TooManyBowsBob 25-Nov-19
StickFlicker 25-Nov-19
6x6bulz 25-Nov-19
TooManyBowsBob 27-Nov-19
DL 28-Nov-19
Horniac 28-Nov-19
Horniac 28-Nov-19
24-Nov-19
Looking for recommendations! I am 31 years old and love to bow hunt my home state of Virginia but I have started to look into some out of state hunts. Obviously, a lot of out of state hunts require you to draw a tag with some needing preference points etc. Outside of the obvious Iowa whitetail, what are some "must do" hunts that I could start buying preference points for? I would really like to go somewhere every year or two and would like to start "banking" points now.

24-Nov-19
Also, this was supposed to be the "General" icon. Not sure how Africa got there. I tried to edit but it I didn't see a way to edit that part. Sorry.

24-Nov-19
I would watch Randy Newberg videos on how to draw tags and how to apply. He goes state by state on how each western state draw is broken down. The problem is if you start banking points now you may never get a tag with point creep in draw states. Here in NM I think we might be the only state that doesn't have a point system so it is just luck of the draw. I would look at pronghorn hunts in Wyoming and elk hunts in Montana and Wyoming as far as point hunts. Some states have elk over the counter tags but it is hard to say if they are going to go to a point system or not.

The other problem is the states may change the draw systems in the future so what you are planning on now may not be the same in 5-20 years when you start using your points.

24-Nov-19
You need to have a budget and a wish list. Get us that info and the guys here will give you goof info

24-Nov-19
Bambi

It's sad that no matter what you do your pref. Points may be worthless

I would approach it differently $ cold hard money. Save it and spend it for good landowner permits. High success. Big animals

It's what I told my son when he got out of college. Choose a career with a high disposable income margin. Hunt smart in the hunt and the planning. He did

24-Nov-19
No specific wish list or budget but I am mainly thinking Elk, Mulies, Antelope, Whitetail. I am willing to spend fair prices for quality hunts. I know some areas can be better for "trophy" animals and others can be better for "numbers" so if it matters, I would probably lean more towards the numbers side until I get one under my belt.

Thanks in advance

24-Nov-19
RK, Thanks. Luckily, I own my own real estate company and have been very blessed to have the time to hunt and fish more than most. While my budget is not endless, I am willing to spend money for these hunts. I am fairly new to this and appreciate any feedback at all.

24-Nov-19
You got it made. Private land hunts. Landowner stuff. They are still great hunts and you can actually plan rather than waiting for some civil servant bean counter to contact you or worse continue to find ways to milk you out of more money for "possible" future increased draw odds

24-Nov-19
Study how the different draw systems work, have reasonable expectations based on the number of apps ahead of you per species, and you'll be just fine.

24-Nov-19
My advice would be to have a very specific plan in mind for each state and species that you buy points for. I say that because you have listed 4 species, all of which you could begin doing quality hunts for next year, without “building points” at all. This is even more true, given that you’ve stated that your budget capability will be large. As an example, why build elk points in Colorado for 30 years as a NR, spending thousands of dollars to do so, in order to hunt a public land unit, one time, for a 280-300 class bull, when you can buy as good or better hunts elsewhere, as often as you want. So, as I say, just have a solid, well-thought-out plan before you launch.

24-Nov-19
I agree with Rob and sticksender. If you have the means and availability. Book a couple hunts and go next year! I’m not a big points game guy. I feel it’s worth getting a couple in WY and MAYBE Colorado. And Iowa for a whitetail if that interests you. Everything else I personally just save my $ and purchase the hunts I want. I know that may not be the most popular answer on bowsite, but I love adventurous hunts, and many I would NEVER go on if I play their silly points games.

Figure out what you want to do and go do it!

—jim

25-Nov-19
A few years ago I went with Wide Rack Outfitters in Ohio. No points needed and during the week the 6 of us saw over 300 deer. I took my biggest ever, a 235# 14 pointer.

TMBB

25-Nov-19
My advice would be to read the several other posts on exactly this same question posted here in the past year.

25-Nov-19
There are more OTC and 1-2 point draw hunts for quality big game animals in the Western States on public land than you will ever have time to hunt. All it takes is some research, self-reliance and the actual ability to hunt. Why in the world would you pay for guided hunts and private land access. It is infinitly more rewarding and more of an accomplishment to do it yourself. My family has hunted the majority of big game species available in the Western US and Alaska and it cost us little more than tag fees, fuel, food and some good gear.

By the way, I am a pretty average guy on an average salary. Do the research, learn how to hunt and the opportunities are endless!

27-Nov-19
6x6, Well that's kind of easy to say if you live in the area where the critters are and have experience hunting them. If you take a guy who would have to tote all the gear necessary from the east, possibly a 4 day drive each way, then plunk down in an area he knows little about (except for the "research" he's done you are talking about almost a month long excursion to go hunt an animal he has little first hand knowledge of. That might work for some, but it doesn't for me. Besides I've learned an awful lot from hunting with outfitters who know their craft. I haven''t always taken an animal, but I've always learned things that I could use later. TMBB

28-Nov-19
Here’s another thought to do while you’re waiting on points accumulation. Buying raffle tickets for hunts. Almost every WSF chapter has a raffle for sheep hunts. I know right now here in California there’s a raffle for a Tule elk hunt on a private ranch. It’s for a 5 point bull but it’s better odds than applying. These raffle tickets are $100. Each and they have a limit of 300-500 tickets. They have an Alaska bear hunt advertised here on the bowsite. With some states you have to buy a NR license every year even to apply for hunts. Just a thought. The year I got my CA desert ram there were 2 fellas that got drawn that had never applied before. 2 out of 17. Good luck.

28-Nov-19
Since you are fairly “late to the party” on acquiring preference/bonus points and you have the disposable income I would purchase a subscription to Epic Outdoors or the Huntin’ Fool for $100/year to shorten your learning curve. Even pay them to do your hunt applications tailored to your specific goals and hunt objectives and then go the landowner tag/guaranteed tag route as others have suggested while your points are being accumulated. I would be very selective about what states/species I am building points for in this day and age...

Horniac

Horniac

28-Nov-19
Since you are fairly “late to the party” on acquiring preference/bonus points and you have the disposable income I would purchase a subscription to Epic Outdoors or the Huntin’ Fool for $100/year to shorten your learning curve. Even pay them to do your hunt applications tailored to your specific goals and hunt objectives and then go the landowner tag/guaranteed tag route as others have suggested while your points are being accumulated. I would be very selective about what states/species I am building points for in this day and age...

Horniac

Horniac

• Sitka Gear