying how a particular buck compares to others across the country. If you decide you want to take a really big one, you need to hunt one of the areas of the country capable of producing an over sized one.

05-Dec-19
They eat dang good and the bottom buck is a good one. Werner Ranch 2020.

05-Dec-19
Like others said, good eating. And that bottom buck is for sure a shooter.

05-Dec-19
Look for mass with larger prongs for an outstanding buck. Sometimes a 16" buck turns into a 12" buck when you walk up to it.

05-Dec-19
top one goes 13 inches and the bottom about 15

07-Dec-19
Yep, my most preferred of all backstraps. Those who say antelope doesn't taste good don't know proper field care.

• Sitka Gear